npgraphicdesign

My rig is down to 50% functionality.

Container (Vector II) is about to go out of date, as it's 22 years old and one rigger already said he isn't comfortable repacking it and signing off on it.

Reserve (Raven II) is getting near the end of its life.

At least the main canopy and Cypres are still good!!! :S

Looks like I need to start looking for more freelance work or sell my body to science. Hell, if virgin-burner can get a job as a janitor, I should be able to get a job anywhere, right? :P:D:D:D

You could sell blood to a blood bank (if you don't have any recent tattoos or other conditions), or you could sell your jizz to a sperm bank. Don't know how that works anyhow.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I recently replaced my Vector2 with a used Vector3 for $899. It is a few years newer, and has much better riser/bridle protection, the prime reason I upgraded after my CSR 200 experience.

I got a PD143R for $550 to replace a Raven Micro 150, after having demo jumped and liked the PD Reserve.

However, I am going to slowly begin buying new components. Probably an Icon Fire container is my next container because it already matches my jumpsuit perfectly. And I'm ordering a custom Logo canopy, as well.

Container (Vector II) is about to go out of date, as it's 22 years old and one rigger already said he isn't comfortable repacking it and signing off on it.

I didn't know either rigs or reserves timed out. I know some manufacturers want reserves back for an inspection after a certain # of pack jobs.

AFAIK, there's no life limit on either of those components.

The reserve is probably getting to the 'well used' part of its life though, I'd expect it has a few weak spots from packing. The container? Well... I've seen a Vector around here from 1989 that was still in pretty good shape, so I guess it depends where its been and who's owned it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Nikki, you need to get your self sorted with a new rig as a tax write off. put your company name on the sides and use it for "marketing"
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You could sell blood to a blood bank

Is there still places to do that in the US? I thought there was some rule that donors can't be compensated with money. A place I used to go to would give you 2 movie tickets for donating, which was pretty nice.

Yes, you can still sell plasma, at least.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Probably should ask a rigger, but I know on PD Reserves, there are 20 checkboxes. After it's either been used or packed 20 times, they expect you to replace it. I don't know if it's required or not, according to the PD literature.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Probably should ask a rigger, but I know on PD Reserves, there are 20 checkboxes. After it's either been used or packed 20 times, they expect you to replace it. I don't know if it's required or not, according to the PD literature.

That would apply, if he had a PD-R. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Container (Vector II) is about to go out of date, as it's 22 years old

And your point is?

Between when I first dated my wife in 2003 and married her in 2005 some of the grey-hairs at our drop zone broke out a 1967 Para-Commander in a conventional rig with a belly reserve. I jumped it. It worked fine. It was 36-38 years old at the time.

Forward drive didn't even match my classic accuracy setup, but it probably did the job as well as it did when new nearly 40 years prior.

I'd jump it if I didn't weigh much over 200 pounds and it passed the thumb test. More paranoid people might want an actual pull test. Come to think of it my 1980 something accuracy setup has a Raven 3 that's at least as old as yours. It passes the thumb test and I do jump with it in the reserve container. My favorite BASE canopy has over 75 pack jobs and I do use it as a reserve.

Some countries have a life limit on reserves, but the USA doesn't. That said if a rigged is unhappy with gear, there is no way I'm jumping it.

With the container I guess it could always be sent to the factory for an overhaul.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

If your rigger is dogging your gear simply because of age, get a new rigger, and tell your old one that you are retiring their services for no good reason but just because you think they are too old to get the job done right.

And as a side note PDRs have either 39 or 40 checkboxes depending on the age, not 20 as someone suggested.

Your knowledge is completely flawed on all counts.
PDR is supposed to GO BACK FOR A RECERTIFICATION after either 25 rides or 40 repacks, whichever comes first. As you can imagine that is accomplished with more than 20 checkboxes (39 or 40 depending on when it was made)

If your rigger is dogging your gear simply because of age, get a new rigger,

Yes. But 20 year old gear can get to a point where lots of wear is happening on multiple parts of the rig. This may be the case here too.

Absolutely. And thats why i stipulate that it should NOT be a matter of age only - i.e. it should be a functional problem(s) that retire gear.

I have an almost new Vector2 made in 94 laying here, and i dont think it will be unairworthy in 2 years...

you looking for yet another reason to not jump!?

BTW, just got my first paycheck, i have probably made more in three weeks than you will in two months; being a janitor isnt so bad after all! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda