TKoontz

Backpacking in Denali

So summer vacation is fast approaching and my friend and I are going to spend about 7-10 days trekking around Denali natl. park.

Right now we're in the research phase and looking up the best (Read cheapest) way to get there from California.

We can do a round trip airfare to Anchorage from LAX for a little less than $600 using Alaskan air, anyone know of something significantly cheaper?

Also, for those that have been before, do you have any recommendations for which units we might want to see or avoid? I'll post pictures after if anyone is interested

Thanks!
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

With only 7-10 days flying and then the train up to the park are about the best. Check with the park to see if there is space in the camp grounds.
Bear spray, not pepper spray. Boat horn.
Smell like a human. No deodorant, flower smelling shampoo, tooth paste.
100% deet and head net.
Leave no trace.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Good points all. Especially the russian women bit. I'll be up there a day before my friend, maybe I'll do some recon...I'd have loved to hitch hike or take some other leisurely route but with work a week or so is the best I can hope for.

Bear and wolf avoidance seem like good ideas, the park gives you bear containers so food *should* be a non-issue, and I run faster than my friend
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

Bear and wolf avoidance seem like good ideas, the park gives you bear containers so food *should* be a non-issue, and I run faster than my friend

Well just to be sure, wouldn't hurt to kick your friend in the side of the knee, that way, you can just walk briskly away. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban