Squeak

Jeb Corliss Landed his wingsuit

>That was built to be a troup carrier.

Yep. Six nuclear missiles and two million pounds worth of troops and gear. They were so hard to get off the water that they needed 250,000 pounds of thrust to get into the air; once they were in the air they'd shut down about half their engines. They turned _extremely_ slowly since they couldn't bank much. That meant they couldn't easily avoid obstacles; they'd rely on sighting obstacles far off and firing up the extra engines to get enough altitude to turn.

Sounds like it was a little nerve wracking to fly. (drive?)

(Sorry completely off topic; we now return you to your thread already in progress.)

Much like a lot of things invented or built during the Soviet era: "Should we make it this big? NYET! We should make it bigger!"
:D

Plane flies you?

/soviet
//russia

This isn't directed towards you particularly you were just last on the lest to reply.

I think Jeb, like all of us, go through a progression, I'm not sure if he is pushing the envelope just to grandstand or he is just like every swooper out there. Pushing a new level and then getting in a new comfort zone and then pushing it farther. Who knows. Hes just evolving in a way that seems normal to him.

Here is a video of Jeb talking about Westons death, at the end of the vid he talks like 5 feet is ridiculous but apparently that's the norm for him now. That was LESS than 10 years ago. Peoples "norms" change...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xceW5DAMRfg

After many adult years of thinking I might want to skydive, watching some of Jeb's work over the past year is one of the things that triggered me to break the piggy bank and get started (not that I will ever grind any crack). I have watched many of his interviews. In talking about things like the waterfall wingsuit flight, he said something like equipment, methods, and learned skills make some of the things he is doing now more safe and predictable than just a few years ago. So, at that time he was acknowledging that the "norms" have indeed changed. I had also noticed that statement about the bridge and how much closer he was on Grinding The Crack than what he had said about how close one should aim to get.

Jeb says he likes to be frightened. Grandstanding maybe, but maybe is just doing what he enjoys the most, scaring the crap out of himself.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

It wasn't that I THOUGHT you used an incorrect definition, you DID use an incorrect definition. Your analysis was flawed, as has been pointed out by several people now.

You were wrong, but somehow you want it to be my fault.

No, you have nothing to do with what I wrote and I never suggestred as such. You have everythying to do with what you wrote, which was completely useless. Coming from a college physics professor, pilot, and wingsuiter, I expected more than a simple 'You're wrong', which adds nothing to conversation.

I might have been wrong about part of my post, but you were a dick in your entire post.

interviews. In talking about things like the waterfall wingsuit flight, he said something like equipment, methods, and learned skills make some of the things he is doing now more safe and predictable than just a few years ago. So, at that time he was acknowledging that the "norms" have indeed changed.

He just hit the ground in his wingsuit. These remarks should be viewed in that context.

I had also noticed that statement about the bridge and how much closer he was on Grinding The Crack than what he had said about how close one should aim to get.

He was right the first time.

Heck, in my few years of following BASE, (5 years seriously following it) the mentality has done a 180. From "lets see how far away from the ledge we can get" to "i wanna see how close i can get".

The "norm" has changed, and not for the safer.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Jeb says he likes to be frightened. Grandstanding maybe, but maybe is just doing what he enjoys the most, scaring the crap out of himself. ***

his comfort zone is entirely different than anything I can even imagine

I just had my son watch the grinding the crack video and his response *(after watching it 3 times) was "I am gonna do that, you want to go with me?" - he's 9yrs old and has seen skydiving since he was 3 months old.... *(booorrriingg)

goddamn it Jeb, yer corrupting my kid!!!
hope the healing goes well m8

Roy

Ps: in case ya didnt notice...that was too fucking close!!!:P

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

All in all, too tight a stunt for my liking.

Too tight a stunt for like 99.9% of all skydivers in the world.

That said, I don't like what he's doing, as we get enough bad publicity as it is.

