Fearjoburg

Funny petrol picture

I was about to comment saying "oh God, not more Americans complaining of their petrol price which is among the lowest in the world!"

But yeah, it's rough... In S.A we pay what is equivalent to R40 ($6) a gallon. And they think $4 a gallon is bad :o

Not to mention the fact that minimum wage in the US is about double that of S.A.

Easily takes double the knock on S.A pockets.

B|

Everything you just stated is true but unless you work and live in a big metropolis public transportation is scarce or un existant and unreliable. Suburbs are designed to use cars for everything (not a walking distance). I think thats what makes it worse than other places
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

South Africa has very very few, if any public transportation systems. Unlike London there is no safe trains outside of parts of Gauteng where the 'Gautrain' runs. And with taxi's generally being illegally on the road and the cause of majority of road accidents you probably wouldn't make it to work in one.

I live in a suburb outside Cape Town, I am lucky enough to work near to where I live but I know many people in the area who have to travel to Cape Town each day which is a 60mile round trip. So those staying 30 miles outside of their work area generally spend up to 30% of their salary on petrol to work, easily. 2000km a month to get to work at R1 per km, $280 a month on a salary of about $1000 is quite a punch.

In Gauteng this can easily be doubled for users travelling from Northern Pretoria to Johannesburg daily.

South Africa is very much like the US in that very few people actually stay in the cities and the suburbs can be quite a distance from the cities and private means of transport are a must in everyday life.

South Africa has very very few, if any public transportation systems. Unlike London there is no safe trains outside of parts of Gauteng where the 'Gautrain' runs. And with taxi's generally being illegally on the road and the cause of majority of road accidents you probably wouldn't make it to work in one.

I live in a suburb outside Cape Town, I am lucky enough to work near to where I live but I know many people in the area who have to travel to Cape Town each day which is a 60mile round trip. So those staying 30 miles outside of their work area generally spend up to 30% of their salary on petrol to work, easily. 2000km a month to get to work at R1 per km, $280 a month on a salary of about $1000 is quite a punch.

In Gauteng this can easily be doubled for users travelling from Northern Pretoria to Johannesburg daily.

South Africa is very much like the US in that very few people actually stay in the cities and the suburbs can be quite a distance from the cities and private means of transport are a must in everyday life.

Same here where I live, the city was not built with public transport in mind it would take me over an hour and a half to get busses or trains to work. when it takes 30 mins to drive. and we are paying $1.60 per litre. (over $6 per gallon). it costs me over $30.oo to fill my motorbike up, Thats freaking insane over $30 for a bike>:(>:(>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

i'm just waiting for the germans and the netherlandischians xDD lol

their cars run on liquid gold, it's cheaper than petrol:D:D:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I live in the desert, and one of my partners from work (a horse owner) was complaining about how the cost of hay (priced per bale) is going up and up.

So apparently, the cost of automobile fuel is also affecting the cost of horse-fuel!

Elvisio "at least I don't have to follow my car around with a shovel" Rodriguez

Ok, i'll bite :)

roughy 1.85 euro per litre over here...

that should convert to about US$ 9.30 per gallon

good thing we have bicycle paths stretching over roughly all the roads... my bicycles don't eat hay :)

Edit : a gallon is 3.8 L and not 3.6 L :)
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

>Suburbs are designed to use cars for everything (not a walking distance).
>I think thats what makes it worse than other places

Yep, suburban planning has been terrible for years and has essentially relied upon the assumption that everyone drives everywhere. Fortunately it's been getting better lately. Around here sidewalks, bike lanes and pedestrian-oriented commercial designs have been becoming more and more prevalent, and neighborhoods are starting to be designed with traffic calming and pedestrian safety in mind.

Fuel in Oz is about $1.49 a litre at the moment so probably around $5.60+ a gal

Here in Perth it's $159.9/litre today
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>Suburbs are designed to use cars for everything (not a walking distance).
>I think thats what makes it worse than other places

Yep, suburban planning has been terrible for years and has essentially relied upon the assumption that everyone drives everywhere. Fortunately it's been getting better lately. Around here sidewalks, bike lanes and pedestrian-oriented commercial designs have been becoming more and more prevalent, and neighborhoods are starting to be designed with traffic calming and pedestrian safety in mind.

Telecommuting would be a partial answer for the right job.B|
One Jump Wonder

Telecommuting would be a partial answer for the right job.B|

Tis what I do ..... my commute involves 1 flight of stairs and I do it my dressing-gown :-)
So I've cut down my business mileage to almost nothing.. It helps me, by not everyone can work from home.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Ok, i'll bite :)

roughy 1.85 euro per litre over here...

that should convert to about US$ 9.30 per gallon

good thing we have bicycle paths stretching over roughly all the roads... my bicycles don't eat hay :)

yesterday ARAL 98 ultimate 1,493 € per litre so 5.67 € per gallon so 7.46 $

huijuijui.... good that i don't have to pay for my fuel ;p

Actually .... 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres:P

An Imperial Gallon is defined as the volume of 10Lbs of water at some specific temperature.

A US gallon is 231 cubic inches.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome