mardigrasbob

Anger at DZ.com examined

Nice is always - in some cases - better then mean --Good better then bad -- and smart in its place watching stupid-- -- building hate or anger in a skydiving place is crazy--- but we all see a lot - so we all feel a lot--It would be smarter -- to ratchet back the ---"OH you Typed Something--- sucker-- NOW feel my smarty Laugh at you for thinking--- and make fun of you at same time -- like a super postioning skydiver / skyGOd ~poweraction" --but on the left side -- If your not a JEW --I'll back your idea up --- blind mon----thats not very happy is it?

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

Is REC. still around?? Maybe he could start by cleaning that site up first.

Mardigras Bob is an OK guy in my book. I've known him and jumped with him and to my way of thinking only ever has the best intentions.

I'd cut him a bit o' slack on this.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There quite a few people who post on here who are not skydivers.

"Quite a few" is relative. DZ.com has 103967 registered users... 22311 of which have never even logged on (just over 21%)... Plus there are undoubtedly duplicate profiles... But even without this, 103k users is not exactly a huge population. And for those who are not registered, they don't even get access to many forums where a lot of the nasty stuff goes on... Even if half of the *active* registered users were non-skydivers (which I doubt is the case), we are still only talking about a few thousand people world-wide... Harldy a lot.

Moreover if it has a negative effect (and it obviously does, as the OP is not the 1st person to make a post such as his) on skydivers it will most certainly have a negative effect on visiting non jumpers, and prospective jumpers.

As above - My point was not that this site has NO impact on skydivers and/or whuffos... Just that the OP seemed to be exaggerating the scale of the impact.

Also many of the negative aspects of this "reality" you speak of are overly exaggerated on here. The vast majority of BS that is posted here by keyboard cowboys/girls, does not get an airing in REAL reality, REAL reality as more concrete consequences. .

I agree - I put "real" in quotes for a reason...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I agree with the general premise of your post. My attitude to dz.com changed when I started putting faces to posters and meeting them in person. .

I have noticed that you have been posting more after you met me.
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I agree with the general premise of your post. My attitude to dz.com changed when I started putting faces to posters and meeting them in person. .

Prolly drinkin' more too! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Prolly drinkin' more too! :P

Nigel? Not possible.
Even the Irish hold him in awe.

Ever hear about the Irismen who walked out of the bar?

Neither have I.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If you're looking for sunshine and happiness you might want to check out http://www.christianmingle.com

:D:D:D:D

Just don't start any threads about evolution.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

First let me thank P.Q. and all who have taken time to pm me and express their views!
The only thing I enjoy more than skydiving is the skydiving community. As it is now Dropzone.com does NOT accurately reflect that community. From my experience skydivers are highly creative,intelligent, careful people not prone to drama,disharmony, or dishonesty. The public perception that jumpers are nietzsche-esk ego-tripping death seekers is as far from reality that is possible. My experience, for example, with the filming of the Honda UK commercial was an absolute eye opener; here were the absolute best RW skydivers in the world(I felt like a roadie at a
Stones concert).I did not hear one -not one- derogatory slight or even a negative insinuation between the participants. The scene from the movie Dropzone where these overfed brutes attempt to whup up on Pete Nessip for sitting at their table is just plain hogwash.
Dropzone.com is a free service and provides some very useful benefits. I may be wrong in my belief that the general perception among most jumpers is that DZ.com has become like a undisaplined gang of adolecents, best avoided. I'm not refering to SC or BF but the entire forum application.
I challenge those who disagree to take 30 minutes to read Incidents or Safety and Training and not feel ashamed.
My hope by starting this thread, besides just to vent, was to open a dialog on how to get DZ.com to greater reflect the skydive community.
Maybe riddler is right with the assessment that I should 'create your very own skydiving website,... et al.'For that matter maybe I should start my own cellphone company or fastfood restuarant,or my own highway system.
Dissatifaction is the greatest impetus for change.

If you're looking for sunshine and happiness you might want to check out http://www.christianmingle.com

:D:D:D:D

Just don't start any threads about evolution.

Don

As good an argument as it may appear to be, your existence is not a counter proof of evolution.
Remster

...Dropzone.com is a free service and provides some very useful benefits. I may be wrong in my belief that the general perception among most jumpers is that DZ.com has become like a undisaplined gang of adolecents, best avoided. I'm not refering to SC or BF but the entire forum application.
I challenge those who disagree to take 30 minutes to read Incidents or Safety and Training and not feel ashamed...

I don't feel ashamed about it. I usually spend a few minutes considering the implications of what I write before I click on 'post'. I can only control what I post. I have no control over what others post.

There is a lot of garbage there. There's some downright nasty stuff. Even more really, really stupid stuff. The mods do a pretty good job keeping the Incidents forum clear of it (Note that the Jeb Corliss incident thread has about half of the posts removed) but there's still some "not very nice" stuff in there. Sometimes the conclusion "He was an idiot and earned his injuries" isn't very nice. But it is often true.

Because this is a free and open site, there are a lot of posers, pretenders and flat out trolls on here (some of the trolls are real skydivers too). And because it's an internet site, there are a lot of idiots who will say stuff that they wouldn't have the balls to say in person.

All you have to do is not read their posts, and not respond to them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yeah. But I have stopped looking at SC. I used to post there a lot, but trolling gun threads lost its fun, when I knew the guys. Hanging out at a Southern dz changed my views a bit. Getting to know friendly intelligent 'rednecks' was good for me.

I like the site and all the posters I have met so far. I'll see if that holds true when I meet Squeak :)

I like the site and all the posters I have met so far. I'll see if that holds true when I meet Squeak :)

Might not happen if you dont walk up and and say hi.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Kinda hard to do if we don't recognize you. I looked a couple times and wondered who that hippie was with the long hair nad beard.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Kinda hard to do if we don't recognize you. I looked a couple times and wondered who that hippie was with the long hair nad beard.

Thought it was 'just' another 'packer' huh? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I allways thought that selected posts from dz.com would be excellent reading material in a book printed, depends on selector of course
but
THE BEST STUFF is in Recycle Bin! I would pay to get access to. Lots of mine in there.
What goes around, comes later.

Maybe we need a NSF B(.)(.)BIES thread?
You can't get pissed if you are looking at B(.)(.)BIES
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

All the real fun stopped when the corporate tools bought it out, but it has never been particularly relevant, just a decent information collection point. It's always up to the individual to find the value.

If you are judging a physical activity from it's internet forum you are; very naive about the internet in general, a fool, or both.

WTF I dont have long hair or a beard?:|

anymoreB|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You couldn't just have walked up and said "Hi mate".

No, you had to walk around and lurk and wait to be discovered, kind of like making a huge entrance at the royal ball.

>:(

Hate to admit it, but it was funny when I finaly realized it was you.:|:D

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity