J0nathan

How many skydiver also scubadive ?

i noticed that many skydiver also seem to scubadive (i do too :P). so i made this poll to find out how many on average do both amazing sports.

blue skies

I learned to SCUBA at the age of 12 with my Grandfathers gear from the 1940's. Of course the reason was to be able to scrape boat bottoms of the teaming life that like to attach themselves... so that the family boats did not have to be pulled from the water as frequently.

But then again... after the work was done G-pa would take us out to some cool sites offshore so we could get some nice fresh dinner:)

I dive during the week as a part of my job. Then I skydive on the weekends.

there has been more than one occasion where I have turned to the Accent to Altitude tables in the Dive manual and decided that maybe instead of skydiving on Saturday, I should wait until Sunday....

Has never effected my ability to dive on Monday though. Going deeper is never a problem.....:ph34r:

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

there has been more than one occasion where I have turned to the Accent to Altitude tables in the Dive manual and decided that maybe instead of skydiving on Saturday, I should wait until Sunday....

Good advice. I know a few people who went to altitude too soon after a dive and turned into Mr Fizzy.....getting bent is not a good idea....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Seldom ever need a Drysuit here in Florida.... on the coldest days I only wear a 5-7mm with a hood and still do 5 dives.

Until you hit the caves or do lots of mixed gas diving :)
I wish I lived in a place where I could do 5 dives a day in a thin wetsuit though.....that would be great :)
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Seldom ever need a Drysuit here in Florida.... on the coldest days I only wear a 5-7mm with a hood and still do 5 dives.

Until you hit the caves or do lots of mixed gas diving :)
I wish I lived in a place where I could do 5 dives a day in a thin wetsuit though.....that would be great :)

I say outta those caves! We have a compressor and mix Nitrox, but use straight gas over 160'... gotta love that narcosis :S
Now when the thermocline comes in on the Atlantic side...I wish I had a dry suit... we have had it as cold as 49 f at 100fsw... the lobster just lay there and let you grab em!
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

Years before I was "Skydiving Duck" I was, briefly, SCUBA Duck. It wasn't pretty. :$

I went to the navy dive school. I have to say, my instructor was a weee tad meaner....;)
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Years before I was "Skydiving Duck" I was, briefly, SCUBA Duck. It wasn't pretty.

Sorry you had such a bad experience! It helps finding good instructors and doing some boat diving. This costs money, but like good scuba equipment, the extra money you pay makes the experience so much better! I've taught scuba diving for the last six years in Denver. We have a 80-degree heated indoor pool for most of the work. When it's time for open water, some students want to go to the local lakes, which are murky and cold (but don't have waves!). It sucks, but if one can't afford a trip to the Caribbean, it's another option. We also drive down to New Mexico and dive in Santa Rosa - that is also cold, but the water is crystal clear. If you set aside more money for a trip with the store, we all go out together to the Caribbean, dive off of boats, enjoy the nice clear, warm water, and have a lot of fun. Like I said, get a good scuba instructor, hook up with a good Local Dive Shop, spend the money for some boat diving at a nice location. It makes all the difference.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Years before I was "Skydiving Duck" I was, briefly, SCUBA Duck. It wasn't pretty. :$

I went to the navy dive school. I have to say, my instructor was a weee tad meaner....;)

MY Instructor was a U.S. State Governor.

While on vacation he invited his brother & I down to the family's plush sea side villa about 90 clicks south of Cancun to get our PADI certifications...B|

It was all of a 20' walk from my room across the warm sand to the ocean.

Fresh tanks were delivered every morning and afternoon...I studied the book drinking mojitos on the veranda watching magnificent sunsets.

It didn't SUCK! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Years before I was "Skydiving Duck" I was, briefly, SCUBA Duck. It wasn't pretty.

Sorry you had such a bad experience! It helps finding good instructors and doing some boat diving. This costs money, but like good scuba equipment, the extra money you pay makes the experience so much better!

The instructor actually was a decent guy- I just don't think he realized I was truly stuck at first. The classes included both the beach dive (yech) and a boat dive. The boat dive was much more fun. :)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I have been scuba diving since age 13 and still enjoy it, worked commercial, dove cave, wrecks and rebreathers also. The only thing I dont like about Scuba in a minor way is thats its become a tourist sport for old grannies and resorts treat all divers alike...
Fortunately I have my own boat, usually dive alone, and do what I what most of the time. Skydivers to me seem a little more independant and adventurous than the Scuba crowd in general, but lots of people do both.

NAUI Master diver
Cave. Furthest back 2,400 feet, Longest Traverse 4,423 feet (Peacock).
Wreck... South FL has just tons of them (Hydro Atlantic, Lowrance, Sucre..Etc)
Hypoxic Trimix. Deepest 280 feet (Eagles Nest, FL).

The pic is from Ginnie Springs.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334