taylor.freefall

Anybody have experience as an "extra"??

This is a serious question. Long story short - I'm (we're) broke - and whilst I'm looking for work my wife suggested that I should just do extra work for now.
I've never done it before but would certainly like to hear from anybody that has - my wife did it years ago (which is why she suggested it to me) and said the money's not good, and it's long hours, but at least it's some money and it would get me out the house (probably more to the point...)

This is a serious question. Long story short - I'm (we're) broke - and whilst I'm looking for work my wife suggested that I should just do extra work for now.

Yes. It's generally not hard work. Mostly waiting around for something to happen. It doesn't pay hardly anything, but it can be a nice little side hobby that pays some pocket change. Also, they usually feed you. HOWEVER, make no mistake, you'll probably never make a living off it. Think minimum wage job you get called in to do a couple of times a year. If it's ever better than that, awesome, but certainly don't count on it.

The absolute easiest way to get into it and actually do a bit of work is to be reasonably YOUNG, female and as they say "18 to look younger." That is BY FAR the most requested trait. Next above that is roughly male and female college aged night club set and attractive. Then . . . everybody else.

Extra work falls into three very distinctive camps;

Non-Union
AFTRA - mostly TV work
SAG - mostly movie

This is going to shortly change with the merger of the SAG and AFTRA unions. Then it will simply be Union and non-union.

Generally speaking, people start out non-union and only after they start getting calls they'll join AFTRA. The entrance requirements for SAG are a bit higher in both experience and initiation fees.

You can go down to Central Casting and register on (I believe) Tuesdays and Thursdays. Get there EARLY. The place has always been a f'in' zoo. Bring your standard I-9 employment documents; driver's license AND Passport or birth certificate to PROVE you're an American citizen.

If you're not young and attractive, then you're probably what we'd call a "character." It helps to have a type. For instance, if you're 30-40ish, clean cut, reasonably in shape, you might be a cop type. Get a fresh clean hair cut before you go in to register and have your photo taken. If you have a nice suit and can pull off looking rich, well, when you go in, wear the nice suit and look distinguished.

Other than the young and attractive type, it really doesn't matter what you look like. TV and film needs ALL types from bankers to bums, from cops to hippies, athletes to quads in wheelchairs. If somebody needs your type, they'll call up your information in the database, look at it, decide whether or not you're right for it and give you a call.

http://www.centralcasting.com/

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My Father in law does quite a bit of extra work, he's definitely a character type.
He's 80 but acts 40, short & round with silver hair, a great goatee and a perfect ear to ear smile.

He's been in dozens of movies and has 'played' in countless TV shows. Got some commercial work a few years back. He tells it that a young stoner he befriended at Farmers Market WAY back when got him his first gig...Nicolas Cage.

Yeah it pays pocket change, but gives him something to do, he's a really active old d00d.

I was in two episodes of Renegade staring Lorenzo Lamas back in THOSE dayz.
Got fed but not paid, they were filming around the block from my place in Ocean Beach. I got 'pulled' from the crowd watching the filming.

I think you hit the nail Paul when ya said, athletic & clean cut...couple hundred years ago, that was ME! :ph34r:

Stood for a couple hours on the boardwalk having a fake conversation with a bikini bimbo in the background. Kraft was good though.

Couple days later watching again, the same guy came up and asked me if I could get clean jeans and dark nice collar shirt & be back in 30 minutes...did it in ten (lived 100 feet away) and was in a 1 take 2 second 'bar scene'.B|

Didn't know until it aired they were two different episodes.:S

Still haven't figured out exactly where I want my star on Hollywood Blvd. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes, I have done it, but I am an "insider" so it is not how I make my annual income.

There are numerous web sites popping up now to find the non-union stuff. Including fb and linkedin etc.

Union work is harder (IMO) to get on. Plus there are "lines" to be aware of, never defined clearly, when it comes to the B and A list actors and the extras. Some times those lines are drawn by the actors, some times the agents.

Good luck!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yes. I have worked a few times as an Extra. Cenex/Central Casting. Does not pay much, food was served. And was actually seen on Murphy Brown show. others on top of my head were a "smoker" on Water World, ER, Showgirls. a few more can't remember. Lots of time on phone, busy signals, get a Thomas Guide.