goofyjumper

Buying stuff in DZ.com

I'm not sure if this thread will get moved or not. There are a couple canopies I am interested in. How does this work? I dont just want to send money to a stranger but I know that most people on here are honest. I asked them to send the canopy to my rigger. Is that wrong? I just dont know what to do. Please help!
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

Nope, that's a totally reasonable way to do it - as long as your rigger's on board with acting as a neutral third party. He or she inspects it, and if it's cool, tells you to go ahead and send money to the seller. If not, either negotiate (if it's something you still want but your rigger thinks it's not worth what the seller is asking), or send the canopy back.

I should say that I've only done it that way once, when I was the seller. In every other case either I've known the person I'm buying from, or I've found a mutual friend to say "Yep, this person's someone I'd do business with." Or the transaction price is low enough that I'm willing to take the risk (but a canopy wouldn't fall into the category).

On a side note, glad to see you buying gear. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I bought my entire set up on DZ.com and have experiences with all types of transactions

Container and reserve - through Skydive Store in NJ so didn't really worry much

AAD - GravityGirl, very trustable source so again, not worried.

Canopy - Total stranger...he gave me his name and DZ and I called the DZ to verify who he was, so only kind of worried but it checked out

RW suit - total stranger, absolutely no verification whatsoever [:/] but, he didn't seem sketchy so I sent him the $, I got the suit.

Never did the whole rigger third party but its a pretty common avenue purchasing gear me thinks.

Nope, that's a totally reasonable way to do it - as long as your rigger's on board with acting as a neutral third party. He or she inspects it, and if it's cool, tells you to go ahead and send money to the seller. If not, either negotiate (if it's something you still want but your rigger thinks it's not worth what the seller is asking), or send the canopy back.

I should say that I've only done it that way once, when I was the seller. In every other case either I've known the person I'm buying from, or I've found a mutual friend to say "Yep, this person's someone I'd do business with." Or the transaction price is low enough that I'm willing to take the risk (but a canopy wouldn't fall into the category).

On a side note, glad to see you buying gear. B|

Thanks hun. I am so excited.
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

The ones for sale are a Sabre 2 170. Exacxtly what I want.

I really want it.

Since you are at the Farm - ChutingStar is well known enough that NO one should have a problem sending them gear for a rigging intermediary. I am not sure if they charge for escrow services like that.

The ones for sale are a Sabre 2 170. Exacxtly what I want.

I really want it.

Since you are at the Farm - ChutingStar is well known enough that NO one should have a problem sending them gear for a rigging intermediary. I am not sure if they charge for escrow services like that.

They do, but it's not much.

That would be my choice as well, if I were in the OP's shoes.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message