ryoder

Congrats to Skydiving Duck!

Congrats to Skydiving Duck!

So are you going to keep updating your thread to give us loyal readers here at DZ.com first read?

I mean, you already have us sitting around waiting for the next installment like a bunch of junkies waiting for our fix...:P

Yes. I'm still working on cartoons for the blog version. I'm running a bit behind because I'm busier than usual at work this month- overtime at work plus trying to fit skydives in when I get a day off so I don't get rusty.

Thanks to everyone for their enthusiasm and kind words. I really appreciate it!
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

FIRST: Congrats to Namo! I am so proud of ya :)
SECOND: Waaah! And I can't get my hands on it! >:( Anyone can do some copyright infringement and, erm... "provide" the two pages? :ph34r::)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

SECOND: Waaah! And I can't get my hands on it! >:( Anyone can do some copyright infringement and, erm... "provide" the two pages? :ph34r::)

All the material in "Parachutist" is from this page:
http://tailotherat.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Thanks, Abedy, NWFlyer, The_Don, nolan358, JohnRich, shah269, MikeJD, and airathanas!

I still haven't got my copy of the March issue, but I've seen a mock up of the layout and it's more or less based on the two posts I did about my second tandem (with a few changes).
Part of me feels a little guilty for showing up in the magazine. So many of the articles are about experienced and talented people- some of them setting records and winning competitions, and I show up with "Look! I did a tandem!" I feel like a party crasher.:P:$
My hope is that some readers will react with "Ha! That was me back when I started out!"

So many of the articles are about experienced and talented people- some of them setting records and winning competitions, and I show up with "Look! I did a tandem!" I feel like a party crasher.:P:$
My hope is that some readers will react with "Ha! That was me back when I started out!"

Nah, I think this is exactly the type of stuff that Parachutist should include. Parachutist is for all skydivers, not just the world champion badasses. I personally like the fact that they include content that features and appeals to skydivers of all experience levels. Part of the goal of the magazine should be to retain newer jumpers, and while all the talk about competition and records can be aspirational and exciting for a new jumper, it can also seem very far off for someone who's just working on getting their A or B license and for whom two or three points on a four way is a really big deal. Your drawings fit right in there as something that all jumpers, but particularly the newer ones, can relate to. It also fit nicely with the article later in the magazine on events/opportunities for newer jumpers. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Congrats!! I have to say you have one hell of a talent in that you can eloquently show the emotions involved in skydiving. I have to say it brings me back to when I first started skydiving!!

Great work, keep it up!!! :ph34r:

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Once she gets more experience, I'm looking forward to:
"Skydiving Duck - Grinding the Quack":D

Fixed it for you... :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

You're not a party crasher. A skydiving magazine must also contain pages/articles that give noobs an inspiration. Apart from that, your cartoons are so nicely done, everyone likes them. We had a sort of cartoon series here many years ago, but they weren't as good as yours. So I think things might even turn into a regular cartoon in "Parrotshootist"? B|
Again: Nobody wants to read again and again about skygods, records and cutting-edge technology. There ought to be a balance you your cartoons and your experience (especially the way you express your feelings etc) add salt to this mix! B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Once she gets more experience, I'm looking forward to:
"Skydiving Duck - Grinding the Crack":D

Check back with me in another 5 jumps or so.:P

"Skydiving Duck - Grinding the Quack"Laugh

Good one!

You're not a party crasher. A skydiving magazine must also contain pages/articles that give noobs an inspiration. Apart from that, your cartoons are so nicely done, everyone likes them....

Aw, shucks. :$ Thanks!

Again: Nobody wants to read again and again about skygods, records and cutting-edge technology. There ought to be a balance you your cartoons and your experience (especially the way you express your feelings etc) add salt to this mix

Good point. I know I like to read about the noobs and inbetweeners as well as the big shots.

Always need more people in our sport! :)

I'm sure there's lots of potential skydivers out there who are missing out because they think it's strictly a sport for crazy/adrenaline-junkie/show off/daredevil types. Not so! I'm the complete opposite. I'm one of the most reserved and cautious* people I know. I have the fear threshold of Scooby Doo. Yet I ended up giving it a try and, 25 or so jumps later, think it's pretty amazing. Maybe some other non skydivers will see my early cartoons and think, "Well, if the duck can do it, maybe I could..."

*Actually the "cautious" detail may come in handy, when it comes to checking equipment, altitude etc... I realize that this doesn't make me bulletproof, but it may come in handy.

p.s. I'm still waiting for my March issue. How many of you have yours?

Mine arrived on the 27th (northern CA).

BTW, be sure to ask for extra copies so you can send them to family/friends. They're usually quite happy to provide extras for contributorsB|.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

...it's more or less based on the two posts I did about my second tandem (with a few changes).

They cut the backflip references! Space restrictions or just the fact that backflips are not an "approved" tandem exit? Either way it is too bad because that was the reason you had such fear on the ride up, so the Parachutist story does not quite read as well as the online version. Was it annoying to have to cut that out?

I will be very late on the bandwagon and say I loved the whole series, I did my first jumps almost 10 years ago and seeing your comics made it feel like yesterday. Jump #5 I drove 45min to the DZ, got out, walked around the packing area, got back in the car and drove back home, the next weekend I went back and jumped. I can look back and smile on that fear now, and your cartoons brought that smile to my face.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

They cut the backflip references! Space restrictions or just the fact that backflips are not an "approved" tandem exit?

The latter.

Was it annoying to have to cut that out?

Not really. I didn't mind doing a by-the-rules version of the story, especially since I still probably would have been scared on the way up (backflip or not). So much of my AFF struggle was being scared silly, so it's still a foreshadowing of jumps to come.B|

I will be very late on the bandwagon and say I loved the whole series, I did my first jumps almost 10 years ago and seeing your comics made it feel like yesterday.

Thanks. I actually have more cartoons pending, but I've been working a lot of overtime and haven't been able to crank them out as quickly as I'd like.

Jump #5 I drove 45min to the DZ, got out, walked around the packing area, got back in the car and drove back home, the next weekend I went back and jumped.

I totally understand this! :)

I can look back and smile on that fear now, and your cartoons brought that smile to my face.

Thanks for telling me!

Mine arrived on the 27th (northern CA).

BTW, be sure to ask for extra copies so you can send them to family/friends. They're usually quite happy to provide extras for contributorsB|.

Wanna buy five copies for her mother...:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Nah, I think this is exactly the type of stuff that Parachutist should include. Parachutist is for all skydivers, not just the world champion badasses.

Funny enough...this was exactly the same suggestion that Dean O'Flaherty offered in the "profile" section this month. I, too, concur. More about the U.S. skydiving community as a whole and not just the top bubbas.

Cool Beans, Jen B|!! Are they going to make an ongoing series out of it?

I hope so! :)

More about the U.S. skydiving community as a whole and not just the top bubbas.

The way I see it (noob opinion here), if you jump out of a plane, you're interesting and I want to read about you. B|

Congrats! I was so excited to get my issue in the mail and see your awesome work in print! I truly hope you're a regular contributor to the mag.

Thanks!

Trivia question: Did Dr. Hook ever get their picture on the cover?

B|
I don't know, but now you've got "Sylvia's Mother" earworming me. Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall... :S;)