Skyper

How to save Youtube videos?

No reference to anybody specifically, but, am I the only person here who sees a minor inconsistency between the contents and advice in this thread, and some of the righteous indignation espoused by some in this other thread and directed at internet pirates, cheats, thieves?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4247031

You can also just copy the .flv from your internet cache sfter watching it. Easier to get a free program from somewhere.

Stupid question here - where are the cache files located (in Windows)?

Not a stupid question. I believe the location depends on which internet browser you are using, not what OS. I have been using only Firefox for 10+ years, and to view the cache in FF, just type "about:cache" (w/o the quotes) in the URL bar at the top. Then click on "list cache entries" under "disk cache device", and you'll get a list of what's in your cache.

I haven't done it in years, but I used to just copy the cached files. It looks like there are addons for FF designed to grab cached video. There is also freeware like this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/video_cache_view.html

If you're using MSIE, the files might be in "Temporary Internet Files".

The cache has a limited size (I think), and as it gets full, older file are written over.

Mine says this:

-------------

Disk cache device

Number of entries: 1582
Maximum storage size: 51200 KiB
Storage in use: 45449 KiB
Cache Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zlfznej2.default\Cache

List Cache Entries
---------------------

....after about 4 hours of use (It's set to clear the cache after closing my browser).

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

http://download.cnet.com/Free-YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-75219434.html?tag=mncol;3

Free, works and from download.com so it's 'clean'. Just make sure to do a custom install and not install the bloatware toolbar.

GOM media player is free and will grab stills from video as well.

No reference to anybody specifically, but, am I the only person here who sees a minor inconsistency between the contents and advice in this thread, and some of the righteous indignation espoused by some in this other thread and directed at internet pirates, cheats, thieves?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4247031

The windows Snip tool is specifically provided to capture stills of a screen's content. The sole purpose of Snip (or Camtasia SnagIt) is to capture screens.
What's your point?

The windows Snip tool is specifically provided to capture stills of a screen's content. The sole purpose of Snip (or Camtasia SnagIt) is to capture screens.
What's your point?

His point may be about downloading Youtube videos. I'm not sure.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

If you use Firefox there's a plugin for D/L, converting, and saving YouTube videos, or any other videos on the net. It's called downloadhelper. There's also stand alone programs that do the same thing.

And I hope the rest of you guys aren't Coaches or Instructors, the poor guy asked a simple question and no one seemed to understand it, lol.

NickD :)

I have used the FreeStudio by DVDVideoSoft for several years. It provides a lot of tools and also provides tools for uploading to YouTube and downloading. You can also download music and have it converted to MP3, even whole playlists. Very sophisticated with lots of bells'n'whistles.
I haven't found any problems with it, no spyware etc included. Just click "no" if you do not wish the toolbar to be installed and that is that.

P.S.: If you only want to use a few tools, you can download (and install) them separately, just scroll down the page (link above)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks