-ftp-

Military exercise, canopy collision, cut-away scariness

looks like the reserve Pilot Chute was OUT ( 1:25 mark ) and THEN the cutaway...

seemed like the main was inflated.. but maybe had line twists..

hairy scarey

talk about Close.....

I'm just a leg:)

But I thought the airborn had different EP's for that stuff.

The Dude must have gotten his training from watching Utube:S.

I'm waiting for his Gopro video;)

[:/]

One Jump Wonder

Yep, reserve pulled before cutaway. Wondered how he pulled it that fast until I saw that.

As best as I can tell he was hanging from one riser. I don't know whether he would have had cross connectors or the other side just stayed open. I've seen cutaway rounds stay inflated to the ground.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

As best as I can tell he was hanging from one riser.

That - with a cross connector - would explain why the main canopy looks so distorted and elongated during the last part of his flight under it, being 'tilted' upwards towards the camera side. Looks like it first happened just about when the two jumpers separated from the entanglement. Wonder if it was deliberate to help fix the entanglement in some strange way or if he was already planning to chop.

I don't know military systems well -- For their gear, they would be taught to cutaway? (With the combination of Capewells, a somewhat maneuverable but not ParaCommander class main, and a pilot chute equipped reserve.)

Deploying the reserve pilot chute before the chop probably saved him some valuable altitude - as long as he kept it from catching on anything before the chop.

if you look real close after they separate. The reason the low main is distorted is because there are still lines connected to the top guy. You can just barely make out the lines, but you can see when the top guy swings back and forth the low canopy kinda rocks with him.

Damn! You are right!
They are especially visible in the moment after the cutaway.
That explains why his descent was no faster than the normal canopy.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

if you look real close after they separate. The reason the low main is distorted is because there are still lines connected to the top guy.

Good call.
Even with just one low res video available, it is much easier to see full screen.

So we can forget the one sided cutaway / cross connector idea.

If one looks at the two canopies relative to each other, it is actually that Mr. Cutaway's canopy is hanging on its side, being pulled down by his weight and up and to the side by the lines caught up with upper jumper.

I know that they aren't speaking English (somebody mentioned Tagalog) but if you listen to the audio, it sure sounds like the crowd is yelling "cutaway". Am I the only one who hears it ? :$ Is "cutaway" one of those english words that has trickled into all other languages? Sort of like "computer" or "bicycle" or "airplane" or "TV"? At least in jumping circles?

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Dang, that was low. If you use the video time marker to estimate his fall time, its pretty clear that he cut away at about 240 ft. About 3.5 secs (and certainly less than 4 secs) from cutaway to being under a full canopy about 20 ft off the ground.

Dang, that was low. If you use the video time marker to estimate his fall time, its pretty clear that he cut away at about 240 ft. About 3.5 secs (and certainly less than 4 secs) from cutaway to being under a full canopy about 20 ft off the ground.

Who says you need a skyhook? :D

Suddenly I want a round reserve, and to learn to spot like it really really counts. ;):P

:D:D

Back when I was learning to spot, practically everyone jumped a round. If you screwed up the spot, it was very evident and you had a long time to think about it while you walked back in. :D