skymama

If you had $1000 to spare...

What would you spend it on, assuming you are already debt free?

I just recently had to make a similar decision - got a $500 gift card from work as a spot bonus. I spent it on a chest freezer (something I'd been wanting to get for a long time), and a cat door that fits into my sliding glass door (something that cat had been wanting me to get for a long time - only he didn't know how to tell me). There was a little left over after that.

I'd say spend it on things that you want but haven't been able to fit into the budget yet (or haven't wanted to prioritize yet).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am debt free (other than the house), but in this economy and as long as I remain a freelancer rather than on a regular payroll, I will never have $1000 "to spare."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I am debt free (other than the house), but in this economy and as long as I remain a freelancer rather than on a regular payroll, I will never have $1000 "to spare."

+1 except the house is paid off and we're retired. The challenging economic conditions have kicked our butt. Wine wine wine pass the cheese:)
Hopeully our nest egg will last before we go to the other side. If not we'll try and max out the credit cards. After that we'll go for a life sentence in the big house for free room and board and medical in prison :P

I'd take my stunningly beautiful free flying girlfriend to PR for the boogie in February.
:P

But that's me.... :D:D:D

So you're suggesting Andrea should bring her stunningly beautiful free flying girlfriend to PR? But that'll leave you home all alone. :(;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So you're suggesting Andrea should bring her stunningly beautiful free flying girlfriend to PR? But that'll leave you home all alone.

Hahahahahahaha!! I wish we had a like button. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Take my wife on a weekend getaway.

Wow dude that is very Zen :)
Me? I guess a vacation for me? Maybe put it asside for jump money?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Personally I don't tend to think that way... I generally have simple wants and I generally don't like to get things I don't *need*. At some points in my life I had loads of "money to spare" and others barely enough to afford 1 meal per day... *What* I buy doesn't vary much but *when* I buy does... Sometimes I just need to wait longer before I get to do the things I want, that's all.

So if I had $1000 to play with I probably wouldn't do anything exciting/specific with it.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Exotic and figured hardwood lumber to build new cabinets for my favorite speakers that will be more like works of art and less like something you'd find in the bachelor pad where I built the originals.

zebra wood sides which coordinate very nicely with our decor
curly maple fronts and backs (the picture is a piece of one of my boards)
Gaboon ebony trim between the two (still need to pick boards. I only need 1/2" square with a longest length of 30" so that shouldn't be hard)

The drawer chest example is not mine; it comes from the web and shows what happens when you finish curly maple with shellac.

I'd like to say buy a new container that actually fits. Or fly to visit some friends in Europe. Or buy a new canopy that doesnt suck. Or boogie hop to a bunch of different places. Or finally make it to the west coast. Or go skiing. Or.... damn can I have more than $1000?

Funny you should ask. I gave my employees a $40 cash bonus each my wife took $100 I took $300 and the rest went into the kids ski trip fund.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

i'd spend 50 dollars on top shelf lobster tails..for a nice family dinner, linguini with tomato sauce and lobster meat.......B|

i'd give 150 dollars to each of my kids , to fill their gas tanks 3 times...[:/]

i'd take 100 dollars and treat my wife and myself to the movies 5 times....:)

i'd put 300 dollars on account At The Blue Sky Ranch
:DB|:)
i'd put 150 towards an area Christmas Dinner for vets and their families. :|

I'd buy 75 pairs of brown cotton work gloves @ a dollar / pair, to give to folks that i run accross, as i'm driving around, who have No gloves,,, and often no hat... :( ( i keep them in my truck, this time of year, for such purposes...) inexpensive,, and soooo well appreciated....People with cold hands... look at me like i'm santa claus......

And the last 25 $$$$ i'd put in my piggy bank,, for a rainy day
[:/] ya' never KNOW when it might rain.....

:)