mjosparky

You are an old fart.

If you remember when each state just had one area code. Some people have had the same last 7 digits for decades, but have had to change area codes a few times, without ever moving. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi Billy,

If you remember when each state just had one area code.

Either your memory is going or mine is. California, for example, had two or more from the get go.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Could it be that both of our memories are going? :o

Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the higher population states had two or more area codes to start with, like CA, TX, IL, NY, FL...

Blame the cell phone explosion of the 90's for the proliferation of area codes... fuck, there are now cities with more than one area code! :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi Billy,

If you remember when each state just had one area code.

Either your memory is going or mine is. California, for example, had two or more from the get go.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Could it be that both of our memories are going? :o

Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the higher population states had two or more area codes to start with, like CA, TX, IL, NY, FL...

Blame the cell phone explosion of the 90's for the proliferation of area codes... fuck, there are now cities with more than one area code! :o

Bad memory:D Thats part of being a old fart:)
But I think the area code xplosion was precell phone.

Maybe due to dial up internet, and fax machine's.

:o Me bad :$

I almost forgot those :S long distance phone bills we used to get $$$$, That might be another reason for the first xplosion in area codes.

More phone companies and more phone lines. Remembeer when Ma Bell was the only phone company in town:D
One Jump Wonder

But I think the area code explosion was pre cell phone.

Maybe due to dial up internet, and fax machine's.

This would be correct. I was in the phone business and we made big bucks building, selling and installing the additional equipment needed to handle all the new line requests....all because of the internet explosion and dial-up was first-generation of that. Fax lines weren't too far behind.

People soon learned that having one line sharing all those functions just didn't cut it.

And Billy is right in that the cell phone business really, really, kicked the phone business in the ass with new line needs....hence the proliferation of the area codes.

My first modem was 300 baud. I soon moved to 900 baud and thought that was great. When I go to 28K, I was in heaven.
:D:D:D

That explosion triggered a massive R&D push to concentrate more and more data. Bandwidth handling capacities increased exponentially. Our company was ahead of the game and had a jump start on the rest of the world for that. Our main competitor was not far behind.

....and then fiber optics hit around the early-mid 80s.
NOW we're cookin' with gas!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

When your phone rang and you had no idea who it was.

... When your phone rang and you didn't know if it was for you, or one of your neighbors??

FIFYB| That's right, I'm really old!
You know you're old when you remember gathering at a friends house to watch the FIRST colour TV in the neighbourhood :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When your phone rang and you had no idea who it was.

... When your phone rang and you didn't know if it was for you, or one of your neighbors??

FIFYB| That's right, I'm really old!
You know you're old when you remember gathering at a friends house to watch the FIRST colour TV in the neighbourhood :)

Some old farts did that when the First B&W TV came out:$
One Jump Wonder

You are an old fart when you have to come up for a breath while tying your shoes.

Old Farts don't ties their shoes...they wear zipper boots or those Velcro closed 'tennis' shoes. :)

I stoped wearing the velcro sneakes, about 10yr's ago.:)
Now in the winter we just wear pull on booties if it gets warm enough, flip flops or Teva's. No socksB|

TGIF:D Toes go in first on tight foot, if the shoe doesn't feel right, put shoe on left foot.:$

Time to take a nap:)
One Jump Wonder