fcajump

I am comfortable exiting at... (non-emergency)

Is there someone on this discussion that pulled lower than 2500 and had a mal requiring reserve procedure?

Several.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>? The airplane sets the windspeed at exit. You can check it by looking at the airspeed indicator. The breeze doesn't affect it at all.

perhaps this was one of those airplanes that are attached to the earth with a long rope or truss-like boom..........

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is there someone on this discussion that pulled lower than 2500 and had a mal requiring reserve procedure?

sure - I pull around 2500 with my Stiletto 120 and 2000 on all my earlier rigs since I started in '87. I did raise my pull altitude when I transitioned to this canopy (sequence was Pegasus, Maverick, Sabre, Stiletto). The Stiletto opening sequence was tangibly much slower than all my previous canopies and I adjusted accordingly.

last mal was a PC in tow - no issues, it went by very fast, still in the saddle with enough time to choose from several landing areas and to track my freebag

prior one was a low speed mal (very tangled steering lines)

I only have one mal above 2500, and that was a CrW wrap.

But we learned in Cessnas, and static line had your first jumps at 3500 feet or less, so never learned to fear altitudes less than 5K like so many turbine babies do nowadays.

we also walked barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, to the DZ

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes, I have. Back in 1976. Dumped at 2000 Streamer on a Papillion Round Main. Cutaway with capewells, deployed 24' Flat Round Reserve . Nothing ever hurt so good.

Yeah, my only cutaway was on a jump where my audible was set to 2500, so I probably threw out just under that. Main fully opened and spinning just in time to set off my 1500 ft alarm. Located my handles and chopped, reserve fully open about 1100 ft. Soft landing in a cow pasture.
Brian

I have a few times.

The club where I started jumping in the 70's did a LOT of accuracy jumping, those were one pass loads in a 182 @ 2200'.

I had a couple of malfunction doing those, one with capewells & a belly wart. What was really most unnerving was the 500 to 700 feet a rings & ropes main took to deploy sub-terminal...you knew you were 'low' to to begin with so you reacted to any problems accordingly.

In my 'more balls than brains' years, I took it to a grand at terminal many times, I did have a steamer once and got the reserve open at around 300'...that put an end to that bullshit! :ph34r:

It seems to me to be a 'cultural' thing, this 'fear' of being below 2500' without an open main.

It does make for some eye rolling to an extent for us small club old farts that were brought up making a lot of what today are considered 'low' jumps.

But overall I think that in today's commonly high exit, turbine days, it's nice that everybody gives themselves a bit more time during that critical part of the fall.

I have no problem with pulling lower than 2500' if the situation requires it, however these days most of my fun jumps involve 4000' break-offs and pulling around 3000'. . .B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have no problem with pulling lower than 2500' if the situation requires it, however these days most of my fun jumps involve 4000' break-offs and pulling around 3000'. . .B|

Same here. We used to break at 3500 and be swinging by 2K, usually, now I'm usually in the saddle around 2500+.

I voted "2500 feet" in the poll. I've got plenty of jumps at 2k and a handful around 1000 feet, but I'm most comfortable jumping at 2500+. Lower than that and you really need to be on your toes to handle a mal. Not as conducive to a relaxed deployment.

What canopy were you jumping. I've had a broken steering line a couple times but nothing like you had.

A Sabre 1 190 of course. Funny thing was the opening didnt feel all that hard. My buddy on that jump watched my deployment and told me the canopy was coming out of the bag as it left the packtray. When we found the main it had 9 broken lines on the left side.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

My buddy on that jump watched my deployment and told me the canopy was coming out of the bag as it left the packtray.

That probably means that the locking stows came out (not stowed properly), or more likely that the locking stow bands broke. That is why I like locking stows that are not so easy to break. [/end thread drift]
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What canopy were you jumping. I've had a broken steering line a couple times but nothing like you had.

A Sabre 1 190 of course. Funny thing was the opening didnt feel all that hard. My buddy on that jump watched my deployment and told me the canopy was coming out of the bag as it left the packtray. When we found the main it had 9 broken lines on the left side.

Same thing happened to my steering line. Jump #1 on a new cobalt. It broke about a foot below the cascade but the opening wasnt hard. Weird shit happens sometimes.

It does make for some eye rolling to an extent for us small club old farts that were brought up making a lot of what today are considered 'low' jumps.

But overall I think that in today's commonly high exit, turbine days, it's nice that everybody gives themselves a bit more time during that critical part of the fall.

+1

The biggest problem I have with it now is that if I wanted to land last, free of all traffic (other than Tandems/AFFers) all I had to do was pull at the ridiculously high altitude of 4000' (solo/last). Of course I got talked to about why I was pulling that high... was there a problem??? :o

Now half the load is pulling above 5-6 for various reasons... :S

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

guys thanks for the reply. I was just curious if that is possible for experienced skydivers. It's probably the crucial moment the recognition of the mal, which happens quickly for experienced ppl and of course quick and proper reserve procedure. So, 2500 is possible if mal is not too nasty though.

thanks!

I do think people should be comfortable with exiting quickly, being stable immediately and going directly to their main. I also respect those who give themselves the comfort room to deal with issues that might arise.

------------
http://bargain-shoes.alltravelvenice.com/Colorful_Creations_Tiffany_Womens__Silver.aspx

Colorful Creations Tiffany Womens Silver