davjohns

Nataly...help!

The US Army is sending me to England. What do I need to know?

Are they going to recognize my parachuting license? Hang gliding license? Driver license?

I know they aren't going to be happy about my gun collection. What about swords?

Anything is appreciated.

David
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Are they going to recognize my parachuting license? Hang gliding license? Driver license?

I know they aren't going to be happy about my gun collection. What about swords?

Anything is appreciated.

David

Are you PCSing, or just going TDY? Typically when you move overseas, the military has their own method of issuing you a driver's license that fall in line with the SOFA agreement.

The other stuff, I don't know, since I'm in Korea. We left our guns and rigs with family [:/] Lucky for you, there is jumping in the UK :)
Have fun!

If I were you, I'd find a safe place to keep your gun and sword collection... Maybe a climate-controlled storage space along with anything else you want kept safe...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Three to five years.

And I think my guns are going to my dad's. Not sure about the swords. I think they're kind of funny about individuals having rights or protecting themselves.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Three to five years.

And I think my guns are going to my dad's. Not sure about the swords. I think they're kind of funny about individuals having rights or protecting themselves.

Give them to your dad as well for safekeeping. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Three to five years.

Nice! I'm sure soon enough you'll have tons of info on jumping and everything else :)
Is your daughter excited?

Definitely no guns and swords, we drive on the opposite side of the road to you and there are some differences in language that could cause embarrassment if you're not aware of the meaning.

An american might say 'I fell on my fanny' meaning 'I fell on my backside' - in the UK the fanny is on the other side and is the sole domain of the female of the species.

If someone in the UK asks 'Would you like a faggot?', they're not asking if you're gay but offering you a large spiced meatball in gravy, usually accompanied by chips and a fried egg (Maybe that's just my mother-in-law).

In general, the beer south of Bristol is not that good with a couple of exceptions (Ringwood breweries ales are nice) but the food in the UK is very good.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I wouldn't count on doing any enjoyable skydiving in the UK, the place is run by a bunch of self important incompetants, to whom petty rules and regulations will stop you from anything approaching good skydiving and good vibes..

However, if you want to do some decent skydiving you can hop across the channel to Holland, France or Spain relatively easily. Some great DZ's to be found where you will be allowed to enjoy yourself....Plus in the south of France and Spain the weather is much better...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I wouldn't count on doing any enjoyable skydiving in the UK, the place is run by a bunch of self important incompetants, to whom petty rules and regulations will stop you from anything approaching good skydiving and good vibes..

However, if you want to do some decent skydiving you can hop across the channel to Holland, France or Spain relatively easily. Some great DZ's to be found where you will be allowed to enjoy yourself....Plus in the south of France and Spain the weather is much better...

SKYDIVING
Unfortunately, I agree with most of this... [:/] Love jumping at Empuria (Spain), and the good news is it can be very cheap to fly within Europe.

DRIVING
When I got the the UK I was allowed to drive with my foreign (Canadian) licence for 1 year. After which point I could (for a very small/reasonable fee) trade it in for a UK one. Not every country is elligible for this but I believe the US is. At the time, they systematically put a restriction on your UK licence if you were north-american that you couldn't drive stick UNLESS YOU COULD PROVE YOU TOOK YOUR DRIVING LICENCE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. As I had military driving licences that clearly identified manual transmission vehicles, I managed to get this restriction waived and got my normal/full UK licence. I believe they convert rather nicely with regards motorcycle licences as well, but can't confirm as I took my bike licence tests in the UK. Generally speaking, their DVLA website is excellent: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562

I will have a think about other useful info. Feel free to PM. The UK is a *brilliant* country - you will love it there :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Total bollocks.........written by a bloke who hasn't been to the UK since he was shipped to the antipodes on a prison ship!!

Your licences will be fine and accepted but you will have to take out BPA membership which is £116 for the year.

Whichever DZ you go to ask for the CCI and they will help you integrate at whatever level you are at.

Yes there are rules and regs but nothing draconian or far different from USPA BSR's............things have changed a lot since the 50 years that Obelixtim has been here ;)

If you need any specific advice then PM me.

Bryn
BPA A I
Journey not destination.....

Total bollocks.........written by a bloke who hasn't been to the UK since he was shipped to the antipodes on a prison ship!!

Your licences will be fine and accepted but you will have to take out BPA membership which is £116 for the year.

Whichever DZ you go to ask for the CCI and they will help you integrate at whatever level you are at.

Yes there are rules and regs but nothing draconian or far different from USPA BSR's............things have changed a lot since the 50 years that Obelixtim has been here ;)

If you need any specific advice then PM me.

Bryn
BPA A I

+1 ... I think he has a Gaul to say that about our green and pleasant land:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hit a raw nerve did I.....

Recently worked in London for 5 years, and my experience of attending a first jump course with a work mate, (anonymously of course) and the dropzone showed me a bunch of incompetants who should have had their ratings pulled.

My visits to several other DZ's gave me a good look at a bunch of people who completely ignored any stangers on the DZ.

Welcome and ambience on the DZ? Zero!.

Plus the feedback I've received from numerous low time jumpers in the UK who have told me their stories, and believe me, they are consistent in their theme of how difficult it is to get anything done.

Got a PM just this week from an upcoming British jumper who was about to quit the sport completely, but has moved to the US to further his jumping. His comment: "You were right"

The BPA has been like that in its attitudes since my first contact with British skydiving back in the 70's....

Tell me, why were the "safety concious" BPA still sanctioning student jumps on round parachutes and Fore and Aft gear well into the new century? This stuff was banned from student use in backward old NZ back in 1985.....

Says it all. Antique gear, antique attitudes.....

The exception to all my negative experience with British jumping was the British Royal Marines who I had dealings with at the CRW meet in China back in 1991. Nice blokes, the lot of them.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

At the time, they systematically put a restriction on your UK licence if you were north-american that you couldn't drive stick UNLESS YOU COULD PROVE YOU TOOK YOUR DRIVING LICENCE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

:o No kidding? Not only do they think we're all fat and out of shape, but we don't know how to shift gears. :S I've learned to drive a clutch when I was 6 years old. :P

Definitely no guns and swords, we drive on the opposite side of the road to you and there are some differences in language that could cause embarrassment if you're not aware of the meaning.

Yes, if a woman asks "Would you knock me up in the morning?" it means she wants a wake-up call.

Boy, was I ever embarrassed. :$

Anything is appreciated.

David

OK... I've been following this thread a bit. I'm amazed that no one has called this guy on his bullshit!! If you want to meet Nataly, just say so. This is, without a doubt, the worst pickup line/story ever! :P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Bwhaaaa .... she moved countries ...... just in case of such an eventuality!!

:D That's right Shroppy!! I figured fewer septic tanks would come to froggy-land ;)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

No raw nerve........my experience in general after having worked here and abroad, extensively in NZ, gives me a different point of view.

If you were treated that bad then name names and places rather than generalise. That way people can make a informed choice?

Bryn
Journey not destination.....