Jumpdude

Act of Valor Movie

No kidding. I wonder if they do that at every military funeral scene in a movie theater.

Feel free to jeer and throw popcorn at them for their insensitivity to your personal enjoyment of a movie experience.

Does raise an interesting question about where you draw the line, though. If someone stands up in front of me at a movie, he might think he's making an important point by showing his respect. I might think he's pointlessly blocking my view of what is, after all, just a movie (or as some critics have suggested, a recruitment advertisement).

But then I've never really understood why people sometimes applaud at the end of a film either. For me, both gestures are only worthwhile if the people you are honouring, or perhaps those they left behind, are there to appreciate the gesture.

Edited to add: I don't mean to be dismissive about the bravery or sacrifice shown by military personnel - just questioning where and how it's appropriate to recognise it.

To add to what Scott said, the Tridents being placed on the coffin is base on a real funeral service and was re-enacted pretty closely to how it happened. The SEAL who died earned the Medal of Honor for his actions. Many do not even know who he is or why he earned the Medal of Honor. Having sat with his surviving Team Mates and talking with them, I think every one of them would be glad the scene was re-enacted.

Yes, it is a movie. Yes, it started out as a Recruiting Project. But it is a good movie, with "real" plot and real human interests. And it gives away nothing you can't find on youtube or Popular Mechanics.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

however moving it is or well executed, or even meaningful to those in the theater, it's rude to block the view (stand), talk, etc during a movie. I don't care how well intentioned one thinks he is

afterwards, stand and clap all you want during the credits - perhaps I find it extremely moving and well played and it reminds me of friends and family lost in service or during my own service - perhaps my way to honor that is to sit quietly and try to experience it personally and make sure that my experience doesn't keep others from a chance to understand why it's important - my way doesn't interfere with the other moviegoers - the standers are being intrusive to the rest of the crowd, I consider it self indulgent.

Question - other than being respectful and having a better rationale, or at least one I understand. How is this, in application, any different that someone standing in the front row of any show and just standing up to get a better view and blocking it for all the rest?

In practice, I can't really say this is any better than loud movie talkers

In today's self indulgent society, I guess people will do what they want, and there isn't a rule either way, I just find it rude regardless of the best of intentions

I can't wait to see the movie.

(Yes, I do stand up for the national anthem, always. Yes, I do think that's entirely different)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If someone stands up in front of me at a movie, he might think he's making an important point by showing his respect

nobody cares why, actions define a person - intentions are private - so only action and results of the actions matter

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've never served in the armed forces and couldn't even if I tried, due to being fucking deaf, but I have been to a few military funerals, both family and friends. There will be a couple more in the future, including my godfather's.

The most moving funeral was for US Marine Corps Captain James "Trey" Wilbourn III. He was shot down over Iraq during Operation Desert Storm (or Shield) after finishing his 38th bombing sortie near the end of the aerial war and right before the ground war started.

He was a classmate of my brother and a family friend. Outstanding man. I was there at the family house when UPS delivered his personal effects. It was really tough to watch his sister open the box and run off to her room crying. [:/]

The funeral attracted thousands. I can still remember all the details, hearing the 21 gun salute and taps being played.

Semper Fi, we haven't forgotten you. http://www.flyauburn.org/?page_id=250

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've never served in the armed forces and couldn't even if I tried, due to being fucking deaf, but I have been to a few military funerals, both family and friends. There will be a couple more in the future, including my godfather's.

The most moving funeral was for US Marine Corps Captain James "Trey" Wilbourn III. He was shot down over Iraq during Operation Desert Storm (or Shield) after finishing his 38th bombing sortie near the end of the aerial war and right before the ground war started.

He was a classmate of my brother and a family friend. Outstanding man. I was there at the family house when UPS delivered his personal effects. It was really tough to watch his sister open the box and run off to her room crying. [:/]

The funeral attracted thousands. I can still remember all the details, hearing the 21 gun salute and taps being played.

Semper Fi, we haven't forgotten you. http://www.flyauburn.org/?page_id=250

I just want to say... the movie is great! Also, if active duty or retired military want to stand and salute I say more power to them. They have earned it. My grandfather once walked right in front of a line of 50 ppl at an air show to talk to a Col. standing in front of his P51. The Col. turned towards my grandfather instantly and saluted him then hugged him. Cutting in line is rude but in this situation he earned it!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

No kidding. I wonder if they do that at every military funeral scene in a movie theater.

Feel free to jeer and throw popcorn at them for their insensitivity to your personal enjoyment of a movie experience.

This movie's advertising stressed that the characters were real Navy Seals, not just actors. That made the impact more real than most movies, because some day there actually could be a military funeral for any one of those men. They're still out there, performing dangerous missions for our country.

There was also, in the credits at the end of the movie, a list of Navy Seals who have died in combat since 9/11/01. It was scrolling too fast for me to read all the names, so I just read one column out of two, and counted. I seem to recall there were 26 names in that one column, so that would be about 52 Navy Seals KIA total. That too made the funeral scene more real than the standard Hollywood movie.

It wouldn't affect my movie going experience. The point is that it's fictional. I think it's a bit over the top to stand up in a theatre and salute a fake funeral. It's not even based on a true story of a soldier who died like, "Taking Chance" for example. I could understand saluting during the list of deceased soldiers at the end, but during the funeral scene in a movie? Come on.

It's not even based on a true story of a soldier who died like, "Taking Chance" for example.

Based on your comment I take it you didn't take the time to read my or Matt's post above?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It wouldn't affect my movie going experience. The point is that it's fictional. I think it's a bit over the top to stand up in a theatre and salute a fake funeral. It's not even based on a true story of a soldier who died like, "Taking Chance" for example. I could understand saluting during the list of deceased soldiers at the end, but during the funeral scene in a movie? Come on.

Ok, since you see it as a "Fake funeral" scene, and not based on a true story, would your opinion be different if it were REAL footage of a REAL funeral that was incorporated in to the movie? Even if the movie was mostly Hollywood created?

I will say this, when that was happening, Not a single person had a problem with it! If they did, nobody said anything. And when the group congregated outside the theater, a bunch of the people who was coming out of the theater stopped to meet them and most thanked them for their service.

Ok, since you see it as a "Fake funeral" scene, and not based on a true story, would your opinion be different if it were REAL footage of a REAL funeral that was incorporated in to the movie? Even if the movie was mostly Hollywood created?

I will say this, when that was happening, Not a single person had a problem with it! If they did, nobody said anything. And when the group congregated outside the theater, a bunch of the people who was coming out of the theater stopped to meet them and most thanked them for their service.

I may, I dunno. Look, I see what they did as cheesy, you don't have to agree. I was just wondering if they stand and salute at every military movie they see. I doubt it.

It's not even based on a true story of a soldier who died like, "Taking Chance" for example.

Based on your comment I take it you didn't take the time to read my or Matt's post above?

No, I didn't see your post, but it really doesn't change my opinion

Really? I really didn't like the movie, because it came off as cheesy. My whole family is military, and we all saw it together. Nobody liked it. I felt like I could see Comrade Commisar "Public Relations Officer" dicking up the movie from must off camera. You know "Wait wait! Make the guy get out of the truck and pop off a wild RPG at the chopper before the door gunner lights him up! Otherwise it's breaking ROEs and makes us look bad!"

They showed off their assets, which was pretty cool, but they didn't work it in well. It was obvious at the time that "this chopper with a door gun" was brought in just to show it off, not because it was necessary (if you'll remember, the SEALs held fire, basically letting the truck drive away). Things like that.

Then the stilted lines to show the "bond". I want to feel the bond in small things, like a good book does. Not have a character turn and say "We're really bonded, Mike."

Anyway, just me 2 cents. I guess I felt like the SEALs deserved more in a movie. Not a script written by amateurs and censored by a PR officers. It should have been Saving Private Ryan epic level.

I may, I dunno. Look, I see what they did as cheesy,

How was it "Cheesy"? Matt is a retired soldier who has a lot of real life experiences to share and based on what he said, it was pretty close to accurate, and I believe there's a couple others posting in this thread who are retirees or ex-military, AND based on the fact that they used real Seals, I have to ask, what was "Cheesy" about it?

I may, I dunno. Look, I see what they did as cheesy,

How was it "Cheesy"? Matt is a retired soldier who has a lot of real life experiences to share and based on what he said, it was pretty close to accurate, and I believe there's a couple others posting in this thread who are retirees or ex-military, AND based on the fact that they used real Seals, I have to ask, what was "Cheesy" about it?

Because it was in the middle of a theatrical film. Just like when people clap at the end.

For what it is worth, there are 3 deaths/scenes/scenarios that are attributable to REAL WORLD events where a SEAL has fallen, to include the funeral scene. It may be a movie but the deaths in the movie can be traced back to real SEALS who have died in combat. We all couldn't be at the funerals, some didn't even know or hear about it on the news but at the end of the day if someone wants to show their respect/support for the fallen by standing at a movie or sending care packages to the troops deployed, etc, I think thats a good thing.

Well said Scott! I saw the movie last week and it is great. I will be happy to see it again.

Well, why confuse the issue with facts?[:/]

Matt

I lot of issues fan out for production teams and directors -- when dealing with actors that are real soldiers -- The soldiers have to hold back on types of information and energy as well -- the actual action seen transfer when -- telling a true -- or real to life story Can not under any image cross the line and indanger an actual seal team-- telling the story is important -- but cheesy is as cheesy does -- I think we should have an Army story:)

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

Because it was in the middle of a theatrical film. Just like when people clap at the end.

I'm trying to understand why you consider this "cheesy".

If it was at the end of the film, instead of "in the middle", would that be okay?
Is it cheesy to stand and cheer after a touchdown at a football game?
Is it cheesy to applaud at the end of a Broadway play?
Is it cheesy to applaud at certain points during someone's speech?

Because it's a MOVIE.

The list you gave are actual real events that are happening that you're supporting, not fictional movies.

I'm sorry, but standing and saluting a funeral in a military movie is just silly to me. There is a million different military movies with funeral scenes, do they salute at each one?

Because it's a MOVIE.

The list you gave are actual real events that are happening that you're supporting, not fictional movies.

I'm sorry, but standing and saluting a funeral in a military movie is just silly to me. There is a million different military movies with funeral scenes, do they salute at each one?

So Clapping, cheering, standing, and saluting are all silly because it is a movie.

You would make a researcher go nuts. We have test screenings and review groups to see just those things where the Director and Producer hope to see them. It validates for them that they connected with the audience and are doing their job well and invoking that emotional response.

It is a good movie, Oscar worthy as some suggest? Maybe parts of the production. Look at what wins these days and they have a chance like any other, except it is probably too political.

If you watch a movie and it doesn't connect, fine, if it connects for others as the Production hoped, that is fine too. They still got your $8.75.

Matt

Because it's a MOVIE.

So Clapping, cheering, standing, and saluting are all silly because it is a movie.

You would make a researcher go nuts. We have test screenings and review groups to see just those things where the Director and Producer hope to see them. It validates for them that they connected with the audience and are doing their job well and invoking that emotional response.

It is a good movie, Oscar worthy as some suggest? Maybe parts of the production. Look at what wins these days and they have a chance like any other, except it is probably too political.

If you watch a movie and it doesn't connect, fine, if it connects for others as the Production hoped, that is fine too. They still got your $8.75.

Matt

I never said it wasn't a good movie. I loved it and will purchase it when it's released and I never said it didn't "connect" with me.

You think production was hoping that it would connect with everyone in the audience and they would all stand and salute? I doubt it.