BIGUN

Classic Rock & Roll

Wow.
No one has brought up the Doobie Brothers?!?!?

You just did! Now, give us your quintessential Doobie Brothers song.

Long train Runnin
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Damn you guys are going waay old school.

Ok, I'll step into the '70s.

How about;

ZZ Top - La Grange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppbdf-qtGU

Isn't it mandatory every rock guitarist be able to do this solo? I think I saw it in the union rules somewhere.

Ah yeah, The Chicken Ranch, first and only whorehouse I ever went to.:)
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Wow.

Long train Runnin

Black Water, China Grove,
Black water is NOT rocky enough :P Love hte song but more of a ballad
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Wow.

Long train Runnin

Long train Runnin -----------------Mine too
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Classic Rock 'n Roll is early Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry...

It morphed into Classic Rock sometime around 1963. I believe Rolling Stone magazine credits The Kinks with leading the transition.

***Nope. That was sub-genre of Rock & Roll - "Rockabilly" usually (but not exclusively) refers to the type of rock and roll music which was played and recorded in the mid 1950s by white singers such as Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis, who drew mainly on the country roots of the music.[33] Many other popular rock and roll singers of the time, such as Fats Domino and Little Richard, came out of the black rhythm and blues tradition, making the music attractive to white audiences, and are not usually classed as "rockabilly."

[EDIT:]

[33] "Rockabilly", Allmusic, http://www.allmusic.com/explore/style/d187 retrieved 06/08/09.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

The classic rock format evolved from AOR radio stations that were attempting to appeal to an older audience by including familiar songs of the past with current hits.[4] In 1982, radio consultant Lee Abrams developed the Timeless Rock format which combined contemporary AOR with hits from the 1960s and 1970s.[5] By 1986, the success of the format resulted in oldies accounting for 60–80% of the music played on album rock stations. [6]

[5] "Timeless Rock FM Format Is Taking Shape", Billboard November 6, 1982: 1"

[6] "Overview 1986" Billboard December 27, 1986: Y4."

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_rock

On a separate more mellow note....

Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds Circa 1965

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

:)

A great song, also has the world record for the only hit rock song with lyrics over 2500 years old.

Classic Rock 'n Roll is early Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry...

It morphed into Classic Rock sometime around 1963. I believe Rolling Stone magazine credits The Kinks with leading the transition.

Nope. That was sub-genre of Rock & Roll - "Rockabilly" usually (but not exclusively) refers to the type of rock and roll music which was played and recorded in the mid 1950s by white singers such as Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis, who drew mainly on the country roots of the music.[33] Many other popular rock and roll singers of the time, such as Fats Domino and Little Richard, came out of the black rhythm and blues tradition, making the music attractive to white audiences, and are not usually classed as "rockabilly."

[EDIT:]

[33] "Rockabilly", Allmusic, http://www.allmusic.com/explore/style/d187 retrieved 06/08/09.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

The classic rock format evolved from AOR radio stations that were attempting to appeal to an older audience by including familiar songs of the past with current hits.[4] In 1982, radio consultant Lee Abrams developed the Timeless Rock format which combined contemporary AOR with hits from the 1960s and 1970s.[5] By 1986, the success of the format resulted in oldies accounting for 60–80% of the music played on album rock stations. [6]

[5] "Timeless Rock FM Format Is Taking Shape", Billboard November 6, 1982: 1"

[6] "Overview 1986" Billboard December 27, 1986: Y4."

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_rock

On a separate more mellow note....

Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds Circa 1965

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

:)

Carl Perkins turned-down the chance to record 'Blue Suede Shoes' for Sun Records. They offered it to a new kid named Elvis Presley. Elvis' recording went to the top of the charts. Perkins recorded it later with mediocre response. Perkins stated later that he regrets not recording the song when he first had the chance.

Chuck

Carl Perkins turned-down the chance to record 'Blue Suede Shoes' for Sun Records. They offered it to a new kid named Elvis Presley. Elvis' recording went to the top of the charts. Perkins recorded it later with mediocre response. Perkins stated later that he regrets not recording the song when he first had the chance.

