nakedfool

San Diego Hotels and Dining

Hi All,
I'm taking my girlfriend to San Diego in a few weeks and am looking for a cool/inexpensive place to stay.

nothing too commercialized
close to the beach
nothing too expensive (trying to stay under $150/night
close to good food
relaxing

I don't know ANYTHING about San Diego so suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch folks!

NF

I lived in Imperial beach for 4 years. Its a pretty cool little surf town. The IB forum is the most south west restaurant in the country and a pretty cool local bar.

Its about a 15 to 20 min drive to Coronado which is a nice place to spend a day. If you get bored in Coronado you can take the ferry to San Diego and walk around.

Just watch out for drunk sailors.

If you want to keep costs down I'd look at something north of Solana Beach - something like Encinitas, Carlsbad or Oceanside. There are still some great places to eat and drink along that coast (Pizza Port, Kai's, Fidel's etc) but the hotels are a little cheaper. If you want to get to downtown the Coaster commuter rail runs along the coast there, and if you want to get inland the Sprinter runs east to Escondido.

And in general the beaches are better, too. Cleaner and less crowded.

If you want to be in San diego and not have to travel far, look for hotels or motels in Point Loma or Mission Valley area. There's no reason to go south or west of the City, I.E. chula vista, Imperial Beach, National City, El Cajon. ect. ect. These are all the bad parts of San Diego and have no attractions to speak of, unless you like to get robbed or need your Meth. Point loma and Mission valley are both within six miles from Downtown San diego, The Beaches such as Mission Beach Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach, and Balboa Park.

Have fun!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln