Squeak

pop up AD on Dizzy

there's a popup ad that is only appearing on this site, anyone else getting it?
"PLOT YOUR ESCAPE"
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The No-script extension for firefox seems to be blocking it for me, because it's a new. Which is good because the otherwise unobtrusive ads have let me give this site an ad-block exemption. I would hate to have to block the rest of this sites supporters based on this one bad ad.

"PLOT YOUR ESCAPE"

Nope.

I eventually got fed up with all the ads which were blinking or driving across my screen and got the Adblock Plus plugin for Firefox so I wouldn't need to deal with it.

Places with generally inoffensive ads have them disabled too.

Not with Ad Block installed

So if I end up losing my job due to lack of funds, I can blame it on you!!

*hides his ABP install*

I started blocking EVERY ad on DZ.com after the switch from what Sangiro had for his original ad policy. It used to be just a couple banner ads with a strict policy to the point of no animation. Now the ads are everywhere and it seems that half of them are horribly annoying script based ads.

If the ads went back to a much less intrusive structure like they were in the past, then the ads would be allowed back on my screen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My escape is beginning in just over 14 hours. I wonder where I'm escaping to? I can hardly wait! B|

mine begins in 16 mins, sounds exciting dont it:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think everyone wishes that it could be just basic ads, but things changed a lot with the years too. The costs involved with running it are quite high due to the amount of support. I always figured sites claiming that it costs a lot to run were just bullshitting to get some more donations and stuff, but after working support and having to work at getting developers to fix scripts that are breaking and stuff, it's actually a lot more work than I had envisioned.

Ads in general changed with time too, I mean when Sangiro originally started the site and long after even, an animated ad consisted of giant lumo text flashing on and off with lightning bolts. Animated ads for the most part became a bit more bearable, though still somewhat annoying, they weren't going to give you a seizure.

Ideally we would be running a site where there were only ads directly related to skydiving and for these ads to be un-intrusive and very easy on the eyes. But there aren't too many skydiving companies advertising this way or think serving their ads with google is the better option for them.

In a niche sport where site subscription is optional, ads become necessary to keep it going.

We still have a fairly strict ad policy and do our best to remove ads with sound, pop ups or anything that affects the usability. Of course this ends up costing us, but we do still very much aim at providing ads that aren't completely annoying and least intrusive as possible, and when they do 'pop up' we seek to remove them. I am also in the same office as Sangiro and he does weigh in on what to do with some of the ads and whether it's acceptable or not.

"PLOT YOUR ESCAPE"

I get that stupid fucking shit too... :|

Hmmm.... where do I get the Ad block shit?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've got the Firefox Add-ons Manager page up and am looking at the list of ad blocking add ons... which one would you people recommend?

Anybody?

ETA: How about this one - Adblock Plus 2.0.3?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've got the Firefox Add-ons Manager page up and am looking at the list of ad blocking add ons... which one would you people recommend?

Anybody?

ETA: How about this one - Adblock Plus 2.0.3?

Awesome.... that didn't take long. NO ads ANYWHERE!

B|B|B|B|

We still have a fairly strict ad policy and do our best to remove ads with sound, pop ups or anything that affects the usability.

I think we all would admit this to be true: compared with other sites, an obtrusive ad on Dizzy gets the attention of all of us, while on other sites they're so frequent that they've become old news.

There are a couple other sites that allow ads so awful and difficult to work around that the very usability of the site is limited (cough...cough... Yahoo, I'm looking at you...)

Elvisio "anymore, I just skip the Yahoo homepage..." Rodriguez

No shit... I was getting tired of my pages taking too long to load because of these fucking ads... but I was too lazy to find a fix, until today with that fucking pop up ad that Squeak was referring to.

My laptop hard-drive just died, so I installed a new one, and don't have ad-block on yet. I assumed these ads had been there a while, and I just never saw them until I lost my hard-drive (which had ad-block). Good information that they just started appearing.

Anyway, I have to say those ads are ANNOYING AS FUCK! Not good fuck, like you get from the new chick. Bad fuck, like you get in prison.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Anyway, I have to say those ads are ANNOYING AS FUCK! Not good fuck, like you get from the new chick. Bad fuck, like you get in prison.

Stop being so picky!

With that said...

I think the ads have been removed, I got a response from the ad team who said the request for their removal had been handed to the ad supplier. And I haven't seen any since being online today. If they aren't gone yet, they should be soon.