popsjumper

Cricket - I get it.

At a glance SA and Aus only potentially meet up in the T20 World Cup this year........where we will, in all likelihood, choke again :o:o[:/]

I haven't learned much, as yet, about the major competitors. I see where Australia and S. Africa are major players in the cricket world....along with maybe Pakistan and India, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

At a glance SA and Aus only potentially meet up in the T20 World Cup this year........where we will, in all likelihood, choke again :o:o[:/]

I haven't learned much, as yet, about the major competitors. I see where Australia and S. Africa are major players in the cricket world....along with maybe Pakistan and India, right?

Below is a list of countries with 'test status', in current ranking order (taken from Cricinfo):-

ICC Test Championship

Team Matches Points Rating
England 37 4634 125
South Africa 28 3277 117
India 46 5111 111
Australia 42 4655 111
Pakistan 31 3081 99
Sri Lanka 35 3426 98
West Indies 30 2654 88
New Zealand 24 1998 83
Bangladesh 18 76 4

Zimbabwe is currently unranked.

There are several other countries with cricket teams, such as the Netherlands, Kenya, Afghanistan, but they have not achieved test status and only play in One Day Internationals.

Thanks.

Now I have to learn what it means and what it takes to "reach test status".

I understand how test matches work...I didn't know about having to meet any requirements for it.

Now I have to learn what it means and what it takes to "reach test status".

Basically, demonstrate consistently over a length of time that your national team isn't completely rubbish.

The ICC doesn't want Test Cricket to be diluted by having too many one sided matches between the strong nations and weaker ones (like Ireland, Kenya, Zimbabwe etc that are basically fielding teams of domestic league semi-professionals). Having the top teams playing each other more regularly instead is much better for good matches and strong TV viewing figures.

The flip side is, without playing against and learning from the stronger Test status nations, how do the smaller teams get better? The amounts of money involved make it unlikely that the status-quo will be altered any time soon though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I just read an article about Test Cricket by
Ed Smith
Former England, Kent and Middlesex batsman; writer with the Times
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/551721.html

"The problem's not Test cricket, it's bad Test cricket"

Evidently, Test Cricket (TR) is not fairing well amongst fans because of the quality of play or competition.

"The real issue is that the product has been watered down by poor scheduling, made bland by boring wickets and isolated by punitive ticket prices. "

I don't know enough about it and being so recently exposed to it, I have no clue about the truth of what he says.

All I know is that the matches I have seen have all been great fun learning and seeing bowlers and batsmen doing their thing...neither of which is easy.

"The real issue is that the product has been watered down by poor scheduling, made bland by boring wickets and isolated by punitive ticket prices. "

and massive amounts of match fixing. :D:D

Test matches tend to be more strategic. One dayers are a good excuse to drink beer! B|

We're watching streaming line score for NZ vs Zimb.

Pretty cool that a newbie gets a 4 on his first international ball.

That's the 20-20 matches, yeah? Limited overs cricket is much more entertaining.:)NZ should win;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Limited overs cricket is much more entertaining..

Oh, I don't know. Watching England getting demolished by Pakistan was pretty entertaining test match cricket.B|

Although it does look like England is off to a good start in the 3rd test.

NZ vs SA T20.

So what happened last night to NZ?

NZ opens up on a roll with a double-digit run rate chasing 165 in the first 4-5 overs and then crumbles in the last 5-6 overs to lose.

South Africa 165 for 7
New Zealand 162 for 7

...and England vs Pakistan ODI!
England wins with 4 balls left!
Timothy Thomas Bresnan breaks the tie with a 4.
Good game!

England 241 for 6
Pakistan 237

Wasn't it beautiful!

I loved each and every second of it, okay I lie... I was pissed off at over 10 of the NZ innings and then with the last over to go I was tapping my leg uncomfortably.

And that no ball on 19.6! So lucky to escape from that!

Now on to the ODI games from Saturday where I will have to wake up at 2:45am, worth the pain though.

The bowlers front foot was over the line when he released the ball, making it an illegal delivery which he has to bowl again (as well as a 1 run penalty being given).

And in T20 and ODI when you do a front-foot no ball, the other team can have a 'free hit' meaning that if you bowl them, get LBW, catch them etc they are not out.

They can only go out on a free-hit by being run out, so it gives the batsman the ability to swing as hard as they can without fear of being caught. Luckily the 'free hit' ended up not being hit at all!

The bowlers front foot was over the line when he released the ball, making it an illegal delivery which he has to bowl again (as well as a 1 run penalty being given).

Aw hell. i saw that and knew what was going on. My memory this morning isn't clicking yet.
[:/]

And in T20 and ODI when you do a front-foot no ball, the other team can have a 'free hit' meaning that if you bowl them, get LBW, catch them etc they are not out.

Not out...something new. Thanks!

Another question if you will....
Extras...can the umpire award a number of extras at his discretion? I saw where 5 extras were awarded one time and I couldn't figure out why 5. Why not just 1? I saw a Leg Bye awarded 4 because the ball went over the boundary but I don't understand where 5 came from on a later call.

Not out...something new. Thanks!

Yeah the free hit was introduced to cricket only a year or two ago, it's a very new concept.

Extras...can the umpire award a number of extras at his discretion? I saw where 5 extras were awarded one time and I couldn't figure out why 5. Why not just 1? I saw a Leg Bye awarded 4 because the ball went over the boundary but I don't understand where 5 came from on a later call.

Nah the umpire has to award extras as dictated by the rules.

1 extra is given if no run is taken.

You can get 5 extras from a ball by having an overthrow for 4 occur on a no ball. You could also have it occur off a wide. That is the most common way to get 5 runs in a single ball - if the bowler bowls a no ball, the batsman hits it and the fielder tries running him out only to have the ball not be backed up by team mates and have it go for 4. Then essentially it's 4 overthrows, but afaik in that case it's counted as an extra.

Alternatively 5 penalty runs are awarded if the wicket keeper has his helmet off and it's behind him and the ball touches the helmet during play.

I think I watched a replay of the South Africa/New Zealand game.

England vs Pakistan

Like NZ, England chased and started out with a bang. Pietersen was killin' 'em - 33 from 21 balls!
Paired with Kieswetter, they steam rolled out of the gate.

When Pietersen went down and Kieswetter took himself out (bowled out) shortly after, it was all downhill from there for England.

Here's the telling story:
Last 5 overs....
Pakistan 45 for 1
England 26 for 3

Final...
Pakistan 144 for 6
England 136 for 6

OK, you Aussies...WTF.
I'm watching Australia vs Sri Lanka

Aussies taking balls...I can't call it batting at this point.

44 for 2 after 10 overs?
Who stole your team and who are these imposters?

OK, you Aussies...WTF.
I'm watching Australia vs Sri Lanka

Aussies taking balls...I can't call it batting at this point.

44 for 2 after 10 overs?
Who stole your team and who are these imposters?

Ricky Ponting didn't get a gernsey to play, and i think that has deflated a few of them.
Whilst he is not at his peak, his presence does in fact instill confidence in other players
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

...When Pietersen went down and Kieswetter took himself out ...

Some useless trivia for you, Andy: Both Pietersen and Kieswetter, as well Trott, Prior and Strauss were all born in South Africa. Pietersen in particluar is the one 'English' player we really love to hate.

There are few things better than watching an Aussie sporting side twist in the wind ;)

Get your giggles when you can,
They are, after all, few and few between;)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

...When Pietersen went down and Kieswetter took himself out ...

Some useless trivia for you, Andy: Both Pietersen and Kieswetter, as well Trott, Prior and Strauss were all born in South Africa. Pietersen in particluar is the one 'English' player we really love to hate.

Ahhhh...thanks. That explains some.
Maybe England should be called S. Africa North?
:D:D