mjosparky

You are an old fart.

"Pimp Mobiles" due to the guy's occupation that drove them

Today, young folks want to have their cars "pimped" and you may even spot guys wearing sweatshirt labelled "Sky Pimp" at your DZ. OK, around here, a number of younger folks don't speak English well enough so they don't know what "pimp" means. But some do and think it's funny.
To me, a pimp is a pimp. Not a decent job, to put it politely.
But back to old-fart terms. We used to call them really biiiig wristwatches with bling and glitz "pimp watches" (Zuhälter-Uhren) One of my students had one of those watches on and I approached him "Wow, where did ya get that pimp watch?" - And he just gave me a blank stare. Go figure.

Then there was another group that had fuzzycolored dingo balls

Weren't popular here, the Party leaders considered them "American Un-Culture" (that was really the term: Amerikanische Unkultur)
Reminds me of things at school like:
- "You are wearing rivet trousers?! Home you go!" Yes, jeans were called "rivet(ed) trousers". Youth fought back and called all other trousers "fabric trousers" ;)
- "Your hair is too long!? Home you go and don't you come with if it isn't cut!"
- "Everybody open up their schoolbag, stand next to your chair, stop rummaging!" - Was called "search for pulp and grime items" which was just a search for comics or sex mags from the Evil West.
I turned up at school and wore jeans (no longer banned by this time) and suspenders that had loads of Union Jacks on them. Holy Crap! "You either get rid of them suspenders NOW or we get rid of you!" 1978 that was. Get the sack and leave school without A-levels? Well, I wasn't that brave and gave in.

Dentist office that had a spitoon to rinse and a one speed drill that ran on exposed ropes and pully's.

Oh yeah, my first dentist. An old lady with bottle bottoms for glasses, she looked like a witch to me being just 7 years. No injection, just "Doncha whine, be brave!"

Ah and well, we also did exercises "in case of a nuclear strike" at school: In a subject called "pre-military education" that was mandatory from grade 8 on. (Folks just one year older got spared most of it, grmbl)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

It means fighting between rival gang members, or can refer to the gang members themselves, "gang bangers".

I think I get it.:$

Post "West side story" Where they were slicing and dicing,

Now they have drive by bayonetings and other things they talk about in SC.

To move along

You know your a old fart when you try and type something and you eenndd upp with doublee stikess
and the keyboard isnn't sttickingg.[:/]

Orr wheenn yoou hit the Posst reeply keyyy and you gettt the message alreadyyy posteddd.[:/]

Nurse!!!

R.

It's a reference to a 'sexual activity'. Usually involving one female and several males.

Well, then the term was only known in its old meaning to me B| But in the good ol' days of free love (until the early 70s) it included several members of both sexes.

Among youngsters here, it now refers to a female being do in a rape-style by several males. What's most disgusting to me is the fact that there are obviously females who enjoy this. (Students at college sometimes want to explain new "developments" to old farts and before you can stop it you are told things in a single sentence (hence not stoppable) you don't wanna hear or even know. And if you tell them they usually reply how prude you are...)

OK let's stop talking about this.

You are an old fart when you
- had to check the petrol with a measuring stick,
- only got fresh air into your car as long as the car was moving
- had to bend down and reach for the petrol cock (located in the leg room of the co-driver) to turn it into "reserve" while driving (coz the engine started sputtering and you knew "Heck, running out of petrol!")
- when you had to hand-pump the water for the wipers
- you had to constantly but slightly touch the brake pedal to get some light when reversing at night
- you had a pair of pantihose in your glove compartment in case the FEAD belt tore
- you actually could (and had to be able) change spark plugs

You wanna learn more about this funny car: It#s the infamous Trabant (called Trabi). My first one (in 1984) was a 20-year old Trabant 600 (600 cc two-stroke engine with 23 horsepower, most of the body work made of plastic, but the metal parts (frame etc) would rust as hell) that cost about 4000 GDR Marks (and I got about 700 GDR marks by this time) Strange enough, once you learned how to repair the bloody engine and to prevent the metal parts from rusting etc you had a fair chance to travel around the GDR and it was even quite spacious for its size. No wonder there are still Trabant Fan Clubs...
Look here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Trabant_600_Kombi_l.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Trabant_600_Kombi_hr.jpg

You wanna learn more about this funny car: It#s the infamous Trabant (called Trabi). My first one (in 1984) was a 20-year old Trabant 600 (600 cc two-stroke engine with 23 horsepower, most of the body work made of plastic, but the metal parts (frame etc) would rust as hell) that cost about 4000 GDR Marks (and I got about 700 GDR marks by this time) Strange enough, once you learned how to repair the bloody engine and to prevent the metal parts from rusting etc you had a fair chance to travel around the GDR and it was even quite spacious for its size. No wonder there are still Trabant Fan Clubs...
Look here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Trabant_600_Kombi_l.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Trabant_600_Kombi_hr.jpg

Awww, it's cute. It looks bigger than a Mini. Is it?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

The Trabant, especially the Trabant Kombi (sort of station wagon) was definitely more spacious than a mini. Some years later I had a Trabant 601 and filled its boot (trunk in AmE) with book. WOW, I had to unload a lot as I noticed how heavy the car was loaded. You could fit a standard family and some luggage in it. Not comfortable, but it worked, somehow...

The smallest car sold in the East Bloc was the Polski Fiat 500 which was more or less a Fiat 500, but built in Poland. We called them matchbox cars but were quite impressed how much luggage the Polish were able to transport in them. ;)

The smallest car sold in the East Bloc was the Polski Fiat 500 which was more or less a Fiat 500, but built in Poland. We called them matchbox cars but were quite impressed how much luggage the Polish were able to transport in them. ;)

The smallest car in the west has to be the BMW Isetta. There are actually Isetta fan clubs here in the U.S.

One of the enduring memories for me is being tied to the phone in the kitchen. It was a luxury when we got one of those 20ft handset cords.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

The Trabant, especially the Trabant Kombi (sort of station wagon) was definitely more spacious than a mini. Some years later I had a Trabant 601 and filled its boot (trunk in AmE) with book. WOW, I had to unload a lot as I noticed how heavy the car was loaded. You could fit a standard family and some luggage in it. Not comfortable, but it worked, somehow...

Was it a cardboard one?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

'Captain Midnight' and 'Tom Corbett Space Cadets'

Chuck

Flash Gorden The Mummy, Charlie Chan & #1 son.
Lone Ranger and Tonto . Roy, Dale Evens and Trigger

Saturday morning movies, seats filled with preteens , no grownups in sight. Door prizes;)

R.
One Jump Wonder

Wings on the rear were sort of popular in the old GDR times. Most of them were hand-made (epoxy raisin and stuff) Sort of "Pimp my Ride" and also helped when reversing (car ends where there's the wing) But right, rather optimistic. However, you should see the pimped Trabis at any of the Trabi Fan Gatherings, woohoo. B|