Hooknswoop

Reversed Link

I just found a link that at first I thought was just installed wrong, with the barrel nut to the outside, but then I checked the lines and the entire line group was 180-out.
This is on a reserve that was assembled and packed and then re-packed by another rigger. There also wasn't a torque mark on the links or lock tite on the threads.

The link really stood out because all the other links were installed correctly. It's not like the link would have failed, just very sloppy work.

Riggers; be careful, take your time, and don't cut corners.

Derek

When we installed my main links we faced them the same way. It seems like every jump they somehow spun around and are facing eachother the oposite ways. I just spin one around to match the other. Does it really matter what way it faces as long as it is not side loaded and the barrel is tight?

Links should be installed with the barrel nuts to the inside, long end on the riser.

If your links are spinning, you must not have slider bumpers, which means your slider grommets are getting damage, which then damages your lines. Do you have slider bumpers?

The link in this case was backwards, which isn't nearly as big as the line group being out of order because they lines were on the link when the link was put on wrong.

Derek

Come on... slinks are newer. If you have failure rate information that would be meaningful. Number of failures is not an equal comparison. Even failure rates are probably very skewed since I'm guessing no slinks have ever failed. Doesn't mean they never will.

Not saying you're wrong that slinks are better though.

Dave

What's gonna happen when there are a whole lot of people using 5-10 year old slinks? Do properly inspected rapide links ever fail? Can a slink be damaged by being stepped on? What other questions does nobody even know to ask yet about them?

Did anyone realize that a manufacturing defect in a grommet could cause an entaglement before it happened?

Rapide links are not as strong as slinks, but they are well proven and well understood. They are prone to failure when not properly cared for/inspected, right? What'd the downside of slinks going to turn out to be? Maybe nothing... but how sure are you?

Dave

They are Slinks being jumped out there witha lot of jumps on them. They take being ignored and re-used better than Rapide links. I think 3+ years is enough to have any long term issues show up. FOrcomparison, look at the Vigil. I wonder what is the most jumps put on a set of Slinks?

Besides, you should replace Slinks when you replace your line set, just like Rapide links, cheap insurance and to prevent any long term use issued with either type of link.

Derek

I had a reserve which was installed incorrectly. Two lines were overlapping the other lines. They were put onto the link in the wrong order. This rig went through a rerve repack 3 times until it was finally noticed after I switched riggers. Did about 100 jumps with my gear like this.

What's gonna happen when there are a whole lot of people using 5-10 year old slinks?

Ask the Europeans. Various forms of soft links have been in use in various countires over there for quite some time.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."