TiaDanger

One free day in Seattle..what to do?

Going to Seattle this week and we have one free day and want to make it count...other than the Pike Place Market, what should we do? Any awesome hole in the wall restaurants downtown we should hit? Space Needle: go or no go?
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Going to Seattle next week and we have one free day and want to make it count...other than the Pike Place Market, what should we do? Any awesome hole in the wall restaurants downtown we should hit? Space Needle: go or no go?

Ivars restaurant on the waterfront for lunch.. then hike a couple blocks north to the Seattle Aquarium... Pass on the Needle for food.. spendy and not worth the money although the view while you rotate 360 degrees during an hour... is not so bad.

Bring a raincoat http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Seattle+WA+USWA0395

I was always pretty "meh" on Ivar's. My favorite hole in the wall kinda near downtown is Two Bells Tavern at 4th Avenue & Bell Street. Great burgers. B| The Pink Door is a neat little place right at the market.

Go up to Kerry Park (Highland Drive @ Queen Anne Avenue - you'll get a fantastic view of the city for free. The Needle's fun, but as Amazon said, skip the food. If you do go, just go to the observation deck. But if the weather's iffy, probably not worth the cost.

The Olympic Sculpture Garden (run by Seattle Art Museum) is pretty cool outdoor fun. It's touristy but the Underground Tour down in Pioneer Square is actually really fun and you learn some Seattle history in the process.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was just going with "FRESH" holibutt season...Ivars does manage to get some of the best fish;) and the day spent on the waterfront without being out in the rain too much... its the first week of A P R I L.... in a VERY cool and wet year... I only have 5 daffodils blooming at the end of freaking March fer chrissake:S

Go visit with Amazon and the Mitchells.
Time well spent:)

That's what I'm talking about...for real.

Valinda's not gonna be too ambulatory this weekend (just had some hip surgery) but I bet we'll have something tasty for dinner. B|

For the tourist, I like to walk up from Pike's Place Market to Westlake Mall, where you can catch the monorail to Seattle Center, home of the Space Needle. It's fun to ride the monorail and it's cool to see the Space Needle, even if only from the bottom. You can then go catch an IMAX movie over at the Pacific Science Center or just wander around the grounds people watching. Sometimes, in the summer, there's live music out on the lawn. :)
Edited to add: At the Farmers' Market you'll find Pikes Place Brewery, a good place to drop in for a local pint. You can also see the world famous Gum Wall down in Post Alley behind the market.

Go visit with Amazon and the Mitchells.
Time well spent:)

That's what I'm talking about...for real.

Valinda's not gonna be too ambulatory this weekend (just had some hip surgery) but I bet we'll have something tasty for dinner. B|

I might be persueded to dig a bit more wild chinook or coho out of the freezer..I have a "bit" left;)

If anybody is free (Amazon, Mitchells, whoever else) we would be up for getting together and meeting you guys if you're available:)
Thanks for the advice, we will have to visit some of the mentioned destinations.

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Hey all, What's the name of that Irish pub & restaurant downtown?
The one that has the authentic Irish type wooden booths, low ceiling and good Irish food?

Tell V to get well for me, please.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

the ferry ride to Bremerton and back is cheap and a great way to see Puget Sound, years ago it was like $3

I was thinking te same thing. Seattle sky line, Mt Rainer. New sports complex's, Olympic Mtn range, fresh sat sea air.

Wear warm clothe's even if the suns out it cold. Besides the scenery you get to listen to the tourists complain about how cold it is standing on the deck in their shorts, and T-shirts, and you get to watch the sea gulls flocking just feet overhead due to the wind currents, and the tourists feeding them.

Check the net for $ and sailing time.

Or the trip might be on Utube.:D
One Jump Wonder

Hey Tia

I didn't know about this when I went in Feb, but having heard about it now, it sounds pretty cool
http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Anyone been?

See Post #5. ;):P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Awesome...thanks for all the recommendations, I have them written down in my planner:)

Is it to late for recommendations? I always like to visit Port Townsend where they filmed "An Officer and a Gentleman".

I like to lay down on the battlements and have my wife spray a hose in my face while I cry "I have no where else to go!"

Either that or we go to the blimp hanger and I have her kick me in the nuts.....:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Thanks guys...leave it to me to have to throw it out there, you slackers.
:P

"One free day in Seattle..what to do?"
Find the fastest way out!

OK, OK....I know.

Truth is, I've never been there but I'm getting good stuff for when I do get there. I promise I won't occupy any place for longer than whatever it takes to enjoy whatever is being offered.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

OK, OK....I know.

Truth is, I've never been there but I'm getting good stuff for when I do get there. I promise I won't occupy any place for longer than whatever it takes to enjoy whatever is being offered.

Please dont come.... we already have way too damn many hippies in Seattle.. the place is lousy with them:S

:ph34r:

OK, OK....I know.

Please dont come.... we already have way too damn many hippies in Seattle.. the place is lousy with them:S

:ph34r:

Isn't Seattle where the grunge rock genre was born?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban