nigel99

Masters or Graduate Diploma?

I'm interested in getting the opinion of people who have done or work in industry recruiting and working with electronics engineers.

I work as a professional engineer and have my PE registration (well the UK equivalent C.Eng).

At present I have time on my hands and I'm keen to fill in some of my theoretical gaps.

Building my resume is part of the equation. Although I have 3 patents in my name and have served on committees drafting technical EU standards and laws, so it is unlikely to make a significant difference.

Basically my maths sucks and I'd like it to be stronger. The graduate diploma would allow me to focus 70% of my time doing maths at an advanced level. The remaining 30% would be doing physics.

The Msc is much more focused on project work, and at face value doesn't appear to offer as much of a learning opportunity. But not having done an Msc this may be a misinformed.

Masters and Graduate Diplomas here in OZ (also the UK i think)are not the same structure or significance as the equivalent named papers in the states.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Masters and Graduate Diplomas here in OZ (also the UK i think)are not the same structure or significance as the equivalent named papers in the states.

What do you mean? I haven't got any experience of the US system.

I'm going to go in and speak to a couple of the Uni's to see what fits my requirements best. I quite like the look of the ECU Masters by coursework program. Curtin has a good diploma though.

I'm going to go in and speak to a couple of the Uni's to see what fits my requirements best. I quite like the look of the ECU Masters by coursework program. Curtin has a good diploma though.

from a prestige POV ECU would be lower on the ladder for Engineering. UWA or Curtin would be significantly higher for enigineering
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As an Engineer with engineering graduate degrees working in the US, I would recommend an MBA.

I have found it would have been far more useful for career advancement to have done the B.Sc., work experience and then an MBA instead of an M.Sc.

As an Engineer with engineering graduate degrees working in the US, I would recommend an MBA.

I have found it would have been far more useful for career advancement to have done the B.Sc., work experience and then an MBA instead of an M.Sc.

That really depends on what growth path you want to get on.

If you want to get in management, then yes, the MBA would fit.

If you are looking for more advanced eng positions, or in company that are much more tech based than management based, I'd say stick with the engineering graduate degree.
Remster

The other thing to look into is a Dual Degree: MBA / JD · MBA / MSCE (Civil Engineering) · MBA / MSME (Mechanical Engineering)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The other thing to look into is a Dual Degree: MBA / JD · MBA / MSCE (Civil Engineering) · MBA / MSME (Mechanical Engineering)

I wanted to mention those, but didn't want to confuse poor Nigel (he's British after all ;-) )

Not sure if those are offered in OZ either...
Remster

I wanted to mention those, but didn't want to confuse poor Nigel (he's British after all ;-) )

Not sure if those are offered in OZ either...
Hence my initial post, in an effort to prevent this.:S
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

from a prestige POV ECU would be lower on the ladder for Engineering. UWA or Curtin would be significantly higher for enigineering

Yeah ECU doesn't have as good a feel, but appears to have the best Masters for what I'm looking at. UWA are very research based, which doesn't fit my objectives.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.