nanook

What is this Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

I've been getting a lot of credit card offers in the mail recently, the Chase Ink, some card called the "Thank You", some Capital One cards, and the granddaddy cheesiest offer of them all: The Visa Black. Complete with the huge black envelope and the promise of prestige. All I have to do is pay $495 a year and women wearing black form-fitting clothes in a french black helicopter will come to sleep with me. Go Marketing!!

So does anyone have a Sapphire card? It doesn't appear to be a cheesy card pandering to fake prestige. I have an AMEX Platinum that I haven't been using a lot lately and have considered downgrading to a Gold or even Green. It was very useful with emergency services with rental properties that I had and am traveling a lot less and now not making enough points to cover the cost of the annual fee. I'm looking for something better but with enough spending ability to cover sudden expensive costs of doing business.
Anyone have experience with this card?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Three best deals I have found on cards are...
B of A cash back. 1% back on everything you spend.
B of A AOPA 5% discount at FBOs for avgas.
GM save miles for a car. It really works!

Not worth getting any card with an annual fee.
Best not to get a "business" card as the rules are very different and interest rates can be much higher.

jon

Not worth getting any card with an annual fee.

Not 'always' true...

AMX platinum has a rather high annual fee, but IF you travel a lot and use the perks the card offers, it's well worth it.

Free access to all the presidents clubs...got a 4 hour lay over? You can pay 5.00 for a bottle of water and wait in a cramped airport chair....OR head to the 'club' take a hot shower and suck down a few free Jack & waters, watching the game in a leather lazy-boy.

All the hotels in Bumturn Bavaria are booked? Call AMX, 3 minutes later you have a room.

on & on...but if you don't use the perks, not worth having.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have the Sapphire.
It's Chase's version of the ANY Travel Reward plan.
If you've throttled back on traveling, it's not worth it.
I use the Chase Southwest card and Hilton Honors.
I read the Black Card when it came out... nah.
Like you, I still keep AMEX Platinum and have had the annual fee waived due to the amount spent (business expenses).
Also have the AMEX Platinum Optima.
Personally, I'm a big fan of AMEX and have been a member since 1986.

It's pretty bad when you need help one day and the guy on the AMEX phone says, "You've been a member longer than I've been alive." :S

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Used to travel all over the world and accumulated a squillion bongo bucks with Sheraton and Hilton. (6 months in the Istanbul Sheraton and a whole year in the Conrad Hilton in Dublin) Prefer getting cash back to buying a Stairmaster or espresso maker with points. You are right about the airport perks tho. Sometimes I miss 'em... nah.

jon