Namowal

Skydiver Food (cheap eats)

Eggs. Ounce for ounce they're one of the cheapest protein sources out there.

Edited to add: beans. If you buy them dry, and soak them overnight before cooking, they're super-duper-cheap.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

rice and pasta are cheap. if you do whole grain, they can be healthy too.

also for your ramen ;) http://www.budget101.com/frugal/ramen-noodle-recipes-1548/

I also regularly recommend "the poor man's diet". You basically don't go grocery shopping for several weeks. You end up eating all of those foods you have in your pantry for no apparent reason that never go bad (like cans of soup). You don't spend money on groceries, you clean out your pantry, and generally you loose a little weight cause you have nothing to mindlessly snack on & only eat when you really need to. :P

Potatoes.

My dad grew up poor and had about fifteen different ways to combine cheap ground beef and potatoes to make a good meal.

And when I was in college a baked potato with bacon and cheese was dinner for most of one year. Lunch was those two for a dollar apple pies from McDonald's.

I also used to make large batches of soup or stew and just eat them for the entire week (cheap meat, potatoes, carrots, onions).

ah, how to eat cheaply, a subject near and dear to me. Eggs are great, so are beans and potatoes. I think one of the real keys starts with where you shop. Check the grocery ads. See who has the best prices on your basic staples each week. When you go to the store, check the prices of what you're buying. There's often 6-7 varieties of apples, from $.69 to $2.99 per pound. Get the cheap ones, of course. Same with oranges, pears, loaves of bread bottles of ketchup. I save tons of $$$ just by that little thing.

When it comes to meat, chicken can be the cheapest. I just barbecued a pair of fryers $.79/pound. Pork chops and roasts are running close to $2/pound, not bad. Depending on where you shop, beef is a little spender, but I find okay steaks around $3/pound.

Stay out of restaurants. Have friends over for a beer instead overpriced bars. I can eat like a king for a week on one night's bar tab. COok your own food and you'll be healthier and wealthier.;)

Ah, yes. I should have qualified the happy hour comment with when you are unable to cook.

@ Namowal, Whole chicken is usually much cheaper than parts.

Invest in a slow-cooker. That way you can take advantage of those cheaper cuts of meat (and beans mon-thurs :P). It's convenient, too. Plop the ingredients in before work, and dinner is waiting for you when you get home.

This may seem odd, but when you go to the supermarket, avoid the aisles in the middle and shop around the edges. Two reasons: 1. the healthier food is there (produce, meats, dairy) and the less healthy ( processed/junk) foods are in the aisles. This is a generalization. 2. The sale items will all be displayed around the edges. All the loss leaders that are in the store flyer will be at the aisle ends or in meat/dairy cases.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

You can save a lot of money by buying stuff that on sale only. Buy a few of the items that are on sale if you'll eat them again in the future (stuff that won't spoil).

Wait for the other items you want to be on sale, then buy a few of them. Mostly everything at the food store will go on sale sometime, just wait it out. Make a couple trips a week to see (unless you live super far from groceries and waste more gas than you save).

Clip coupons, cook for yourself as already mentioned. Also, eat everything you buy. Leftovers for lunch the next day and such. Include whole grains and fibery food, they'll fill you up and make you feel full faster than sugary and fatty foods (less food you'll want to eat, plus healthier).

You can eat healthy and well if you shop right.

Eggs as mentioned are a good source of protein and chalk full of vitamins. It's like a multivitamin. Soft or hard boil those suckers.

My suggestion is not going to be a popular one.

DONT put your skydiving above your nutrition. Buy good food and keep healthy. Our sport has a tendency to get you hurt especially in your early years.
A good healthy diet will go along way to ameliorating some injuries and helping recover from others.
Moreover, a healthy body helps with a sharp mind and clear thinking. 2 more things that are under rated in our sport.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And you probably don't need nearly as much meat as you think you do. That cigarette-pack-sized piece that's recommended is smaller than a quarter-pounder, as an example.

Buy a few herbs and spices in bulk (they're really cheap), and use them to perk up nutritious food. Squeak is right tha you don't want to just eat whatever is cheapest.

Kroger often has almost-expired meat for sale; most grocery stores have almost-expired foods in lots of places. Also, you can make really, really good bread inexpensively. Google NY Times no-knead bread, (yeah, no kneading) and enjoy.

If you eat food that you enjoy, you can take longer eating it, and fill up sooner on highe-quality foods.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wow, thanks for all the responses!
I also appreciate the suggestions to keep health and nutrition in mind.

So Jen,
There's been some nice weather, lately. Any news? Is the duck gonna have an A stamped on its belly in the next blog installment?

Well, I was planning to give it a go last Saturday but a family member was having big health problems [:/]so I chose to postpone.
Maybe next Saturday will be "A" day.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Namowal
Poor man's pizza: Go to a day old bread store and get the cheap cheap cheap white bread. Put some oil on a old dented aluminum pie pan, or cookie sheet or whatever, and then (this actually works) take this white bread and "kinda" wet it with water and lay the slices on, squash it on the pan with whatever. Probaly an old beer bottle or even your fingers. Buy some cheapass spaghetti sauce, big jar, and pour some on. Get a can of Spam, (yes, Spam) and put small amounts on the sauce. If you use a lot of Spam, it isn't cheap anymore. Of course load it on with wierdo italian spices if you have any, and cheese, if you have any. Well that's it. It tastes like salty cardboard, but you can imagine you are eating pizza for a change from peanut butter. You can make several pizzas with one big jar of cheap sauce and the white bread, at a day old outlet is about 45 cents to 75 cents, sometimes lower. This fake pizza has no nutritional value and is mostly a diversion for your mind, and it's fun to squash the white bread into "dough".