wmw999

Left-handed or right-handed?

In a discussion with a very long-term skydiving instructor last night, he mentioned that he thought a disproportionate number of skydiving students appeared to have been left-handed. Since everyone at the table was a skydiver, and 50% of them were left-handed, we figured it was time for a highly scientific poll on dz.com :)
I'm sorry, but the Boobies option will skew the validity of the results :), so feel free to comment in the thread.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Didn't think about that, and in the tradition of excellent survey-building, therefore I'll just ignore it :ph34r:. As far as the self-reporting bias, well, can't do much about that in this format, and I don't think I'll be able to convince the DZ to add that as a question on the release.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you put only two options you could have opted for the two that would bring a proper balance.

Lefty: the leftys would vote to make their voice heard.

Boobies: the righty wouldn't feel so silly about posting to the only other option, since they think it's silly to vote due to the majority of ppl being righty's.

But, I am ambidextrous when I play with boobies. Then, again, some may get confused by those options, as well.
My photos

My Videos

Interesting question. I write with my left hand but am right hand dominant in everything else. I've always wondered how much of that is attributed to growing up in a right hand dominant society. (ie. learning how to use scissors in kindergarten, throwing a ball, pulling the pc, ect) Any other leftys have an opinion?

Interesting question. I write with my left hand but am right hand dominant in everything else. I've always wondered how much of that is attributed to growing up in a right hand dominant society. (ie. learning how to use scissors in kindergarten, throwing a ball, pulling the pc, ect) Any other leftys have an opinion?

Yep, my brother is left-handed but plays guitar right-handed. Probably because he learned with the only guitars available to him at the time.
My parents both right-handed but among us 6 siblings 3 are left-handed and 3 are right-handed.

Though I write right handed I am actually somewhat ambidextrous as there are quite a few things I do left handed or both hands...

This may have something to do with the fact my father was left handed and I learned a bunch of stuff from him? Dunno. Kind of cool though.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

In a discussion with a very long-term skydiving instructor last night, he mentioned that he thought a disproportionate number of skydiving students appeared to have been left-handed. Since everyone at the table was a skydiver, and 50% of them were left-handed, we figured it was time for a highly scientific poll on dz.com :)
I'm sorry, but the Boobies option will skew the validity of the results :), so feel free to comment in the thread.

Wendy P.

On dizzy.com we have loads of ex and wannabee jumpers.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm a lefty and Normiss says I look awkward every time I work in the Kitchen. I can't use his manual can-opener to save my life. I'd starve if I had to depend on that thing!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ex jumpers would definitely count in this case, and wannabe's have at least some likelihood of showing up in an FJC. Since FJCs were his metric in the past, I figured that'd do for me.

I'm right handed for most stuff, but left eye dominant.

Wendy P.

left handed, do use a scissor with right, all else left. ups, someone mentioned shooting, do that right handed too, but that's coz my eyesight on the left sucks donkey balls..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I write, golf and throw a ball left handed but like many have learned to do some things right handed.

Throwing a PC was just a matter of learning one way. There was no option so I never questioned it. Much like when I learned to play the trumpet. There wasn't an option.

Most left handed people are almost ambidextrous due to the fact they grow up in a right hand world. I shot trap for over 20 years, shot left handed but have a dominate right eye.

Sparky

Im also left hand right eye dominant, and i and a completle crap shot with a rifle:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:.

I'm also not even close to ambidextrous. the ONLY thing I do "right handed" is use a knife and fork the way it laid out on the table, fork on the left.
My right arm is there for balance and symmetry:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yep, my brother is left-handed but plays guitar right-handed. Probably because he learned with the only guitars available to him at the time.

Yep, I do the same thing. When I went to get my first guitar, they told me (and my mother who was paying) the even though I "air guitared" as a lefty, she should buy a right handed guitar. The reasoning: because left handed guitars are hard to come by and usually more expensive.
Now, If I try to play lefty I get nose-bleeds. (not really, Its just REALLY DIFFICULT to even think of how to play that way)
My photos

My Videos

All right, one third of the people here say they are left-handed. However, in society in general, only 10% of people are left-handed.

So, what does this mean? That left-handed people crave high risk sports more than right-handed people? And if so, why?

All right, one third of the people here say they are left-handed. However, in society in general, only 10% of people are left-handed.

So, what does this mean? That left-handed people crave high risk sports more than right-handed people? And if so, why?

In the field of education that i work in, (children at risk) the majority of people who i have encountered that do my type of job are left handed.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?