Squeak

Jeb Corliss Landed his wingsuit

A lot of the posts reek of jealousy. Many of us could only dream of having the skills (and the balls) to do the insane things this guy does. The fact is, he hit the ground – in freefall (no canopy) mind you – and got away with just two broken ankles; Jeb – 1, Death – 0.

On the other hand, anyone else finds it curious that the video of the accident has suddenly become “private”/unavailable?

does anyone know what he broke? the video i saw doesnt remotely tell. obviously something on the lower half, but theres a slight difference in breaking your ankles and shattering everything from your pelvis down, just wondering how lucky he is. . .
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

On the other hand, anyone else finds it curious that the video of the accident has suddenly become “private”/unavailable?

Probably taken down per his request so they don't get a bunch of negative attention.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This isn't directed towards you particularly you were just last on the lest to reply.

I think Jeb, like all of us, go through a progression, I'm not sure if he is pushing the envelope just to grandstand or he is just like every swooper out there. Pushing a new level and then getting in a new comfort zone and then pushing it farther. Who knows. Hes just evolving in a way that seems normal to him.

Here is a video of Jeb talking about Westons death, at the end of the vid he talks like 5 feet is ridiculous but apparently that's the norm for him now. That was LESS than 10 years ago. Peoples "norms" change...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xceW5DAMRfg

On a side note it is a sad commentary that or sport has become so "see look I told you he was going to go in". We do the same thing with swoopers now, cut the guy some slack, he is doing what he wants, "blazing a trail" if you will. Like Rich said, I get from non skydivers, parents, friends "have you ever flown a squirrel suit? that looks cool." "I wouldn't jump from a plane but that looks like something I would like to do." Thats when I tell them they should try a tandem first, if they stick with it they realize for themselves what actually goes into being good enough to do what someone like Jeb does.

I dont know the guy, Ive heard people talk but Ive never met him. Our sport used to be a "brotherhood", I guess that has changed as well.

The dude got hurt and I hope he gets better.

If Meso's account of the reaction in by the South African government is correct (and seriously, when would that not be the case?), I'd assume it has something to do with the litigation aspects.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

does anyone know what he broke? the video i saw doesnt remotely tell. obviously something on the lower half, but theres a slight difference in breaking your ankles and shattering everything from your pelvis down, just wondering how lucky he is. . .

See relevant thread in Incidents forum on Basejumper.com, post #64. I won't quote it here, but it sounds like pretty good news.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

A lot of the posts reek of jealousy. Many of us could only dream of having the skills (and the balls) to do the insane things this guy does. The fact is, he hit the ground – in freefall (no canopy) mind you – and got away with just two broken ankles; Jeb – 1, Death – 0.

My problem is that he day blazed a site, got hurt and has basically ruined the efforts of the locals to get that site (and many others) legal for BASE.

That is selfish and arrogant.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

See relevant thread in Incidents forum on Basejumper.com, post #64. I won't quote it here, but it sounds like pretty good news.

Ah thanks, i was lurkig that thread, but must have missed the info. :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Was speaking to a jumper friend of mine this morning and apparently the effects of this incident are being felt all the way up country. Relations have apparently been damaged with the SANP all over the country from this, something that has been slowly developing nicely for years.

It's currently almost a 'no jump' situation right now it seems. Lots of subsequent burning happening.

I was impressed with Jeb's statements from the hospital bed that he loves Cape Town and the jumpers and wants to do all he can to ensure that the SANP don't end up punishing the locals for what happened, but frankly, from this point I think there is little he can do.

I question the capabilty of a wingsuit to produce 'lift',

Wingsuits certainly produce lift.

The consistancy of the ground maintains the consistancy of the ground effect. When you're talking about a brief pass over a specific point of a rocky, un-even slope, I'm just not sure the principal applies. .

w.r.t. ground effect watch Grinding the Crack on the final lowest camera angle looking up the slope and reevaluate your opinion. Disagree by all means but you should at least be considering the same scenario.

Passion is passion, and it saddens me to think all most see is someone who was injured exploring what drives them to live.
Heal fast, Jeb.

in reply to "Passion is passion, and it saddens me to think all most see is someone who was injured exploring what drives them to live.
Heal fast, Jeb. "

Yep WOW, praps next time wear some body armour man.
:)

Remember "Point Break"? Skydivers robbing banks.
I would rather have the likes of Jeb and Jet Man Yves Rossy getting good publicity in the mainstream media instead of some dipshit that nearly dies with a two out wrap make the "Today" show.

Point Break is about SURFERS who occasionnally jumped, but yes it did bring a lot of business to the DZ.