You can love, hate or have no opinion at all towards Jeb and his publicity jumps. I think what he does is a tremendous boost to skydiving.
Wingsuiting and now BASE proximity wingsuiting are the skysurfing of today. Remember the X-game skysurfing? Evry Whuffo in the world asked jumpers if they jumped a skyboard for years in the 90's.
What do all Whuffos ask us now? "Ever jump one of them there squirrel suits"?
Most Whuffos have seen Jeb on TV interviews. I think I can count on one hand the number of jumpers that have been interviewed on a show like "Conan" that was for doing cool shit, not almost going in.
Jeb is a publicity hound. sure. But he is great at it. So was Patrick DG, before he went in.
Remember "Point Break"? Skydivers robbing banks. Damn that pumped up the skydive biz. Was it a retarded script towards jumpers? Yup. So What?
I would rather have the likes of Jeb and Jet Man Yves Rossy getting good publicity in the mainstream media instead of some dipshit that nearly dies with a two out wrap make the "Today" show.
Now does Jeb owe the SA BASE community a huge apology? Did he burn a great site? Maybe. That's between him and the BASE guys and gals there.
Jeb inspires Whuffos to the DZ to make a jump. That's a good thing.
I'm glad he didn't go in.
I hope he slows down a bit.

it's what got me into skydiving a decade or two later! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

This isn't directed towards you particularly you were just last on the lest to reply.

I think Jeb, like all of us, go through a progression, I'm not sure if he is pushing the envelope just to grandstand or he is just like every swooper out there. Pushing a new level and then getting in a new comfort zone and then pushing it farther. Who knows. Hes just evolving in a way that seems normal to him.

Here is a video of Jeb talking about Westons death, at the end of the vid he talks like 5 feet is ridiculous but apparently that's the norm for him now. That was LESS than 10 years ago. Peoples "norms" change...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xceW5DAMRfg

On a side note it is a sad commentary that or sport has become so "see look I told you he was going to go in". We do the same thing with swoopers now, cut the guy some slack, he is doing what he wants, "blazing a trail" if you will. Like Rich said, I get from non skydivers, parents, friends "have you ever flown a squirrel suit? that looks cool." "I wouldn't jump from a plane but that looks like something I would like to do." Thats when I tell them they should try a tandem first, if they stick with it they realize for themselves what actually goes into being good enough to do what someone like Jeb does.

I dont know the guy, Ive heard people talk but Ive never met him. Our sport used to be a "brotherhood", I guess that has changed as well.

The dude got hurt and I hope he gets better.

a good friend of mine didnt only hit one tree last year, he hit two trees. he's one of the best, if not the THE best WS-BASEjumper. even jeb acknowledged that to him. but he doesnt do it for publicity nor the fame..

you WILL get hurt or die if you do it for the media. you will want to prove yourself that you deserve the attention. see dwaine, patrick, ueli.. all great jumpers doing stupid stuff - for the media.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Well I believe "doing it for the media" is just another form of pushing your own limits. Demos are a good example of that, you could make that landing 100 times, but in front of 2000 people it becomes that much more difficult. I think the same rules apply here, if the norm for you is doing it for the media then that is your comfort zone and you will get hurt pushing THAT envelope.

Some would say "you WILL get hurt or die if you do it..." not for the media but base jumping at all, whether or not it is for the media, or for you, doing a solo at a spot that only you know about. Doing it for the media may be crossing the line to your friend but 5 years from now your friend may have moved forward in his progression, and doing it for the media maybe the norm for him.

Just a thought...

I think we all justify our own limits, I do what I do in this sport and in my mind I justify what i do by staying in my comfort zone. These decisions allow me to regulate the amount of risk (real or perceived) I'm willing to accept and this rationalization keeps me skydiving. Reality is I could die every time I exit, but another reality is (I work in a level 1 trauma center in a large city) people end up in the ICU or morgue from walking down the street ALL the time, everyday, NO EXCEPTIONS.

So Im in my comfort zone and it works for me, compared to most people I know, Im crazy. According to a lot of skydivers Jeb/your friend is/are crazy.

And so the circle of life continues...

:)

in reply to "Heck, in my few years of following BASE, (5 years seriously following it) the mentality has done a 180. From "lets see how far away from the ledge we can get" to "i wanna see how close i can get".

