timbarrett

UK rigger seals?

just moved to UK and had a repack done. I am used to seeing the lead seals used in the US and was surprised not to see one on my newly repacked reserve pin. Is the seal just a US thing and what is the common practice outside US?
I will, of course, ask my rigger here but can't get thru right now so just indulging in a healthy dose of paranoia....
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

Most nations REQUIRE rigger seals on reserves.
Brits are the "odd men out."
Apparently - a long time ago - a silly British rigger sealed a reserve with nylon E-Thread (minimum 8.5 pound) instead of wimpy, cotton seal thread (max 3.5 pound) and the owner experienced a hard pull.

When I lived in England from 1995-1999, there was an advanced packer certificate. Advanced Packers were not riggers, and only riggers had seal presses. You might want to know if the person who packed your rig was an advanced packer or a rigger.

This afaik, is not the case.

The advanced packer and rigger at my DZ would be happy to seal it, but they dont do it unless asked.

MY rigger said she doesnt see the point in sealing, because in the event of getting your reserve out, and theres a problem, its most likely you'll lose the seal and then be unable to prove it was sealed in the first place.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

MY rigger said she doesnt see the point in sealing, because in the event of getting your reserve out, and theres a problem, its most likely you'll lose the seal and then be unable to prove it was sealed in the first place.

the point of the seal is not to prove anything after a cut away but something to look at before you put your gear on to know that nothing has happened to the reserve since you last jumped your gear

When I lived in England from 1995-1999, there was an advanced packer certificate. Advanced Packers were not riggers, and only riggers had seal presses. You might want to know if the person who packed your rig was an advanced packer or a rigger.

This afaik, is not the case.

The advanced packer and rigger at my DZ would be happy to seal it, but they dont do it unless asked.

I haven't been to the UK in a couple of years but remember that (by law/direction) the seal is NOT connected to the ripcord (to add additional pull force) therefore, the seal would not be lost during the cutaway. As I recall, this was a rule made after a rig was improperly "sealed" w/E thread rather than "Sealing Thread." Correct me if I am wrong....

Tim T.

Does'nt that method introduce the possibility of a rigger tacking the freebag to the outside flap?

The sealing thread is tacked onto the outside layer of fabric next to the pin grommet which is set in stiffner plate. The rigger doesn't tack through the plate (pretty hard to do with small hand needle) so the tacking does't go anywhere near the reserve, freebag or other flaps.

years ago(1978) when i worked at para flite we had some people from the U.K. that we were training .i believe they were with the Red Devils or the R.A.F.,anyway, i was told that the reason they dont use seals over there is because years ago a lead seal came off a rig and found its way into the channels in the floor where the control cables go to an aircraft"s tail.the seal had weged itself in such a way that the cables jammed.(hence the control surfaces could not be moved)