RkyMtnHigh

Low Maintenance Pet. What should I get?

Fish are cool but are more maintenence than you have been led to believe

true sorry, didn'tmean to mislead... ya need to clean thier tnak whenit gets dirty and monirot the ph of the water..............

None of the above...

Go for a rattlesnake.. you only hve to feed them every couple weeks.. and they are not messy at all. just be careful when you take them out of thier cage...:)

Read above jeanne..I cant do it..just cant.....they freek me out..[:/]

I'm tellin ya......go for the tarantula!!!! hey're fascinating pets!

that or a scorpion. I had 2 for a while.. well then they had ~9 babies.. and then they all got eaten..

You feed them the same things as a tarantula. Crickets are really cheap

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I just looked at the pictures ... those are cool! My niece also has a Chilean Rose-haired Tarantula

She got it when she was 8 The first time she showed it to me she asked if I'd like to pick it up. When an 8 year old little girl says she'll show you how to pick up a tarantula, how can you say no.

I let it crawl in my hands and I picked it up. It was rather freaky having a huge spider in your hands. The Rose Hair's are pretty docile but still even though you know they won't hurt you, it's a huge scary looking spider.

After putting it back, I asked her to pick it up and she said..."Oh I haven't picked it up yet... Daddy has though"
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

yesterday I looked at all of these as my new low maintenance companion.

A skydiving boyfriend with his own DZ trailer.:D

:D:D:D....,.umm...we need to talk...:ph34r::ph34r::Dgotta admit myself to the ED at this time..reporting back within 48 hours..:ph34r:;)

Snakes are work if you want to do it well, they need frequent handling to stay amiable. I took care of a python for 4 years, loved him dearly and gave him lots of attention. This was in college. He died right after I left, no one really took great care of him. I've also had smaller snakes which are actually harder to take care of than the big ones.

I currently have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 rabbits, and 2 guinea pigs.

Dogs are already out of the question for you.

We left the cats alone for 9 days, had a neighbor check on them a couple times while we were on vacation. Had a feeder for them with food and water, and they are very self sufficient, plus don't give a damn if you are home or not.

The rabbits are also very easy. Cute, affectionate, easy to house train, stay in a cage most of the time, you can let them out if supervised (they will snack on electrical cords if you aren't watching them occasionally). Very easy to care for, have feeders and water bottles, they love you whether you are there or not. Just make sure you get a pet breed.

Guinea pigs are kinda cool, but require frequent handling to get used to you, they make these really cute little chirpy noises, but can't be housetrained, can't really let them out of the cage if you ever want to find them again, and messier to clean up after than rabbits.

No matter what you decide on, don't do pet stores, go to the local humane league or animal rescue. The animals are wonderful and need good homes. Every one of my pets are from humane league and I have no complaints about any of them.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I chose cat because ime they don't suffer (as much) from lack of attention as a dog or similar. But if you'll be gone more than a weekend i'd suggest no pet unless you know people who will check in on it.

-A.

All I can say is pet sitters are the bomb, come over 3 times a day while you are gone for 30 minutes at a time. Play with everyone feed them make sure they have clean water and mine will even feed my beardie.

We were gone for a week in CA and when we got home Fox (the dog) was like oh hey you're back, that is nice, guess this means I have to share the bed again. :S
Fly it like you stole it!

We left the cats alone for 9 days, had a neighbor check on them a couple times while we were on vacation. Had a feeder for them with food and water, and they are very self sufficient, plus don't give a damn if you are home or not.

Wow- my cats are very aware whether we are home or not! And happy to see us when we get home, too, whether we are gone for just the day, a long weekend or a week's vacation!

I agree they are pretty self sufficient, and not as "high maintenance" as most dogs, but they still need attention, handling and love.

Just make sure you get a pet breed.

the bigger the rabit the more "petable" it is.. the smaller ones are just like little dgs and way hyper..... i recomnd a mini lop or holand lop asa pet.. the mini lop is bigger than the holand though and not as "cute".... and the "rex" breed is very very soft... ut they need regular brushingto keep thier coat nice.... or you could get an angora (usd to have an angora lop myself) and you could always save thier wool and make a sweater out of it if you can find someone to spinn it for ya...

I'm going to go with Craddock on this. Bearded Dragons are pretty low maintenance. My brother has one and so does a neighbor of his. His neighbor's is even leash trained.

The only time Piper is low maintenance is when he is hibernating, other wise there are crickets and/or salad to prepare daily, tank cleaning weekly, luv sessions, socialization sessions and exercise sessions. Our little guy loves being out of the cage terrorizing the cat, they actually try to stare eachother down threw the cage. I will say though he is a lot easier to care for than say a chinese water dragon or some of the others.

Having a dog, cat, and beardie, I'd say go with the cat, they can take care of themselves for extended periods of time.
Fly it like you stole it!

Fish are cool but are more maintenence than you have been led to believe

true sorry, didn'tmean to mislead... ya need to clean thier tnak whenit gets dirty and monirot the ph of the water..............

I have a tank of guppies that Darwin has selected to survive with almost no attention. The ones that couldn't take it long since died out, and the survivors breed prolifically. A Plecostomus (sp?) takes care of cleaning the tank. I got the ancestors when my kid was in 1st grade. He's 26 now.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I had a New Zealand rabbit, a meat breed, nasty as hell. I had 2 albinos, kinda boring personalities. I had a silver fawn and an English Spot, both bigger bunnies and extremely sweet natured. My favorite was the Holland lop, not huge, great personality. I currently have a Chinchilla rabbit, extremely soft just like a real chinchilla. I also have a netherland dwarf, the smallest I've ever owned. She just begs to be petted any time something goes past the cage. She loves it when the cats or dogs groom her, she stretches all out, you can just about see her smile. She goes straight for my lap any chance she gets.

I've had all different sized rabbits, and don't think that size has a lot to do with it. The New Zealand was awful and probably the biggest I owned. Different breeds have different traits, but so do different bunnies. Handle them before buying so you can get a feel for how it responds to people. Be picky, you'll know the right rabbit when you meet it.

Angoras are nice but all that hair is a pain in the ass.

Consider getting male rabbits fixed, they will hump everything. Including cats, your arm, your mother in law's leg, etc. They are a lot happier once fixed. I've never had a female rabbit fixed, they seem fine.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

if you do decide to get a ferret, get at least two. they are very social, and two are ten times the fun as one. i'm up to four now and they are serious fun when we let them out for their hour or so of playtime. chasing cats, chasing dogs, chasing each other, begging for treats, non-stop entertainment. they have very distinct personalities as well. the setup we have will keep them happy and healthy for 3 days max, but it could be adapted (more water bottles mostly) to do them longer. they do produce an impressive amount of crap though, but they will go in the same place all the time.

attached, simon, garfunkel and lilly in '3weasels' and smudge (as a baby) in 'mini10'
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001