mjosparky

You are an old fart.

Hmmm..

What about nuclear bomb drills in grade school?

Duck and Cover.

Rmember air-raid siren tests once a month? Those things were LOUD. Some were powered by V8's

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Hmmm..

What about nuclear bomb drills in grade school?

Duck and Cover.

Rmember air-raid siren tests once a month? Those things were LOUD. Some were powered by V8's

We still have them. Not for air raids anymore, they're for tornadoes (and other things). Every Saturday at noon.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Watched boys play with tops and marbles. My first car had three on the tree, a pull-out choke, and no side-view mirrors. And we weren't allowed to use calculators my freshman year in college, because only a few people had them (there were two options -- the HP 35 and the HP 45).

Slide rule classes. Climbing down the stairs from a jet. Watching a flight leave from the rooftop of the airport (it's really loud). Sharpening my pencils with a knife.

I can even remember when college students looked like adults :ph34r::o

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Click the bottom right button under the text window that says "url", paste link, then click "url" button again.

:DEnid, OK. I remember looking out the window at the CD guy (neighbor across the street) directing everyone into their holes one night. I could see the tornado in the flashes of lightning. He came to our door and told my folks to get us kids into the hallway with mattresses on either side of us and on top. We didn't have a hole. :S Kinda scary for a bunch of people from Florida.

Thanks for the link to the Duck and cover video.

I wonder where they found all those neat looking old cars to make the movie.:D

Watching the kids in the movie ask the adults for help, and a old man puts his arm around a young girl and leads her into a bldg.:S

My Mom warned me about those people, especially if the had candy[:/]

R.

R.

Marbles... Remember Steelies? They were the hot stuff.

I googled steelies just to make sure, nope never heard of them:(

But we used bottle caps filled them with wax to use like marbles. Worked great on concrete,:ph34r:

R.
One Jump Wonder

Do you know why, there was a 16 RPM setting on record players?

Chuck

Spoken word?

• If you remember 2 (or more) 'sides' on a single records (parallel groves)
    (I can think of 2 examples , 1st Monty Pythion and 2nd was a Horse race game with different outcomes on each track .... ***K I feel old)

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I googled steelies just to make sure, nope never heard of them:(

But we used bottle caps filled them with wax to use like marbles. Worked great on concrete,:ph34r:

R.

Steel ball bearing balls used as marbles. ~1"diameter, We called them steelies. 1960's-ish. Way before your time:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
    -NickDG

Having a dad who's a mechanical engineer had its perks :) 1-2" STEEL ball bearings >:( (Steelos)
    Also have the only rear wheel steer Billy CartB|B|B|B| With ball bearing races for wheels, Quick turns produced Sparks B|B| looked Groovy at night:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
    You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
    My Life ROCKS!
    How's yours doing?

Slide rule classes. Climbing down the stairs from a jet. Watching a flight leave from the rooftop of the airport (it's really loud). Sharpening my pencils with a knife.

Aw, hell. You can do that today. In Hawaii.
    "For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

And we weren't allowed to use calculators my freshman year in college, because only a few people had them (there were two options -- the HP 35 and the HP 45).

As a kid I worked in a Mom and Pop store, and rang up sales on a mechnical adding machine, and counted back the change.

Maybe I am an old fart.
    Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”