JohnnyMarko

Stupid mistake biting me in the ass....

Although I fought the case and it was eventually dropped, a potential employer found this record of me and mentioned it in an interview >:(. I didn't even know this was on the internet til I did a quick search of my name and school after the interview. I guess its a good lesson of how stupid mistakes will be following me/anyone forever because of the interwebz...kinda like posting this thread [:/]

Even though my case was dropped can potential employers still ask me about this?

I don't know about the legalities of employment, but every time you put something out there, it is one more place that pops up when someone does a search on you. It makes it that much easier for them. :S

You might want to delete this post too.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Although I fought the case and it was eventually dropped, a potential employer found this record of me and mentioned it in an interview >:(. I didn't even know this was on the internet til I did a quick search of my name and school after the interview. I guess its a good lesson of how stupid mistakes will be following me/anyone forever because of the interwebz...kinda like posting this thread [:/] Even though my case was dropped can potential employers still ask me about this?

That bulletin doesn't tell one if the case was dropped or prosecuted. Was this arrest because you were a minor that got busted drinking? that is what this sounds like. But I had to admit, it took me a few reads to realize that this wasn't a "contributing to a deliquency of a Minor" which in my book is unexcusable and deserves that kind of scrutiny. Maybe that's what they thought. If this pops up in an interview again, probably good to ask what they thought that dispatch meant.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I don't know about the legalities of employment, but every time you put something out there, it is one more place that pops up when someone does a search on you. It makes it that much easier for them. :S

My full name isn't on this site and I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, etc...

Other events happened, but yes, the main part was a minor drinking alcohol...On applications, I answer 'No' when it asks about being arrested or whatnot because my case was dropped after getting a good lawyer.

I think it would be smarter to answer "yes" truthfully and then explain it was an infraction when you were a minor for supposedly drinking and the case was dropped, but yes, you were arrested as a minor.

Once you've answered "no," they do a background check and find out you didn't answer truthfully, THAT is probably what screws your employment prospects.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Other events happened, but yes, the main part was a minor drinking alcohol...On applications, I answer 'No' when it asks about being arrested or whatnot because my case was dropped after getting a good lawyer.

I think it would be smarter to answer "yes" truthfully and then explain it was an infraction when you were a minor and the case was dropped, but yes, you were arrested as a minor.

Once you've answered "no," they do a background check and find out you didn't answer truthfully, THAT is probably what screws your employment prospects.

I suck at this law stuff but shouldn't I be able to answer no since the case was dismissed?

I think it would be smarter to answer "yes" truthfully and then explain it was an infraction when you were a minor and the case was dropped, but yes, you were arrested as a minor.

I suck at this law stuff but shouldn't I be able to answer no since the case was dismissed?

You should, but the fact remains you were arrested and since people can find that out via searches, it's WAY better for you to step forward ahead of time, admit and explain it, before they find out themselves and think you're trying to get away with something.

We're not talking about what is legally right or wrong . . . we're talking about employment. HR is NOT your friend. They will NOT overlook untruths if they discover them in your records, whether it's legal or not for them to even be looking for such things in the first place.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Aren't you the same person that posted about a minor having your ID for a night of drinking and then having an accident??

Jyess...Just a coincidence this has happened in a matter of 3 days and in regards to that, I'm cleared of anything. Had my ID returned to me yesterday without question.

Got it. You threw a pretty cool party that required cops to intervene. Unfortunately, some dipshit kid lied about his age or managed to find him(usually a "her") at the party at the time and now you are on the hook. Because you like Spongebob as quoted on your profile, I won't judge you. They, however, may have already. Tell the truth. Minors sneak in all the time. What do you got to lose.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Glad to hear that.

Just be careful what you put out there. It's not really hard to find out all kinds of stuff that you thought could never be tracked back to you.

ALWAYS use gloves, a plastic mattress cover, and TWO bags of Lime...:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Glad to hear that.

Just be careful what you put out there. It's not really hard to find out all kinds of stuff that you thought could never be tracked back to you.

ALWAYS use gloves, a plastic mattress cover, and TWO bags of Lime...:)

And a ski mask, just for GP! ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Got it. You threw a pretty cool party that required cops to intervene. Unfortunately, some dipshit kid lied about his age or managed to find him(usually a "her") at the party at the time and now you are on the hook. Because you like Spongebob as quoted on your profile, I won't judge you. They, however, may have already. Tell the truth. Minors sneak in all the time. What do you got to lose.

Wrong...no one lied about their age nor did I provide any minors with alcohol or anything....LOOOOONG ass story short, my past self had issues, roommate came home to me on the floor not breathing, insto-facto 911 and an ambulance later I get arrested the next day

Wrong...no one lied about their age nor did I provide any minors with alcohol or anything....LOOOOONG ass story short, my past self had issues, roommate came home to me on the floor not breathing, insto-facto 911 and an ambulance later I get arrested the next day

Damn. . my theory was more fun to hypothesize:P. Truthfully though, you made a personal mistake. It wasn't you being a deviant asshole, it was a phase when shit just catches up. Explaining it as such, who knows? Why lie at that point.

it would depend on the question.
Were you Convicted of a crime is one question
Were you arrested is a completely different question
Have you been charged is yet another
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My full name isn't on this site and I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, etc...

Vich full name is zat? You chose to create a handle here based on your name. A google search of your name brings up skydiving and specific references to DZ.com almost instantly. Even that Trained Monkey in HR would figure out your handle here in about 30 seconds.

Underage drinking is something most people can relate to. If it comes up turn it to a positive (for the employer): the case was dismissed, but it made you realize how easy it is for innocent actions to be misconstrued, and you are now more careful to protect your reputation and so that of your employer (just try not to snicker when you're saying it).

Lying on an application goes directly to your character, present day. Would you trust someone who has just demonstrated that they will lie if they think they can get some advantage? There are lots of applicants for every job these days; shit like that makes the choice easier for the HR trained monkey.

Don