McDuck

John Carter of Mars

If you're at least HALF as savvy as your age, you must know that the Edgar Rice Burroughs tale of John Carter is about to be immortalized on the big screen. Last I heard, Dwayne Johnson was being considered for the role of John Carter. Being a HUGE fan of that series, I'm not sure I entirely agree with that choice. Anyone else have any input?
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

If you're at least HALF as savvy as your age, you must know that the Edgar Rice Burroughs tale of John Carter is about to be immortalized on the big screen. Last I heard, Dwayne Johnson was being considered for the role of John Carter. Being a HUGE fan of that series, I'm not sure I entirely agree with that choice. Anyone else have any input?

Dwayne Johnson... the wrestler dude?

Why do I see another abortion like "Starship Troopers" on the distant horizon?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Dwayne Johnson... the wrestler dude?

Why do I see another abortion like "Starship Troopers" on the distant horizon?

Yeah, I'm hoping they handle this one with kid gloves and avail themselves of one of the many resources available for the role of John Carter. Unless they can reduce the cheese factor that Dwayne tends to gather to most of the roles he portrays. :S
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

And here I am thinking you're talking about Tom Clancy's "John Carter" aka John Kelly... in the book "Without Remorse"

I don't think I've read the book you're refering to... :|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

And here I am thinking you're talking about Tom Clancy's "John Carter" aka John Kelly... in the book "Without Remorse"

John Clark
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

John Clark

yeah that guy... :$ its been a while since I've read the book... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

This was a story about a civil war vet whose spirit gets transported to Mars and finds himself, initially captured by the Tharks, six-legged Martian barbarians who are fairly brutal. I recommend the series, starting with "A Princess Of Mars".

This was a story about a civil war vet whose spirit gets transported to Mars and finds himself, initially captured by the Tharks, six-legged Martian barbarians who are fairly brutal. I recommend the series, starting with "A Princess Of Mars".

Six-legged? I thought it was 4 arms, two legs?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

this frightens me more than anything else..

as Mnealtx pointed out Starship Troopers was an absolute travesty..

John Carter was/is one of the greatest swordsmen in any fictional genre. Hollywood has done a piss poor job of recreating/directing ANY decent sword work (witness the decline in swordplay in SW, and silly chinese style acrobatics in place of real exchanges in recent Musketeers flicks) in the last few decades (most actors NEVER study fencing anymore where once EVERYONE did as part of their basic training. However the 'style' of 'Martian Sword work" as described by ERB (lower gravity allowed John Carter to do things he could never do on Earth) would lend itself nicely to 'wire-fu' stunts, IF they kept the traditional rapier/sabre play a Civil War era soldier would know..

picking a wrestler is ludicrous, particularly one who due to ego isnt likely to spend months learning 'simple' choreographed sword play.... [:/]

i'm not holding my breath on this one at all....

Oh, no wonder I didn't know about this, it's science fiction. Ick. :P

Oh no...I've lost her for good. [:/]

:P

As for the project, I know there are some fairly critical fans of the books who are DIRECTLY involved in this movie, so hopefully they'll be able to tell the tale in film format without sacrificing too much. I think word of Dwayne Johnson being lead was about a year ago, so I'm hoping clearer heads have prevailed since then.

And yes, the Tharks are bipedal creatures with four arms. I was cutting corners last night due to alcohol. :P

Oh no...I've lost her for good. [:/]

:P

As for the project, I know there are some fairly critical fans of the books who are DIRECTLY involved in this movie, so hopefully they'll be able to tell the tale in film format without sacrificing too much. I think word of Dwayne Johnson being lead was about a year ago, so I'm hoping clearer heads have prevailed since then.

And yes, the Tharks are bipedal creatures with four arms. I was cutting corners last night due to alcohol. :P

Well the trailer is looking good. I guess after 80 some odd yearsof yacking about it, the technology has finally caught up with the vision the author had and Disney has finally brought it to the screen.

http://disney.go.com/johncarter/#/splash-page

Oh and look... Dwayne is not the lead... Taylor Kitsch from Canukistan gets the nod.

Not Dwayne Johnson. Taylor Kitsch.

I've seen a some portions of it. Worked on a couple of promotional clips for it so far. 10 years ago the CGI would have blown you away, but the market is so saturated with CGI now I don't think that can carry the film. It's going to come down to the story and how well the acting is done. Unfortunately I haven't seen the entire thing so it's difficult to judge.

Opens March 9.

Here's hoping it does well!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ahh. but I bet you enjoyed the bible, Ick

I haven't yet ... so no spoilers aye, I don;t wanna know the ending:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Six-legged? I thought it was 4 arms, two legs?

Yes, 'twas.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239