ryoder

Congrats to Skydiving Duck!

I don't know, but now you've got "Sylvia's Mother" earworming me. Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall... :S;)

and the operator said 40c more for the next 3 minutes PLEEEASSSEEE Mrs Avery I just wanna talk to her.......

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't know, but now you've got "Sylvia's Mother" earworming me. Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall... :S;)

and the operator said 40c more for the next 3 minutes PLEEEASSSEEE Mrs Avery I just wanna talk to her.......

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::P

True story:
Several years ago I heard a reference to "Sylvia's Mother" as one of those unexplainable former hits that even the oldies stations don't play. I thought, "Sylvia's Mother?" I don't remember that song..." so I googled it, found it, and had a listen. It was like finding a long lost moldy sandwich in the fridge. "Oh yeah... ...that song. :o:D"
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

April issue: More duck

Ohh, ohh!!!

Did she go on to make an AFF jump?!?!?

Did she? Did she?

They left it as such a cilffhanger in the last episode, I can't wait to find out what happens!!

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Two weeks ago I went to the DZ here in Turkey. I took Feb & March to share, since no one here gets Parachutist. Everyone loved Duck! Lucky for me, many of the jumpers speak excellent English, but were still concerned before reading it that they might not "get it." Of course, that didn't matter! Skydiving Duck speaks to all skydivers. Even the 18-mo-old little girl (who speaks better Turkish than I do) was mesmerized by it. :)
I was happy to see April already waiting for me when I got back the following week. Can't wait to share.

Way to go, Namowal! B|

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Thanks, Lisa & Squeak.
Ironically, not long after I was "stamped" another instructor took me aside and said I didn't deserve it-
-after 25 jumps, why didn't I know how and were to land?:$

( I was further than usual from the landing area when the canopy opened. I chose to land off when it looked like I wouldn't make it back to the correct area safely. )

But other instructors were okay with my choice. :$

Thanks, Lisa & Squeak.
Ironically, not long after I was "stamped" another instructor took me aside and said I didn't deserve it-

( I was further than usual from the landing area when the canopy opened. I chose to land off when it looked like I wouldn't make it back to the correct area safely. )

Wow. Sounds like a jackass move. The instructor had two choices there (well, three, the other being to just STFU): 1) be obnoxious and tell you that you don't deserve a license or 2) take the opportunity to debrief your landing choice and turn it into a teaching moment. Sorry that person made a poor choice.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks, Lisa & Squeak.

He obviously didn't realize he was speaking to The Duck.
What fun would the cartoons be if you never made a mistake?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Congrats to your license! Looking forward to the respective Duck episode :)
That instructor either should have told you what he thought you should have doe or he should have remained silent.

To me, it's better someone looks for a safe landing area in time rather than to "try to get home by all means" and then crash.

Just a thought/suggestion: If ya hang further from the landing area and it's a classic jump run (into the wind), apply half brakes. Your speed will decrease but the canopy will sink much less and because the wind pushes you you are able to travel a larger distance. I've told this quite a number of students already and some of them forgot it and were rather surprised that I made it home (and "outflew" them) under a Crossfire 129. B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

n Reply To
Thanks, Lisa & Squeak.
-after 25 jumps, why didn't I know how and were to land?Blush

But other instructors were okay with my choice. Blush

Wow. Sounds like a jackass move. The instructor had two choices there (well, three, the other being to just STFU): 1) be obnoxious and tell you that you don't deserve a license or 2) take the opportunity to debrief your landing choice and turn it into a teaching moment. Sorry that person made a poor choice.

Agreed. 100%.

"Gethomeitis" has killed and injured quite a few skydivers over the years, and quite a lot of pilots.

As long as you land safely, where you land is irrelevant....

Maybe the Jackass will appear in a cartoon sometime soon. You'll come across lots of cartoon material on the DZ if you stick with it.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Another congrats!! Whoohooo You did it! B|
Attachments: Jennifer.jpg (79.9 KB)

That photo has TWO people in it - which one is the duck girl?

The one with the big A stamped on her head. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The one with the big A stamped on her head. :)

Thank you. I wasn't sure what that smudge was. I'm glad it's not a scarlet letter.

Jennifer is on the right, her instructor on the left.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

He obviously didn't realize he was speaking to The Duck.

Or maybe he doesn't like ducks in general?;)

Just a thought/suggestion: If ya hang further from the landing area and it's a classic jump run (into the wind), apply half brakes. Your speed will decrease but the canopy will sink much less and because the wind pushes you you are able to travel a larger distance.

Oh, I did the half breaks trick alright. B|I would have landed further off without it.

Wow. Sounds like a jackass move.

Hey, I got my instructor's rating just so I could BE a jerk. You mean that's not the right way to deal with people???:S

Don't give me any ideas!:P

So now that you have your A license (congratulations) what's your plans? Belly flying, free flying, etc? Got any gear purchases in mind?

Probably belly flying and learning more about controlling the canopy.
As for the gear- that's overwhelming! So many choices. :oB|

Got any camera purchases in mind?

Check with me after a few hundred jumps. :)

"Gethomeitis" has killed and injured quite a few skydivers over the years, and quite a lot of pilots.

As long as you land safely, where you land is irrelevant....

That's what I was thinking. To me it seemed safer to pick an off spot than to cross the runways (at my altitude) and possibly get in other people's way. It was all planned. It wasn't like I was sightseeing up there.

Maybe the [instructor] will appear in a cartoon sometime soon.

Nah. That would be mean. Besides, this person knows a lot about skydiving and has given me good advice in the past. I'd be better off on their good side.B|

Hey if you put me in the cartoon can I just be an egg with legs? Maybe just one wing? Or an eye patch? Or a crown?

But seriously though, congrats on the A! That is awesome!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Finally :P. Congratulations, Jenn....er, I mean Duck. Quack_Quack Attack ;).

"Ironically, not long after I was "stamped" another instructor took me aside and said I didn't deserve it-
-after 25 jumps, why didn't I know how and where to land?"

Dat right dare B a dicky... Tell 'im to quack-off.