rnicks

Traveling with cats??

Anybody have any experience traveling long distance with 2 cats? I'm moving across the county in a couple of weeks and know my cats are going to freak out. I read an older thread about moving cats but it didn't specify the logistics.

I estimate the trip will take about 2 days. How do I let them out of their carriers to go to the bathroom? There won't be room in the cab of the u-haul, but I'm terrified of letting them loose in the back of the truck. They will freak, run and hide. I'm making this trip by myself so I won't have help in containing them. I don't want to give them sedatives.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I estimate the trip will take about 2 days. How do I let them out of their carriers to go to the bathroom?

Disposable litter box in the hotel bathroom.

I don't want to give them sedatives.

Sedatives will be more pleasant for both cats and you.

If you can afford it you may be better off flying back to get them so they're not traveling as long.

I drove 2 cats from Denver to LA in a Uhaul. Not too big of a
deal. I let them loose in the cab of the truck with me, and had
a small litter box (shoe box sized) on the floor behind the passenger
seat (had to move the seat all the way forward). They cried
for the first 500 miles then began to relax. One of them sat
in my lap for most of the ride. If you have a pet carrier, leave
it open in your house with toys or treats in it for a few days before
you leave. Put it at the passenger footwell in the truck, that way
they'll have a familiar place to go.

I moved from Texas to California with one cat. I put a litter box in the front floor board of my pickup, and I kept her in a carrier with a seatbelt around it in the front seat. I would stop and let her out of the carrier sometimes, to see if she wanted food or water or the litter box, but I don't think she hardly wanted any of that stuff on the drive.

I stopped at a motel for one night and kept her in the room with me. I think that might have been the only time she ate/drank and used the litter box.

I did give her a sedative on the first day, but I'm not sure if it helped or just made her more freaked out. She meowed loudly for pretty much the entire time that we were driving - about 24 hours total. By the end, I was near psychotic and meowing loudly in harmony with her.

Good luck! :ph34r:

By the end, I was near psychotic and meowing loudly in harmony with her.

OMG OMG OMG...that was so funny! Coffee all over my desk at work! :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

She meowed loudly for pretty much the entire time that we were driving - about 24 hours total.

Good god! Maybe I better rethink that sedative idea!

Thanks for all the other advice. Hopefully, I'll come up with a plan.

I've been doing some reading on this and found some mentions of pheromone collars and also sprays. They are supposed to be stress relievers. I haven't tried them yet since I'm still reading up on them, but they might do some good. I might find out next week when we bring our cats to Fitzgerald with us.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Try a version of this.;)

Ok that there was funny!
I could hear the cat....
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Never a good idea to have an animal on the loose in a vehicle if they're not used to it and likely to get distressed. If they freak out they can go any where and they are not transparent. I'm not being funny, I have seen a driver trying to get a scared cat off his head, while peering past a swishing tail at oncoming traffic!

OK, it was funny after the event, but not at the time:D

Anne

If you do let them run lose make sure they have a harness on with a leash attached to something in the car. They might take off running if you open the door when you get to a gas station. It also provides extra security for you and them if you are in a car accident. Just Think how horrible it would be to lose your cat in the middle of no ware.

ship them.:P

Bad idea. They won't tolerate the shipping label being stuck to their fur. :P

Ya gotta tape 'em up first... ya know... to avoid shifting during transport.:D

or this sometimes works... http://www.addictinggames.com/funny-games/kittencannon.jsp
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I also moved from Texas to Calif with a cat and kept him in a carrier and with sedatives. When he would start meowing I'd put a leash on him and go to a rest stop and let him out to stretch, eat and go potty. Popped another pill in him and we were off again. No real issues and I would highly recommend the sedative.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Cat Valium, or run the risk of wanting to hurl the cats out the window.
1200miles with a cat and when the valium (low strength) wears off you will know about it :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I recommend saran wrap and a cooler with ice, that way they're fresh when you get there HERE.

:P

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

She meowed loudly for pretty much the entire time that we were driving - about 24 hours total. By the end, I was near psychotic and meowing loudly in harmony with her.

Having had cats nearly my entire life, it depends on the cat. If you take the cat on drives frequently, even short ones before taking it on a long one, it'll usually go smoother.

I don't think I have ever had a problem with mine making a racket.... oh wait... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I recommend saran wrap and a cooler with ice, that way they're fresh when you get there HERE.

I have a better idea. Why don't you fly up here and and drive down with me so they can drive you crazy too. You got nothing else to do!:P

Thanks skymama! I'm definitely looking into one of those collars. I had never heard of them before.

Thanks everybody else for the advice. To reply to a few people: the cats will not be out of their carriers when the truck is in motion.