airdvr

Vodka

I don't know why but I don't like Vodka but I loooooove my Gin. I really would like to like Vodka, but I just can't do it!

Perhaps it's because vodka tends to be fairly tasteless and without much character and the entire point of gin is to give it a flavor?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

:D

if vodka was water and I was a duck, id swim to the bottom and never come up, but vodka isn't water and im not a duck so pass me the bottle and shut the fuck up I'm a fuckin' drunk...

FIFY
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I don't know why but I don't like Vodka but I loooooove my Gin. I really would like to like Vodka, but I just can't do it!

Oh you would probably love my home made Toffee vodka .... Ice cold and almost as thick as treacle.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Perhaps it's because vodka tends to be fairly tasteless and without much character

:o:o:o guess you never had any good vodka

Oh and by the way, vodka IS water. It is "little water". As voda is water and the k before the end is a diminutive, therefore vodka is littla water.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Perhaps it's because vodka tends to be fairly tasteless and without much character

:o:o:o guess you never had any good vodka

Are you sure? :)

Then again you might want to look up the definition. By definition it is, "to be as tasteless and odorless as possible. http://www.scocia.com/newsite/Gin_and_Vodka.pdf.pdf It's in large part due to how it's made; multiple distillations to very high concentrations of nearly pure alcohol and then watered back down to bottling strength. It's also a big reason why it's so popular in bars, even the low quality stuff mixes and tastes the same with Red Bull or whatever fruity thing your pretty young thing happens to be into.

Flavored vodka, on the other hand, is a different thing and all bets are off; red pepper, bacon, chocolate whatever. And as far as I'm concerned, yeah, whatever.

Personally I like my drink to have a flavor, but not an artificial one, rather a flavor of location or history or preferably both. To pick up a flavor from the ingredients it's made from and then more from the wooden casks it's aged in. A good Scotch is a good example. You'll never get that with vodka which tastes essentially the same the day it come off the still as it does 20 years later. Again, the entire point being it's essentially flavorless.
quade -

Perhaps it's because vodka tends to be fairly tasteless and without much character and the entire point of gin is to give it a flavor?

There are vodkas that are fairly tasteful: Polish Bison Grass Vodka for example.
I was in Poland quite often and when I was around Bialystok I bought Bison Grass Blades. Contrary to what is said in the article above, the blades do have an effect on the spirit. I once even bought the worst spirit available in the GDR - "Kristall Wodka" (also called "Blue Strangler" due to its blue logo) - and "spiced it" with 3 blades for several weeks: The result was a slightly emberish spirit that wasn't too offensive to your palate. (Not really that I made gold from sh*t but... ;)) My son bought me a bottle of original Zubrovka for my birthday, even my wife likes it. Too bad you 'mericans can't taste it :P
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

...and also Gin is a dirivitive of Vodka...

Yes, it's an "infused" (flavored) vodka. The entire point of which is to give it some sort of flavor and character.

I think some people here just don't understand how these things are made.
quade -

Are you sure? I may have had a bottle or two while in Moscow in the 80's.

Then again you might want to look up the definition. By definition it is, "to be as tasteless and odorless as possible.

When I was in Russia, I hated when friends would open a bottle and toss the cap away, meant we were there to finish it no matter what..tough task at times, especially at breakfast! :S

Tasteless & odorless...one of the main reasons the drunks that worked at a production facility I was a supervisor at would guzzle the stuff at lunch-time, when they took a cue from the stoners and began using 'clear-eyes' as well, got hard to tell sometimes who was wasted and who was just stupid. :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sure
  • litre of Vodka
  • Large pack of Werther's Original Toffees - crushed

Put toffees in to vodka - put vodka bottle in dish washer!! (speeds up the disolving process) Then into Freezer.
    Enjoy

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I started infusing vodka's here a couple of months ago....cinnamon and almond roca are done - grapefruit and blood orange are "cooking" and starting next week I will be making a watermelon and dried apricot. I will be taking them to Lost Prairie for DPH initiations.:P

DPH # 2
    "I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
    I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

When I was in Russia, I hated when friends would open a bottle and toss the cap away, meant we were there to finish it no matter what..tough task at times, especially at breakfast! :S

Tasteless & odorless...one of the main reasons the drunks that worked at a production facility I was a supervisor at...

You were a supervisor at a job in Russia???:o
    Me thinks there is a whole set of 'Twardo stores we've never heard!:D
    "There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You were a supervisor at a job in Russia???:o
    Me thinks there is a whole set of 'Twardo stores we've never heard!:D

Wait till he tells us about his nice talks with Leo Tolstoi :P:)
    The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks