skybytch

"Vintage" Stereo Equipment

Not that I post much, but since you brought it up...

In the basement, relegated to digital recorder/guitar duties;

Analog Fisher Studio Standard connected to a like pair of Fisher towers with 12inch woofers. It gets with it, if you ask.

Upstairs;

Boring new Harmon Kardon theater amp, but connected to two Carver TFM 15' CB, 200 watt, bridged so one per channel, connected to factory assembled pair of Speakerlab Super 7's.

It is so clean you can only tell it is loud when somebody tries to talk to you, and you only see their lips move, but you can't quite hear them.

----------------------------
bzzzz

In the 80's I had a David Hafler preamp and HK power amp. 90's an Adcom preamp and Threshold/Forte 4a. Gave the Adcom and Forte to a friend when I got my current Pass Labs X150.5 power amp and Pass X2.5 preamp. Speakers have always been DIY. Adcom used to be really good stuff. Not sure about their current products. The Pass Labs stuff is probably rest-of-my-life gear.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

How does one type the drooling noise that Homer Simpson makes???
Whatever it is, insert that type here:

B|

Yeah, well I drool too. The amp is supplemental heating for my house. And, no, I didn't spend $12,000 or whatever on the stuff. Without going into much detail, I'll say that whenever I visit Pass Labs, I typically get put on the production line for at least an hour, soldering, assembling, testing, or whatever. Doesn't seem like work;) Think rows and rows of Pass amps being built. Every time I've been to Nelson's house/listening room to drink beer and screw off, I leave thinking "I just saw some stuff that only a handfull of people in the world will ever see, and that I'll probably never see again...", and sure enough, there will be different cool stuff there next time I visit.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Lisa,
Go to Costco and pick yourself up a Bose radio that allows for an Ipod. Then get an ipod and download all of your music onto it. Sell your CD's and enjoy your new mini-jukebox!

Why would I do that when I can plug our desktop or any of our ipods into our amazing Carver amp and listen to the mp3's loud and clean enough to shake the neighbors floor two doors down? :ph34r:

I still have the stereo system I bought when I was in college in the late 70s. Still sounds fantastic.

I still have the system I MADE* when a post-doc in the early 70s.

* as in designed and etched the circuit boards myself and soldered in all the components, and turned up the knobs on a lathe.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I still have the Technics direct drive turntable hooked up to my Mac for copying my records.

Had a Marantz receiver for years, Sansui as well, a few Dula turntables with high-end Shure cartridges, Akai tape decks, and roomie had a B&O system as well which was very cool.

I built a lot of speakers myself, probably 7 sets of them over the years,

I still have the stereo system I bought when I was in college in the late 70s. Still sounds fantastic.

* as in designed and etched the circuit boards myself and soldered in all the components, and turned up the knobs on a lathe.

Now that's cool stuff.

-NickDG

Now that's cool stuff.

Back then it was far cheaper to make than to buy. Not any more.

I still have the Technics direct drive turntable hooked up to my Mac for copying my records.

I have a Technics in a closet - the drive belt rotted out and I couldn't get a replacement.

That's awesome TK.

I have a friend that begged me to sell him a pair of speakers I made years ago he still has them and still swears they are the best ever. Very nice pieces of furniture with a nice sound.

Been a long time since I built speakers. Actually the last speaks I built were subs.

Fun stuff!

B|

I built a lot of electronics years ago. My senior year technical project was an early pre-amp i built from scratch for DJ work, with multiple phono, tape, mic and audio inputs and such. Took me a year to design and build, got an 'A' as well.

Years later, I built a 400 Watt MOSFET power amp, just one channel first to work out any bugs. Powered it up, and pulled 408W RMS clean before any clipping.

One day, I went to fire it up again for some testing and the whole fucking thing went up in smoke. I never did figure out what went wrong and I never did get that fucker working again.

I built a lot of electronics years ago. My senior year technical project was an early pre-amp i built from scratch for DJ work, with multiple phono, tape, mic and audio inputs and such. Took me a year to design and build, got an 'A' as well.

Years later, I built a 400 Watt MOSFET power amp, just one channel first to work out any bugs. Powered it up, and pulled 408W RMS clean before any clipping.

One day, I went to fire it up again for some testing and the whole fucking thing went up in smoke. I never did figure out what went wrong and I never did get that fucker working again.

The hard part is getting the smoke back in.