oldwomanc6

Dear Aggie,

Last night, mrowc6 and I were headed home on a two lane road and came up behind a black pickup truck, which was somewhat customized with smoked windows, fancy tail lights and a light rope under the tailgate. We came up to a traffic light where a lane to the right opens up 1/8 mi before the light and continues on for 1/8 mi after the light. This is not a right-turn-only lane. Both lanes are thru.

The accepted (and legal) practice is when the light is red if you wish to leave the slower person behind you pull into this right lane. When the light turns green you accelerate quickly and merge back to the left (you don't do this if you are unable or unwilling to do it--just plain rude to those who are behind you wanting to pass the slowpoke, too). After sitting at the red light, we did this.

Well about a mile later, we look back, a vehicle came up on us at high speed, and lo-and-behold, red and blue lights then came on in the grill in the vehicle behind us. We were not speeding. We immediately pulled over. The vehicle pulled past us (whew!).

Guess what! It was that same truck. >:( It did not go on as if it was on a call (no lights visible). We followed it for a couple more miles at non-speeding speed. It pulled into a right turn lane and as we passed it, it "honk-honked".

Was it someone who had illegal red+blue lights? Was he just messing with us? Was it a real cop? Was he just messing with us (abusing his position)?

We have his tag#, and I want to call this in, but am unsure. If it really was a cop,the last thing I need is to have the cops looking out for me (very small county--very distinctive car), but if it's someone posing as a cop, that's pretty scary, too!

signed,

Miffed Motorist In Maryland
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Many moons ago I was involved in some illegal street racing. I was young, dumb and had a 74 Nova that would tear those Honda's to shreds.

I lined up for a random race with a black Caprice Classic... Smoked the shit out of him only to see some red/blue lights in my rear view. Apparently the cops don't like being beat, so I stopped short of the finish line and let him win.

Dunno if it was a cop or not, but hey, I'll let them win this one. :D

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My sister was pulled over years ago by an unmarked car and she was doing nothing wrong. It was night and she was suspicious so so just lowered her window a little. The guy dressed as a cop must have sensed her suspicion and just said be careful and left. She called the police department in that township the next day and they told her there were no unmarked cop cars in that area at that time. She was very lucky.

Two things:
1. Pass on the left, not the right.
2. Report it.

This was not a case of "pass on the right"

Two thru lanes at the intersection. NO different than if it was two lanes headed south for 18 miles. We were both sitting at the red light waiting for it to turn green. I accelerated and pulled in front of him.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

One thing:

(slower traffic keep right?)

OTOH, do we all do it anyway? Probably yes...all of us.
Kinda hard to pass on the left when the pokey Joe is there doing 20 and the right lane is clear, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

One thing:

Kinda hard to pass on the left when the pokey Joe is there doing 20 and the right lane is clear, right?

The "don't pass on the right" laws pertain to don't pass in the shoulder (non travel lane). Not that you cannot overtake some stupid idiot in the left lane when there is more than one lane in your direction of travel.

Otherwise on a 5-lane highway, we would all be slaved to the doofus in the left lane doing 6 below the speed limit.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

One thing:

The "don't pass on the right" laws pertain to don't pass in the shoulder (non travel lane). Not that you cannot overtake some stupid idiot in the left lane when there is more than one lane in your direction of travel.

Otherwise on a 5-lane highway, we would all be slaved to the doofus in the left lane doing 6 below the speed limit.

Techncially, "Don't Pass On The Right" means just that. Which means that, yes, you can be held hostage by an idiot going slow in the left lane.
Although, also technically, the idiot in the left lane going slowly is impeding traffic (which is a citable offense, though rarely enforced).

The correct thing is for the slower vehicle to move into the right lane and let you go by.
But in a pickup? In Texas Maryland (or anywhere)? oops, misread OP :$

That ain't gonna happen. :P

Edit to fix error and add: You may want to call the tag in and ask if it's a legit cop car. Some places allow (or at least used to allow) red/blue lights on officer's personal vehicles. Others have unmarked official vehicles that are pretty well disguised. If you simply say that this particular vehicle passed you with lights and it wasn't very official looking, they may say it's a "stealth" cop car, or they may thank you because it's a poser.

FWIW, IN uses Mustangs, VA used to use a BMW, there are others that don't look like cop cars, but are occupied by uniformed officers and have all the "cop equipment" inside.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Your state may be different than my explanation will cover.

People can buy those grill lights and install them themselves. However, it is illegal for them to use them. Volunteer firefighters have lights, in Texas they can only be red, no blue and they can only use them en route to the fire or to the fire station to get gear for the fire.

Also, there are many legal ways to pass on the right, even to pass someone to the right by driving on the shoulder., at least in this state.

If you have the tag number, talk to the local authorities, since if it was an off duty officer or a volunteer firefighters, they probably need to be "talked" to (read: disciplined).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'll quit passing on the right when you quit blocking the road. :-) Have a nice day!

If I'm blocking your road, you've got waaay to much horsepower for your own good.
:D:D:P

FWIW, IN uses Mustangs, VA used to use a BMW, there are others that don't look like cop cars, but are occupied by uniformed officers and have all the "cop equipment" inside.

Short story:
A Jaguar. Totally out of place in our neighborhood.
Called a LE friend with the tag number and it turned out to be a cop on stakeout for a drug bust.