Chuck, I never knew that. I've heard very few songs that can equal or top the original... and, in some cases, I really wish people wouldn't push them out if they can't meet or beat it. It ruins the original for me. I can tell you that in those cases where I've heard a remake of one of my many favorites - my tendency is to not even listen so it doesn't ruin it for me.

I was surprised when I walked into a friend's house and heard David Cook on American Idol do a remake of "Eleanor Rigby." Literally stood there ready to put my hands on my ears a howl at the moos (prolly why I don't watch AI)... but he did a great job [IMO] of making it new and I thought that even Paul McCartney could appreciate this kid.

"Eleanor Rigby" remake by David Cook.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

3. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones

I remember a commercial on TV several years that used this song. Dudes in office cubicleland were bouncing up and down as if on pogo sticks to the "hey ho, lets go" chants...

Finally I got to see the whole song on youtube... lyrics included: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGgYRGd1-E&skipcontrinter=1

ETA, I got to see The Ramones in concert at RIT in Rochester in the late 80s when I was a student there in college.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

***Nope. That was sub-genre of Rock & Roll - "Rockabilly" usually (but not exclusively) refers to the type of rock and roll music which was played and recorded in the mid 1950s by white singers such as Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis, who drew mainly on the country roots of the music.[33] Many other popular rock and roll singers of the time, such as Fats Domino and Little Richard, came out of the black rhythm and blues tradition, making the music attractive to white audiences, and are not usually classed as "rockabilly."

Encyclopædia Britannica, on the other hand, regards Rock 'n Roll as the music that originated in the mid-1950s and later developed "into the more encompassing international style known as rock music." Wikipedia and Rolling Stone use this definition.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If Wikipedia uses that definition and Wikipedia is the source cited... therefore, 1) You're wrong and I'm right, 2) I'm wrong and you're right, or 3) We're both right. If 1 is equal to "A," and 2 is equal to "B," and 3 is equal to "C," then, A != B and C is = to the end of time as we know it. :)

3. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones

I remember a commercial on TV several years that used this song. Dudes in office cubicleland were bouncing up and down as if on pogo sticks to the "hey ho, lets go" chants...

Finally I got to see the whole song on youtube... lyrics included: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGgYRGd1-E&skipcontrinter=1

ETA, I got to see The Ramones in concert at RIT in Rochester in the late 80s when I was a student there in college.

They put on a great show, I saw them in Seattle in 83.

Chuck, I never knew that. I've heard very few songs that can equal or top the original... and, in some cases, I really wish people wouldn't push them out if they can't meet or beat it. It ruins the original for me. I can tell you that in those cases where I've heard a remake of one of my many favorites - my tendency is to not even listen so it doesn't ruin it for me.

I was surprised when I walked into a friend's house and heard David Cook on American Idol do a remake of "Eleanor Rigby." Literally stood there ready to put my hands on my ears a howl at the moos (prolly why I don't watch AI)... but he did a great job [IMO] of making it new and I thought that even Paul McCartney could appreciate this kid.

"Eleanor Rigby" remake by David Cook.

BIGUN,
I recall seeing Cook do his version on AI. I was impressed then and re-viewing the video, I am still impressed.
Carl Perkins did a great job on 'Blue Suede Shoes' also but Elvis was too big by that time. On the other hand, Elvis did a great re-make of the Big Mamma Thornton song; 'You Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog'. There's a young girl on AI now, who did a version of a Carey Underwood song and knocked it out of the park. It's the rare person who can make a hit of a re-make of an 'original'. Some, music should just be left alone, too.

Chuck

Well, I'll agree with Robert Walser that it had an influence, but seriously who invented heavy metal; The Kinks wearing the Austin Powers suits or Mars F'in' Bonfire?

"Heavy Metal Thunder" is right in the lyrics!

Whereas, "You Really Got Me" I can't decide is about a guy who's just been dumped or whose girl won't give up the balloon knot. ;) Either way, it's just another love sick song. It's a bit harder than what the Beatles were doing at the time, but the subject matter is about as pedestrian as it gets.

(of course, this is all in fun.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi John,

Encyclopædia Britannica . . . regards Rock 'n Roll as the music that originated in the mid-1950s

As someone who was a teenager in the mid-50s', I agree.
Maybe you can convince Paul Quade of that little factoid. :P

Uh huh . . .
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver