Jumpdude

Act of Valor Movie

My Gf and I went last night to see the new movie "Act of Valor", and it was a great movie, perhaps one of the most powerful movies I've seen in a long time, but it was what happened at the movie that was more powerful and moving that ANYTHING I've ever seen at a movie.
When we walked in, we noticed that the front section of the theater was full, but this didn't seem any different than any other movie we had been to, but, during the funeral scene at the end of the movie, most of the people in the front section stood up, stood at attention, and saluted as if they were actually part of the funeral, then as this scene progressed, I guess 15 or 20 others who were either active, retired or ex-military, including myself were standing and saluting, and sniffs could be heard as others were in tears.

That was something I will probably never see again, as was honored to have been there for.
It is undoubtedly the best and most powerful movie I've ever seen.

My Gf and I went last night to see the new movie "Act of Valor", and it was a great movie, perhaps one of the most powerful movies I've seen in a long time, but it was what happened at the movie that was more powerful and moving that ANYTHING I've ever seen at a movie.
When we walked in, we noticed that the front section of the theater was full, but this didn't seem any different than any other movie we had been to, but, during the funeral scene at the end of the movie, most of the people in the front section stood up, stood at attention, and saluted as if they were actually part of the funeral, then as this scene progressed, I guess 15 or 20 others who were either active, retired or ex-military, including myself were standing and saluting, and sniffs could be heard as others were in tears.

That was something I will probably never see again, as was honored to have been there for.

Where were you, and who were the people in the front rows?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Where were you, and who were the people in the front rows?

I was in the middle of the theater about half way up. The people in the front section were a bunch of military people and their families. A couple of them were active military, most were retirees, and some were ex-military.

Thanks for sharing that it must have been a very moving moment. I had a similar moment back when Saving Private Ryan came out. I was at the theatre and the opening scene brought the older gentleman beside me to tears. I could only assume he was an old military Vet. It really brings home the sacrifices those who came before us have made.

Thanks for sharing that it must have been a very moving moment. I had a similar moment back when Saving Private Ryan came out. I was at the theater and the opening scene brought the older gentleman beside me to tears. I could only assume he was an old military Vet. It really brings home the sacrifices those who came before us have made.

I didn't get to see that one at the theater, but I've seen it a few times on TV, but I will say that I had hear of that happening regularly at the theaters. This was the first time I had ever seen anything like this. I was almost like something you would see in a movie, but it happened in real life. Guess that brotherhood never diminishes.

Meh. That was the original route I was going. maybe even thought the front crowed was a prop (more likely not with a low budget movie), or staged by some veteran group. But if some people are moved by a fictional movie . . whatever floats their boats. Good on them.:)

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Meh. That was the original route I was going. maybe even thought the front crowed was a prop (more likely not with a low budget movie), or staged by some veteran group. But if some people are moved by a fictional movie . . whatever floats their boats. Good on them.:)

I was not sure what to do, so I didn't wanna be an asshole and not follow suit, but being that I was in the Army as well, and even though I only did a three year term, I still have that level of respect for anyone who is in the military and especially the one who gave their life for us!

Seems like a nice patriotic moment. Now having said that......I think those types of honors should be reserved for actual people who died, and not for a fictional movie.

I think that signs/acts of respect like what is described by the OP is part of what is earned by the members of our military. Granted, it could have been staged, and I agree that this may be a fictional movie, I do however believe that in this scenario, it depicts the fact that we have lost personnel in similar situations as depicted in the movie, so, if people are inclined to show their respect, it shouldn't be any problem for them to do so.

I was not sure what to do, so I didn't wanna be an asshole and not follow suit, but being that I was in the Army as well, and even though I only did a three year term, I still have that level of respect for anyone who is in the military and especially the one who gave their life for us!

I remember when i went to see the movie Flags of our Fathers, there was a bunch of Marines in uniform cammies. Im pretty sure they were all fresh out of boot camp and with their recruiter. So mostly its a way for the recruiters to get to talk to more people. Just the way i see it.

I was not sure what to do, so I didn't wanna be an asshole and not follow suit, !

your motives seem at odds with the act.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was not sure what to do, so I didn't wanna be an asshole and not follow suit, !

your motives seem at odds with the act.

I was being harsh, almost smart ass by saying it that way.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

But if some people are moved by a fictional movie . . whatever floats their boats.

Military funerals are not fiction. And anyone who has ever attended one for a friend or family member will likely get tears when they see one repeated in a movie. One should not make light of that response. If you don't respect it, it just means you haven't experienced it yet. If you're really lucky, maybe you'll never have to learn to cry at a movie funeral.

But if some people are moved by a fictional movie . . whatever floats their boats.

Military funerals are not fiction. And anyone who has ever attended one for a friend or family member will likely get tears when they see one repeated in a movie. One should not make light of that response. If you don't respect it, it just means you haven't experienced it yet. If you're really lucky, maybe you'll never have to learn to cry at a movie funeral.

The last roll call and bagpipes get me every time. [:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've been to three. I agree with every word you said!
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

*sigh* (my post in support of Jumperdude's action did not post.)

Bullshit. This military funeral was fiction. Even though it was based off of a lot of support by the Teams, it is still a suspension of belief.

I am still active duty, and been for years. I have attended real Military Funerals with my Grandfather's (Battle of the Bulge) 101st Airborne (Army), Two uncles (Vietnam) and three Active Duty Iraq/Afghanistan Funerals at Ft Rosecrans and other non-national cemetaries, and a few others(family acquaintances) who served cold-war, Korean war .ect. . .
I have the damn Ceremony down by heart. A work of fiction isn't real or as heartfelt.

When you serve almost two decades, maybe you will understand. Movies just don't cut it and never will.:S

You served before. Don't you remember talking to your Wife about how you want your funeral arranged if you bought it? Creamated or buried? Which cemetary, or by your family plot? The wills? The stress and the look in her eyes during the whole dam conversation? Tell me a damn move moves you!

*sigh* (my post in support of Jumperdude's action did not post.)

Bullshit. This military funeral was fiction. Even though it was based off of a lot of support by the Teams, it is still a suspension of belief.

I am still active duty, and been for years. I have attended real Military Funerals with my Grandfather's (Battle of the Bulge) 101st Airborne (Army), Two uncles (Vietnam) and three Active Duty Iraq/Afghanistan Funerals at Ft Rosecrans and other non-national cemetaries, and a few others(family acquaintances) who served cold-war, Korean war .ect. . .
I have the damn Ceremony down by heart. A work of fiction isn't real or as heartfelt.

When you serve almost two decades, maybe you will understand. Movies just don't cut it and never will.:S

You served before. Don't you remember talking to your Wife about how you want your funeral arranged if you bought it? Creamated or buried? Which cemetary, or by your family plot? The wills? The stress and the look in her eyes during the whole dam conversation? Tell me a damn move moves you!

Thank you for your service. Given your experience, I would think you would understand what I said. You're not necessarily crying for the fictional death of the movie character, you're crying because the scene reminds you of real life military funerals, for real people. Yes, some movies move me. That scene at the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" made me cry like a fucking baby. The funeral in "Act of Valor" did make tears well up in my eyes. The movie "Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon was actually painful to watch for the whole friggan two hours. And I just lost a friend yesterday who was a former Navy Seal in Vietnam, so I'm fixin' to cry again. And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Then again, maybe I'm just a big fuckin' cry-baby.

John,

Maybe I'm a little bit to bitter for letting those who experience pain through art not pay their respects.

I apologise to you and to all who have. Didn't mean to shit on everyone.

You aren't no fucking crybaby. You are a Man who feels loss.

My greatest respect and condolences.

Jerry

For what it is worth, there are 3 deaths/scenes/scenarios that are attributable to REAL WORLD events where a SEAL has fallen, to include the funeral scene. It may be a movie but the deaths in the movie can be traced back to real SEALS who have died in combat. We all couldn't be at the funerals, some didn't even know or hear about it on the news but at the end of the day if someone wants to show their respect/support for the fallen by standing at a movie or sending care packages to the troops deployed, etc, I think thats a good thing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Seems like a nice patriotic moment. Now having said that......I think those types of honors should be reserved for actual people who died, and not for a fictional movie.

No kidding. I wonder if they do that at every military funeral scene in a movie theater.

No kidding. I wonder if they do that at every military funeral scene in a movie theater.

Feel free to jeer and throw popcorn at them for their insensitivity to your personal enjoyment of a movie experience.

This movie's advertising stressed that the characters were real Navy Seals, not just actors. That made the impact more real than most movies, because some day there actually could be a military funeral for any one of those men. They're still out there, performing dangerous missions for our country.

There was also, in the credits at the end of the movie, a list of Navy Seals who have died in combat since 9/11/01. It was scrolling too fast for me to read all the names, so I just read one column out of two, and counted. I seem to recall there were 26 names in that one column, so that would be about 52 Navy Seals KIA total. That too made the funeral scene more real than the standard Hollywood movie.