We would all prefer to have the "positive" publicity... But the general public wants to be scared, they want death defying jumps, they want blood and guts. The people want roman circus games.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Was speaking to a jumper friend of mine this morning and apparently the effects of this incident are being felt all the way up country. Relations have apparently been damaged with the SANP all over the country from this, something that has been slowly developing nicely for years.

It's currently almost a 'no jump' situation right now it seems. Lots of subsequent burning happening.

I was impressed with Jeb's statements from the hospital bed that he loves Cape Town and the jumpers and wants to do all he can to ensure that the SANP don't end up punishing the locals for what happened, but frankly, from this point I think there is little he can do.

You can't undo the deed and you can never bring relations back to where they were after someone feels they have been wronged in the government realm. It typically takes a change in the cast of characters (from the government and from the other party) to positively effect change after something like this.

I've seen this with DZ's and local governments, with businesses and local governments...just about everything out there has gone through a similar process.

I can almost guarantee that this incident will be brought up in reference to BASE jumping's legality in the US in the future with government officials (in reference to the push to get the US to allow it again in national parks).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

But the general public wants to be scared, they want death defying jumps, they want blood and guts.

And not just the general public. I think the (possibly uncomfortable) truth is that although at a personal level we don't like to see people get hurt in skydiving or BASE, many/ most jumpers enjoy their sport's notoriety to some degree.

Wingsuits certainly produce lift

Indeed, but not enough to qualify as a positive value in terms of the weight of the jumper. A wingsuit can lift 'some' of the weight of a jumper, but it cannot lift 'all' of the weight and provide for a zero descent rate.

Again, as I'm not a fan of apples to apples comparisons between wingsuits and planes, I'm not sure at point ground effect becomes a realistic factor in terms of effecting the lift produced. I can't say for sure wingsuits produce enough lift to allow for ground effect to become a factor.

w.r.t. ground effect watch Grinding the Crack on the final lowest camera angle looking up the slope and reevaluate your opinion.

You can't look at one instance in one jump and make the claim that it's ground effect that ground effect is a useable and reliable occurance with wingsuits.

If you can devsie some method of testing, and produce consistant, repeatable results, in that case maybe you can claim 'ground effect', and consider it in future flights, but without that you still have a single occurance which could easliy be chalked up to jumper action, as-in, an adjustment to body position, and not a shift in the aerodynamic properties of the suit.

For example, if a new pilot was to attempt a landing, and the AC floated halfway down the runway before he could get the wheels in the ground, most would point to ground effect as the cause of the float. If that pilot taxied and reported that he 'forgot' to deploy the flaps on apporach, and dumped them just before the round-out, that could easily explain the float. The change in configuration played a factor, and there's nothing to say the same isn't true for the example you mentioned.

My point is that you can't say one way or the other if ground effect is indeed present in wingsuits. With this in mind, it's bad form to point to specific incidents and chalk them up to ground effect when there's been no proof that the concept even applies to wingsuits. I have made some valid points to the contrary, and without any testing or 'proof' of the concept, it remains an 'unknown'.

Indeed, but not enough to qualify as a positive value in terms of the weight of the jumper. A wingsuit can lift 'some' of the weight of a jumper, but it cannot lift 'all' of the weight and provide for a zero descent rate.

You are using an incorrect definition of lift.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What else would you expect him to say?

Just one that fits his theory.:D

Great. You pointed out that I used an incorrect definition of one term within the context of the point I was trying to make. How about contributing something to the thread and either provide a correction to my definition, or better yet, realize that the point of my post wasn't to define 'lift', it was to comment on the validity of claiming that wingsuits benefit from ground effect, and that it played a critical role in a previous wingsuit flight, and contribute to that discussion.

For an over qualifed college professor, you sure post like a high-school drop-out sometimes.

Great. You pointed out that I used an incorrect definition of one term within the context of the point I was trying to make. How about contributing something to the thread and either provide a correction to my definition, or better yet, realize that the point of my post wasn't to define 'lift', it was to comment on the validity of claiming that wingsuits benefit from ground effect, and that it played a critical role in a previous wingsuit flight, and contribute to that discussion.

For an over qualifed college professor, you sure post like a high-school drop-out sometimes.

Because a suit and its pilot can travel at a trajectory not equal to and not decaying toward the gravity vector, there must be a force to maintain that trajectory. This is accomplished almost entirely by the net effect of fluid(air) being turned or deflected from it's original state, thus creating a dynamic force that In physics we call lift.

A wingsuit is most definitely flying.

As for ground effect, I too doubt that it played a significant role in this incident. I also doubt that it has much observable effect on any "proximity" flight done by a wingsuit. For one, the general rule of aviation ground effect would show that it is all but inapplicable to most wingsuit flight currently being shared via publicly viewable video.

Of course, the GA common belief of aerodynamics in not always similar to the true physics behind the events.