fcajump

I've had a two-out and it...

I have seen a couple that flew as biplane (including mine), and have discussed with an individual that had one transition (on its own) to a down-plane*.

What's your experience?

JW

*we got a bit of a laugh at the coincidence... he was experiencing this two-out turned emergency at the same time many of the rest of us were attending a "what to do if you have a double deployment" seminar at the PIA symposium 10 miles away... Guess our class should have taken a field trip :D
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

i wonder if there are enough survivors to tell about the 3rd and 5th option...

There are... not sure if the ones I've known are on DiZzy and not sure of the experiences here... so the question... Remember, just because you are in a downplane, doesn't mean all is lost, just that you might want to take action prior to landing. Additionally, the recent student situation (as reported) does include survival of a downplane.

Thanks!
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Jump #58
Sabre 170, PDR 176.

Being new to jumping a Sabre, used all the packing tricks to make it open slower. Tended to have 800'-900' snivels. Offsite landing area was at different elevation from airport which used offset that included +90' due to hills to east of LZ. Pulled a bit low and between extra offset and long snivel, main was out but still spooked Cypres at bottom of snivel. Didn't feel reserve come off my back. Had main toggles unstowed and initiated a turn to the LZ before I saw that reserve was out/inflated. Started out as side by side and quickly went to biplane. With main driving forward with brakes released, reserve acted a bit like a drag chute. Canopies flew very stable. Could not get to LZ, so to make my only landing area available, had to steer main using very gentle inputs. Watched canopies to make sure they didn't transition to downplane.

Learned my lesson to be more altitude aware.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Additionally, the recent student situation (as reported) does include survival of a downplane.

Yep, I've witnessed one for an experienced jumper.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Mine was on my 37th Jump, on a Rental 260. The reserve was about the same size.

The main deployed fine on a 4000 ft Hop and Pop, but the RSL snagged and fired the Reserve as the main fully opened. I was just a big Wind Drift and luckily it landed me on the DZ account a good Spot! I unstowed the Toggles after the Reserve settled behind the Main and made only minor adjustments to keep myself faced into the wind, thus hoping to avoid a Downplane.

My instructions from the FJC came right back to me in a matter of seconds! It was the defining moment inwhich I actually felt like a True Skydiver after landing and couldn't wipe the Shit - eating Grin off my Face for a couple of Days!

Cheer's

Cypres fire at 1,700 ft per the ProTrac. I felt the reserve launch as I was reaching for the main risers. Looked up and saw the reserve slam into the tail of the main and immediately dive hard to the left. I immediately cut the main away knowing I didn't have anytime to screw with it.

Main was a Pilot 132 and reserve is a PD 143.

Blue skies,

Jim

I had two out after a total (floating handle) on the main, and I pulled silver without cutting away. After the reserve was open for 5-10 seconds the main opened behind me, flew up and smacked the back of the reserve, and then dove violently to the side heading for a downplane. I didn't wait to see what happened next. I pull the cutaway handle at light speed and rode the reserve down.

What's your experience?

Jump #138. FXC fired after I deployed my main plenty high. Initially a side-by-side, I thought, "I can land this." and then it transitioned into a downplane. My thoughts were along the lines of, "These canopies aren't going to get any further away from each other than they are now." I chopped.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Seen:

- student rigs with big F-111 canopies -
1* side by side, 2* biplane

- student rig with big F-111 canopies - reserve stayed in dangling bag for a long time, but when it came out with twists, the main and reserve spiraled around each other rapidly.