skybytch

"Vintage" Stereo Equipment

I was a stereo freak between 1980 and 1990. Subscriptions to Stereo Review and Audiophile magazines, frequent trips to the high end stereo store to drool, a bunch of useless trivial knowledge.... but all I owned was a Fisher turntable, a Teac tape deck and a sweet pair of Boston Acoustics A70 speakers. The bed buddy/roommate owned the Denon CD player and the Realistic receiver.

The Realistic was replaced by a Carver receiver, and I fell in love. Ever since I moved away from it I've wanted a stereo powered by Carver.

The equipment I had is long gone - most of it drowned in Florida. Built a "new" stereo with mostly what are now considered to be "vintage" components a few years ago, The Yamaha receiver ($25) finally gave up the ghost last month.

What to do? Spend too much on a new receiver with features we'll never use? Or look on craigslist to see if we could find something awesome... like, I dunno, maybe an Adcom or NAD or - dare I even wish for it? - Carver amp?

Heh. Today I picked up the replacement for the Yamaha. It's a Carver CM-1090 integrated amp, I'm in audio heaven. This is what Pink Floyd is supposed to sound like.

Anybody else have a passion for semi-ancient audio technology? Whatcha running? Does it go to 11? ;)

Not running anything fancy, but I drooled over many a NAD receiver back in those years...

And I remember going to audio shows set up in hotels where each room had a specific setup, including one with some awesome 7 feet tall electrostatic speakers (cant remember the brand) powered by 3 Krell amps... [drool]
Remster

Back in '85, in Okinawa, Mike and I stood in line for 5 hrs. for the annual sale on Kadina AFB. We bought a Yamaha receiver, a Sony CD (single disc)player, and a limited edition oak set of BOSE 901s.

We wore out the receiver and CD player, but still have the 901s. Yes they can be cranked up to 11 (and some), but you need monster cable. We have since shopped for some newer technology, but every time we do, the salesmen say they can't touch that for quality.

Awesome sound, and they look great!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Back in '85, in Okinawa, Mike and I stood in line for 5 hrs. for the annual sale on Kadina AFB. We bought a Yamaha receiver, a Sony CD (single disc)player, and a limited edition oak set of BOSE 901s.

We wore out the receiver and CD player, but still have the 901s. Yes they can be cranked up to 11 (and some), but you need monster cable. We have since shopped for some newer technology, but every time we do, the salesmen say they can't touch that for quality.

Awesome sound, and they look great!

Pfffffft :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

still have the 901s.

Hmmm... yes... those were on my "win the lottery" list back then as well. They pop up on craigslist now and then, but not cheap and we already have a pair of Polk Audio towers that sound pretty good. Maybe someday.

My brother had a set of electrostatic speakers from about the same era. I think he spent over a grand on them. They were amazing, both in sound and in size!

>and a limited edition oak set of BOSE 901s.

We had a pair of oak 901's through college. They had some limitations but you could not blow those things out. And they fit out windows very nicely.

? A room big enough to pull them 8-15 in. from the wall? or ...
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

>? A room big enough to pull them 8-15 in. from the wall?

They needed precompensation _and_ a wall. And a decent stand. And they were small enough that people would overlook them at parties.

I had to look that word up in google (no dictionary def :S) but if you mean the weird equalizer (w/o which it would sound really weird) then yes. But it is a 3-piece speaker set.

As to people knocking them over at parties, no more so than other pieces of furniture. :P And it's easy to overlook the speakers on the roof (been there) B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi Mr T

We bought a upscale version of the crank phonograph at a estate auction when we were in college 71. It's a Pathe Phonograph model 7, 41" high with a Golden oak fumed finish. Made in 12-'22-19.

It's now sitting in our living room holding a Electric Dual 1019 turn table. So I guess its a frankenstein X antique. with the crank handle and tone needle holder. Origional paper work (Pathe) with matching serial numbers. :SB|

It still looks great and it is electric:)

One Jump Wonder

Pfffffft :D

I think SB was hoping for something that ran on electricity ;)

Yeah yeah...electric music just doesn't sound as good...sorry! :|

When society breaks down and zombies run the planet ... there will be no lectricery - so that will be the only thing to play your Justin Bleeper 45s on.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I loved my 901's! They were paired with a DBX-BX3 power amp and were the only thing with enough power sound to recreate a close to live performane of Kodo, (a Japanese Taiko drum team). Got to know the local police real well on some Friday nights!
Had a Technics turntable, Akai reel to reel, and a Nakamichi casette. Upgraded to a Sony DAT recorder in 1990 when they were first released in Japan but the instructions were in Japanese so I preferred the Akai for taping. The base exchange's in the Phillipines and Japan had all the latest and greatest for stereo technophobes!

I still miss my first Yammie. An R-700. Their first digital tuner with analog feel.

That's the receiver I have, the one that just died. Want it? I think it's a power supply issue.

My ex wife actually threw away my old Polk R-12's.

And that's why you divorced her, right? :ph34r: I would have!!