Tuna-Salad

Served with court papers this morning..

At 7:15 this morning I was given a court subpoena for the state of Florida Vs Chris Cox. Not knowing anyone named Chris Cox I did a search for arrest records and found only one for a guy arrested in 2009 for a violation of probation.

I called the number on the paper after 8 to figure out where I fit into this and how my name came about. The lady told me it is a murder trial, then it hit's me... A guy was murdered in my apartment complex in 2009 and I had given the victim a ride to the store in the rain a few weeks prior which makes me a witness...? Chris cox is the person being charged....
Pretty strange stuff..
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Yes I was at the drop zone and got a call from a detective who put it bluntly that he did not care how much I had been drinking it would be to my benefit to find a way to come talk to him rather than them give me a ride..

In a way it will be interesting to take part in a trial, but sort of weird that all I had to do was give the guy a ride to be considered a witness

My wife had something similar happen to her...albeit not a murder case. A lady with her same name had an accident in Houston and they couldnt find the lady that had the accident so they started sending out mass notices to anyone with that name. We had to get the services of an attorney to get them to leave us the hell alone. Guess its a good thing my sister married a lawyer.

As a (current) juror on a murder trial, I of course can't talk about the trial, but I will say that one thing being on this trial has brought home to me (though I knew it, I'd never really thought about it) is that the term "witness" doesn't mean that you saw anything at all related to the crime - it just means that you are a person brought into the courtroom to provide a piece or pieces of evidence. In your case, it could be something as simple as establishing that the victim was in a certain place at a certain time (when you gave him a ride). This information may conflict with the story the defendant is giving.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes I was at the drop zone and got a call from a detective who put it bluntly that he did not care how much I had been drinking it would be to my benefit to find a way to come talk to him rather than them give me a ride..

Sounds pretty hard-assed to me. :| And they wonder why people aren't more cooperative with them. :S

As a (current) juror on a murder trial, I of course can't talk about the trial, but I will say that one thing being on this trial has brought home to me (though I knew it, I'd never really thought about it) is that the term "witness" doesn't mean that you saw anything at all related to the crime - it just means that you are a person brought into the courtroom to provide a piece or pieces of evidence. In your case, it could be something as simple as establishing that the victim was in a certain place at a certain time (when you gave him a ride). This information may conflict with the story the defendant is giving.

I'll add that this might be sword rattling between prosecution and defense. "Oh yeah?...take a look at this list of witnesses I'm going to put on the stand."

Rocket?...paging Lawrocket?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Sounds pretty hard-assed to me. :| And they wonder why people aren't more cooperative with them. :S

I agree what the hell they want you as a witness and treat you like a criminal.

I am not saying Tuna is not a criminal....just that he should not be treated like 1.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

At 7:15 this morning I was given a court subpoena for the state of Florida Vs Chris Cox. Not knowing anyone named Chris Cox I did a search for arrest records and found only one for a guy arrested in 2009 for a violation of probation.

I called the number on the paper after 8 to figure out where I fit into this and how my name came about. The lady told me it is a murder trial, then it hit's me... A guy was murdered in my apartment complex in 2009 and I had given the victim a ride to the store in the rain a few weeks prior which makes me a witness...? Chris cox is the person being charged....
Pretty strange stuff..

See in Minnesota the wood chipper is indeed far more appropriate

Guess its a good thing my sister married a lawyer.

You let your sister marry a lawyer .... don't you like her?

Think that's bad? I let my wife marry a lawyer.

did you get a pre-nup :P
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

In a way it will be interesting to take part in a trial, but sort of weird that all I had to do was give the guy a ride to be considered a witness

I wonder if the police man tracked you down to the DZ via your profile on DZ.com[:/]

TMI dude:( If they read your post about sitting in the mall parking lot with your back up lights on at xmas time. Your toast

R.I.P.

I need to clarify that the police were not the ones to call me today.. a process agent handed me the papers..

The police were involved when the body was found at the scene and they were looking for suspects. That is when I was told I needed to talk to them.

I only commented really because it's 3 years later and had long since forgotten..

I need to clarify that the police were not the ones to call me today.. a process agent handed me the papers..

The police were involved when the body was found at the scene and they were looking for suspects. That is when I was told I needed to talk to them.

I only commented really because it's 3 years later and had long since forgotten..

Sounds like the cops are trying to establish a time line for the victim leading up to the crime. On the surface, you don't have anything to break a sweat over.