oldwomanc6

Do You Patronize the Library?

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I LOVE it. However, let's face it, I'm not going to pay $10 for the digital copy of a book when I can check it out from the library for free. I check out a lot of non-fiction and self-help from the library and anything I can't find cheap for my Kindle. I think I have 7 library books out right now.

ETA: And I check out movies and CDs, too. You can copy the CDs, and you really can't beat a free movie night!

I generally go to the library for research rather than pleasure. Had to go to the central one in downtown LA last weekend. It's pretty awesome.

Here's the view looking up the escalators from the history section in the lowest floor and another shot of what it looks like from the outside.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Whats a library? Havent set foot in one in prolly 10 years or more. Lol

Most the books i own are medical books for work.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I LOVE it. However, let's face it, I'm not going to pay $10 for the digital copy of a book when I can check it out from the library for free. I check out a lot of non-fiction and self-help from the library and anything I can't find cheap for my Kindle. I think I have 7 library books out right now.

ETA: And I check out movies and CDs, too. You can copy the CDs, and you really can't beat a free movie night!

My boss does the same thing except she can check out the Ebooks from the library on line, consumer reports etc from home.

I stop buy and check out a handful of mags (except the current edition) like fine woodworking. cosmpolitian, good house keeping, fine cooking etc etc.

Going to the library has changed a lot. We can checkout our own books with a bar code reader, the books in stock are listed on computer terminals, computer's are available for surfing the net:o

What happened to all those dewey cards in those nice oak drawers?

I conside the library to be a valuable resource, especially if you can't afford a computer or hi speed internet.

R.

I use the library quite often when i am traveling for free internet and printing. Haven't checked out a book in ages. I usually just swap books with friends and other travellers. Have to make a trip next week to see a JP and print some docs.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I use the library quite often when i am traveling for free internet and printing. Haven't checked out a book in ages. I usually just swap books with friends and other travellers. Have to make a trip next week to see a JP and print some docs.

I can pretty much print anything you need mate.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm a power user of the library. It's rare that I go in and browse for books, instead, I just put things on hold and when they're available, they're delivered to my local branch and I get an email telling me I can come pick them up.

The library system here allows you to have a maximum of 10 books on hold at any time, and I always have my list full (and I have a huge list that I maintain elsewhere of books to read so that I always have something to move onto my library queue when a slot opens up). Sometimes it's challenging to get through a book in 3 weeks (since much of what I'm reading is recent enough that other people also want to read it, so a renewal isn't possible), especially if I get several at a time, but generally I think that getting things from the library instills a sense of urgency to my reading so that if I'm faced with a choice of TV or internet or the book, I might pick up the book since I know it's due back in a few days.

After a bunch of moves where I was purging books to avoid packing/hauling so many books, I realized that the vast majority of books that I buy, I never read again, and I really do not have any need to own them. So now, if I enjoy something so much that I foresee re-reading it, I'll buy it *after* I've read it at the library. I do buy used books from time to time (usually from the used book sale shelf at the library so my purchases also support the library). Those are handy to have for traveling, as I can just leave them somewhere or give them to a friend (as I did with some of the books I brought to the Nicaragua Boogie last week, as we all had much more reading time than we'd anticipated!).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm with you NWFlyer-I have many books on reserve that are shipped to my library when they are available. We also have a HUGE selection of ebooks, so if you cant find it in book form, its possible its in e book form. And I totally understand about the 3 week checkout...sometimes if its a big book, I have to calculate how many pages I need to read daily to finish it before its due:P

Also, libraries have an amazing selection of music and movies...I don't have or need Netflix and never pay for movies because our libraries basically have everything.

Also, for those who have books in their house that they will never read again, there is an AWESOME program called Paperbackswap.com that allows you to send and receive books from other members (which there's like 5 million of them) for only the cost of media mail. So you end up paying roughly $2.41 per book you request. I've been doing it for about two years and it is amazing!

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I go to Library almost everyday. Use computer, a few chess books, and meet a chess club coach and a player for games alot. The have rooms and outside table chairs in front of coffee shop. And once a month open mic music. And movies inside...It's a great library! Skydive Camarillo lands close to it, I see canopies (tandem) every once in awhile!

The 3 week rule is challenge but if the books not on hold for the next person we can just email the library and roll it over for another 3 weeks:)
We live in a small town it's like a hangout for the teens. Their fine inside the library , but outside they got their skate boards, smokeing, low cut blouses, etc etc.

I know their teens and it is what it is. but itheir not mineB|:)
Other people write letters to the editor whine etc. I just tell myself no problem, I'm not a parent.

Anyway we like the library in spite of the show outside. In some towns it's a lot worse so YMMV.

R

One Jump Wonder

Yeah, I go quite a bit, and it's all for pleasure - literature as well as historical & biographical non-fiction. I, too, had not set foot in a non-law library in about 20 years. Neither law school nor the scam of "continuing education" are education to me; they're more like just advanced trade school. (Undergrad, on the other hand, was actually education.) And after about 20 years of reading little other than stuff related to (the often drudgery of) my profession, I started to feel under-educated for my age. So I re-discovered libraries, literature and good non-fiction, and I'm loving it.

We live in a small town it's like a hangout for the teens. Their fine inside the library , but outside they got their skate boards, smokeing, low cut blouses, etc etc.

funny, i stopped going to linraries boutthe same time i stopped skating, ;)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.