The "norm" has changed, and not for the safer. "

Flying stupidly close to things is NOT a new invention.
More than 5 years ago people were flying VERY close to rocks in wingsuits and tracking pants.
Thing is most of them are dead and gone , but the rocks ??? they're still there.

in reply to "Heck, in my few years of following BASE, (5 years seriously following it) the mentality has done a 180. From "lets see how far away from the ledge we can get" to "i wanna see how close i can get".

The "norm" has changed, and not for the safer. "

Flying stupidly close to things is NOT a new invention.
More than 5 years ago people were flying VERY close to rocks in wingsuits and tracking pants.
Thing is most of them are dead and gone , but the rocks ??? they're still there.

oh im sure, it just seems, that more people are going "hmm, i think i could try that one day" vs "fuck that, im content to just jump". I could be totally wrong (and probably am, haha) but thats just the impression ive gotten over the years.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

a good friend of mine didnt only hit one tree last year, he hit two trees. he's one of the best, if not the THE best WS-BASEjumper.

There is a strange definition of "best" rattling around that sport.

even jeb acknowledged that to him.

From one expert on hitting shit to another.

Calvin, I agree in general, except that my suggestion is that ground effect may have played a role in the "Grinding the Crack" video, not this incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k&t=1m37s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veg63B8ofnQ:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Wingsuit pilots are basically maniacs who put on a Batman suit and use it to fly down the face of mountains.

And to think all that time I saw people doing it out of airplanes and the 3 times I've done it, we were always doing it wrong...:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Sad and pretty pathetic.

The massive ego and self promotion that the pseudo-base jumper exhibits. Its not about You Tube, or getting your face on TV, or even on Good Morning America. Its about the love of the jump, not trying to jump of the Empire State Building on TV.

This story is no differnt than the idiot who managed to have a free jump off the Seattle Space Needle, and let his inexperienced girlfriend jump so she could be on TV. Of course, she flipped over, deployed on her back, and smashed in with a line over. No more "legal" base in Washington.

Then the famous Tom Sanders fiasco, letting his inexperienced wife jump of El Cap. She couldnt find her handles and bounced. Thanks! And BASE remains illegal in the US for another 20 years!

Jeb may be a great skydiver, and a great wingsuit, and a great BASE.... etc etc etc.

But, he pissed off the locals, and ended some great free, legal base jumping for them.

BASE, like surfing, or marathon running, or so many other passions, is about the sport, the love, the life.. not grandious "Look at ME! " . If you love the sport, do it, but come on, NINE CAMERAS for one jump! Seriously ??? And you need to strap five more to your body ?? At what point is this not about the sport but about self promoting and an apparent endless ego ?

There is an antenna in the south, almost 2000 feet, with an elevator. Perfect for jumping. Rule one, be invited, rule two, NO VIDEOS, NO PICTURES, PERIOD! You come, you jump, you smile. If Jeb, or anyone else (remember he was a foreigner when he clipped the rock and ruined there base spot) showed up, and ruined my local spot, I would be beyond pissed.

Jeb, I hope you heal up. But your injury is more than YOU, its our whole sport and a whole lot of others that are now grounded.

Lastly, its a free world. Jump, Base, Climb Mountains, do drugs, whatever... but your rights to freedom end when they begin to put a negative impact on others.

Think people. Our lives are already being ruled by a govenment hell bent on limiting everything we do. Lets not offer them 15 video angles of why they should continue to ground us.

Calvin, I agree in general, except that my suggestion is that ground effect may have played a role in the "Grinding the Crack" video, not this incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k&t=1m37s

Hilarious "Cat Vid", ryoder.... (see 2nd URL below)......:)...Get well soon.....Live to jump another day....:)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVCMINYPDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veg63B8ofnQ:ph34r:

Life is short ... jump often.

Hmmm how many people bounced at TM before Jeb got there? Don't think he burned anything. Just because he can do what scares the shit out of others isn't a reason to hate on the man. I bet nearly everyone of the haters would trade lives with Jeb in a heart beat. Thing is though you have to have true belief and conviction to live like Jeb, talent doesn't hurt either.

You guys busting his balls should shut up and go jump and be grateful for the bar he has set.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

LOL my hero never jumped out of a plane but he does have wings and I miss him everyday. Jeb is just a man livin life to it's fullest as he believes. I find that admirable.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.