Squeak

Jeb Corliss Landed his wingsuit

in reply to "LOL my hero never jumped out of a plane but he does have wings and I miss him everyday. Jeb is just a man livin life to it's fullest as he believes. I find that admirable. "

I suppose I do too in a way . It just doesn't make me very thankful if at all.

:)

Hmmm how many people bounced at TM before Jeb got there? Don't think he burned anything.

What? Then you think very wrong. Before you come to assumptions on what the conditions are here, you should speak to some of the locals. To my knowledge there's been no other BASE injuries on TM. His jump (against locals advice) burned TM like nothing has been burned in S.A before. Geo passed year before last doing a wingsuit jump 40km from TM and it didn't cause anything near to the negative attention this jump of Jeb's did.

I don't care how much you like the guy or how skilful he is. He went about this all the wrong way and it's not just him that's suffering the consequences, it's the local jumpers who basically can't even look at any earth jumps at the moment, because that's how hot it is now. And as I mentioned, locals had been working on building relationships with the SANP for the past few years and this jump ended up dissolving all that progress.

BASE ethics is not that difficult to understand and respect.

Hmmm how many people bounced at TM before Jeb got there? Don't think he burned anything.

What? Then you think very wrong. Before you come to assumptions on what the conditions are here, you should speak to some of the locals. To my knowledge there's been no other BASE injuries on TM. His jump (against locals advice) burned TM like nothing has been burned in S.A before. Geo passed year before last doing a wingsuit jump 40km from TM and it didn't cause anything near to the negative attention this jump of Jeb's did.

I don't care how much you like the guy or how skilful he is. He went about this all the wrong way and it's not just him that's suffering the consequences, it's the local jumpers who basically can't even look at any earth jumps at the moment, because that's how hot it is now. And as I mentioned, locals had been working on building relationships with the SANP for the past few years and this jump ended up dissolving all that progress.

BASE ethics is not that difficult to understand and respect.

Just playing Devil advocate here Meso, but how negative would the publicity have been if he pulled it off clean, and presented the footage in a more positive light?

It sounds to me like the only negative spin is from him being injured, I doubt there would be as much commotion if he were not.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It would have been better than this, but it wouldn't have been great. Remember, the story here is that he applied for a permit - was denied, and then kept on jumping. The Government wouldn't have liked that regardless, the fact that he got injured was just something that gave them more reason to speak out against it.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has mad skills and his intentions were obviously not this. But my main problem is that he was apparently requested by locals to be careful and not to day blaze with cameras rolling, and he chose to ignore that friendly advice. And granted, he was jumping TM before most the locals, but that doesn't change that the actions are going to affect the others when it's all over and done. Though this is a controversial topic among locals even, some think Jeb earned the right to jump it without local advise due to jumping there first, while some feel he just uses the object and doesn't respect the local community by not taking their advice.

As mentioned though, there was no permit and I just fail to see how good of a light could have come from illegal dayblazing on the countries largest tourist attraction. If it had become mainstream media news like this, it would have likely still caused the Government to talk about fines and pressing charges.

If you're going to dayblaze a huge mainstream object that caters for hundreds of tourists a day and are looking to get media attention. Make sure you have a permit.

Goodness. I think you misread and /or misunderstood my whole post.

I like, respect, admire Jeb. I certainly acknowledge the HUGE accomplishments he has made to our sport, not only BASE, but wing suit, skydiving... Heck, the guy is a phenom. But ( yes, there is a but...slow down, relax, breathe deep...), his love for grandiose self- promotion is a big negative! Granted, I'm a different generation, ( I'm only 44, but have been jumping for 25 years.) And I grew up understanding the public (ie. the government) will never view skydiving, BASE, etc, as anything but a crazy death wish.

We should never put ourselves above our sport!

Come on, how do you in any way excuse his stupid Empire State Building stunt ? How did that do anything good ???

I don't fault him for jumping, and wish him a crazy fast recovery! But when you BASE, You owe it to others, to keep it quiet. Not immediately flood the Internet with videos of you bouncing!

All he had to do, was hide the cameras, call the paramedics, and say he fell rock climbing! Problem solved!! Yeah, been there. Done that.

But now a very popular, local spot for jumping has been closed down. Same as El Cap.
Same as Space Needle.
(see previous post)

Rock climbers scale El Cap and Half Dome everyday...for one reason, they don't cover themselves in cameras and post bounce videos on You Tube. And- climbers fall and die a heck of a lot more than BASE jumpers.

No, it ain't fair. But it is what it s.

This isn't a "hater" post, it's a "I love the sport more than I love plastering my face on YouTube" post.

Get well Jeb. Jump again soon, but leave all 37 video cameras at home.

Get well Jeb. Jump again soon, but leave all 37 video cameras at home.

not going to happen; he'd exit even less stable, he needs them to be at least relatively balanced!

;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

This story is no differnt than the idiot who managed to have a free jump off the Seattle Space Needle, and let his inexperienced girlfriend jump so she could be on TV. Of course, she flipped over, deployed on her back, and smashed in with a line over.

And, of course, you know what happened to Steve later. [:/] He wasn't one to take advice.

To my knowledge there's been no other BASE injuries on TM

I think you are a bit wrong on that one... TM has got many, many injuries, but jumped on a low profile so the media was not so interested.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

according to FB, he's up and running, can go home on the 24th..

Good to hear don't ever want to see any one get hurt.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!