JerseyShawn

Robbed at gunpoint today...

>:(

So on the way to work today, 5:30 am, rolling through Oakland stopped at a red light. Two thugs walked up to my car, pointed a gun to my head and said to "Get the fuck out of my car, Ill pop you in the head". I get out because theres traffic crossing the street and I would of got hit or hurt someone else if I floored my car. Plus it would of only taken a second to put a bullet in my head no matter how fast my car was. Asked me where my money is, told them all my shit is in my backpack.

One guy told me to empty my pockets (the one without a weapon visible, who knows what he had) and he went to reach for my knife, which I always have clipped to my pocket and always razor sharp. Before he could even grab my knife I punched his arm good (Im trained in different martial arts and knife fighting, I can deliver an organ jostling punch effectively). So when I punched his arm it was a good blow in the inner elbow, he starts shaking his arm around, swearing at me and shit, saying he cant feel his arm. Good, fuck you! I wasnt giving up my knife as it would be the last tool I had to defend myself if they physically attacked me in a close combat situation. Or if they had got my blade and had a fake gun, they could of used it on me. I told them "Take my shit and get the fuck out of here".

Next the both of them were looking through my car with their backs turned to me. I had a split decision to make. Thought about necking (cutting the guy with the guns throat from behind), also occurred to me the other guy could have a gun and I wouldnt be able to take both of them. If it was one guy robbing me with his back to me, I would of cut his throat and contained his arms from shooting me while he bleed to death.

My girlfriends face kept popping in my head during all of this and I knew I couldnt get myself killed. How fucking sad she would be. Im glad Im able to think quick in a stressful situation and make all the right decisions. Oakland is known for its murderous ways and gang activity, I could of been killed without hesitation.

Went home after the police reports and such, gave my girlfriend a nice hug and a kiss (felt damn good to be able to be able to do that again). She helped me cancel all my credit/debit cards, went to Verizon and got a new phone, signed up for Fico credit reports to monitor any new accounts made fraudulently in the future from the thugs. Contacted my renters insurance and getting that squared away.

Now its high noon, and Im chillin' with my dog and cats drinking a few of my favorite brews, because Im alive:ph34r: I cant wait to go jump again and forget about how shitty the world below can be sometimes, even if its just for 15 minutes I can forget.

Wow, your adrenaline must have been pumping! In that kind of situation, it doesn't matter what you lose as long as you get out of it ok. Good job! B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Wow, your adrenaline must have been pumping! In that kind of situation, it doesn't matter what you lose as long as you get out of it ok. Good job! B|

I wasnt really adrenalined up at all. I always expect the worst, I guess that lets me stay calm in situations and prepared you could say. Even two of the police officers said I seem really calm considering the circumstances. They said most people are really shook up and all. Then one asked if I was on drugs or in the area looking for drugs:S because of my demeanor. Didnt believe me, but I work only a few miles away, so I have to pass through the hood!

Good to hear you're okay.

Can you conceal carry there?

Considering the circumstance of already having a gun to his head, what possible difference would it have made?

Because he clearly stated that they both had their backs to him during the robbery. The gun wasn't pointed at him then.

And his location isn't clear in his profile, but New Jersey carry permits are very difficult to get, almost impossible for the average citizen. (presuming "New Jersey" from his username)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Considering the circumstance of already having a gun to his head, what possible difference would it have made?

When their backs were to him he may have had an opportunity to take a few steps back and allow them to reassess their actions, while under the threat of great harm or death...as they did to him.

Don't know if I would have done anything different even IF armed, especially since they were attempting to disarm him of his knife...but it does pose an interesting question of options & opportunity.

Not being there it's easy to armchair the what-ifs, & obviously arguments can be made either way whether a firearm in his hands would have been a positive factor or a negative one.

All said & done, considering the outcome he did 110% the right thing.
Having a 'cool head' was no doubt the best thing to be armed with in this situation.

I can't commend JerseyS, strongly enough to properly relate how well in MY eyes he handled what could have been a very bad set of circumstances.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

He managed to punch one in the arm, and they both had their backs to him at one point.

I see it as a very valid question to ask if he is allowed to carry a firearm or if only the criminals carry them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Because he clearly stated that they both had their backs to him during the robbery. The gun wasn't pointed at him then.

And his location isn't clear in his profile, but New Jersey carry permits are very difficult to get, almost impossible for the average citizen. (presuming "New Jersey" from his username)

Jersey native, but I reside in CA, Bay Area.

You can barely get a .22 rifle in Jersey, forget about a CCW there.

I tried to get a CCW in San Francisco, but no one gets one there unless youre a judge, famous, or the likes. I live in San Mateo county now, talking to the sheriff today it seems a bit more doable to obtain one. I have to find out if carrying is allowed to areas that dont issue CCW to civilians in CA, like Oakland. Not that Im fearful anymore or less after today, but Ive wanted one for a while now.

As far as if I had a CCW this morning, when the two crooks had their backs turned, if I had shot them I would have got in trouble since at that moment they didnt pose a threat to my life, CA law. Even though I own a few firearms, if someone entered my apartment, robbed me, but didnt threaten my life, Im not allowed to shoot them. All I could do is make my firearm visible to deter them or something lame, and call 911. CA gives more rights to criminals sometimes.

If I had knifed one of them (please dont think I want to ever hurt anyone, unless its self defense), I could say I was in a struggle with them since I would have to be in close contact with the individual to do so and he had a firearm, or I thought they were going to kill me no matter what. Grey areas.

Note to everyone - no problem about talking what happened, but please avoid getting into the gun politics thing. (Already deleted one post along those lines.) There's Speaker's Corner for that.

It DOES seem to fit into our earlier discussion regarding 'good judgement' though, doesn't it? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Before he could even grab my knife I punched his arm good (Im trained in different martial arts and knife fighting, I can deliver an organ jostling punch effectively). So when I punched his arm it was a good blow in the inner elbow, he starts shaking his arm around, swearing at me and shit, saying he cant feel his arm.

Good job not getting dead. Sounds like you temped fate right there, though. You were very lucky his buddy didn't have a twitchy trigger finger.

5:30 am:o

Don;t the mcnasty's ever sleep.[:/]

I'd consider finding a new route to work. Or even in this economy a job somewhere else,

I could guess the description of the perps. Hard to pick the Mcnasty's out in a line up.

Did gooood. Except... you didn't go to work some places would fire you for that.:D

I tried to get a CCW in San Francisco, but no one gets one there unless youre a judge, famous, or the likes. I live in San Mateo county now, talking to the sheriff today it seems a bit more doable to obtain one. I have to find out if carrying is allowed to areas that dont issue CCW to civilians in CA, like Oakland. Not that Im fearful anymore or less after today, but Ive wanted one for a while now...

At risk of getting this deleted or moved to SC, AFAIK a CA permit is good for the entire state, it just has to be issued by the LE that covers your residence address. Not gonna make any comments beyond that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Good on you for getting through this unscathed.

Whatever it takes to do that is the 100% right thing to do. Doing whatever it takes to get through it alive is the next best thing to do. I am glad that you are OK.

Agree nothing else matters, no one can say right are wrong about that situation. As they where not there and it wasn't them or what other outcomes could have happened. You survived stuff can be replaced life can't be, you are alive and breathing good for you mate.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Note to everyone - no problem about talking what happened, but please avoid getting into the gun politics thing. (Already deleted one post along those lines.) There's Speaker's Corner for that.

but, it's REALLY tempting - can I just express sorrow for those two poor desperate young (likely honor students) men that were forced by a selfish society to have to take this rich young skydiver's property as fair compensation to corporate and government social oppression?????:P:P

No? ok, then I won't

good composure there, Jersey Shawn. It's pretty amazing when in a time of stress, just HOW MANY scenarios would run through your mind

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants