wetrock

hang glider death pilot swallows memory card

That is really sad. Sounds like he remembered to turn his camera on, but forgot his pax.

Reminiscent of the video guy who forgot his own rig. [:/]

Some things in this world you just gotta make sure. Chest straps and passenger hook ups are two of those things. I'm an OCD triple checker when I do tandems. I will quit them if I ever become complacent about them.

I still have a $100 bill for anyone who ever catches me on a jump plane with my chest strap not threaded. Keep those eyes peeled.

That is really sad. Sounds like he remembered to turn his camera on, but forgot his pax.

Reminiscent of the video guy who forgot his own rig. [:/]

Or the video of the tandem pair in the door, with the vidiot (outside the door)
frantically signalling to the TI that the passengers harness was not hooked up.:S
(Only the side-straps were connected).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

She was my AFF instructor!!!!

Exited without the damn shoulder attachments....wooo.

:|

I'm with John. Look like a dying spider before exiting with a tandem. Between the attachments points, drogue, and all those damn handles......I checking EVERYTHING.

Not like it's someone's life or anything.
:P

Wow! I'd have thought she might have a little better understanding of how she would be hooked up, and that it didn't look correct. [:/]
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

For clarification, are you talking about TI, passenger, or vidiot?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have a good buddy that's a tandem HG pilot. He did the opposite, left with the student hooked up...him not. Held on to the bar for 1,000 feet until crashing into power lines. Student was fine, instructor suffered broken legs, pelvis, femur, ect....

If it's the same video and incident, the TI that neglected to properly attach a student (and summarily having their ticket pulled) WAS my AFF instructor.
I fired her before I finished my A license....after she stumbled up to me during night jumps with the radio in her hand....jumpers in the air....clearly unable to operate the radio.

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/local/bc/x-rays_show_memory_card_in_hang_gliders_body_rcmp/1d205788

X-rays confirm. I'm really surprised there isn't some bullshit ego contest in the incidents forum going on about this right now.

Sad. There is nothing else to say. Notice how they stripped his license immediately. If I remember correctly I commented on the incident about the TI leaving not connected fully feeling that I thought their license should be rescinded immediately and was pounded by TI's telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about because I wasn't a TI. It was an honest mistake that could happen to anyone. :S

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

X-rays confirm. I'm really surprised there isn't some bullshit ego contest in the incidents forum going on about this right now.

Why? Bored?

On DZ? It's a hang gliding fatality. Maybe there is more drama on the hang gliding site. *shrugs*

Still sad.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hang gliding site is mostly reviewing safety practices to prevent this happening to someone else...and the occasional joke about the law enforcement officer who will retrieve the SD card. Otherwise, a great deal of concern for the family of the young lady.

Hang gliding had strong ties to the hippie movement way back when, so it still has lots of laid back vibes today. Not as much ego as skydiving.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Why? Bored?

LOL. No actually, I'm being quite entertained by bullshit ego fests in other threads. I don't get entertained by ones in the incidents forum. I'm just surprised.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

If I remember correctly I commented on the incident about the TI leaving not connected fully feeling that I thought their license should be rescinded immediately and was pounded by TI's telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about because I wasn't a TI.

Your memory is faulty.

Packerboy: That is just amazing... I'm no TI.. but are you f'ing kidding me... how the hell do you do that? Sure you have the parachute on your back.. so you'll be fine, but these passengers are trusting you with there life. I think that those many TI's that have done that should all have their ratings pulled, because they are obviously not as serious about safety as they should be. At first I thought you were joking...

RR: In conclusion, Packerboy, be careful who you criticize until you have hauled your twelfth tandem student of the day, on the "sunset" load after a long day of packing in the hot sun and droning to altitude in slow Cessnas. We are all at risk of making human errors.

Packerboy: I guess.. my bad. I have screwed up as well.. Last summer I packed the same steering line malfunction for a jumper twice within weeks.

I was a little quick on the post, mainly just because it kind of startled me a bit to read what I was reading. Kudos to you guys for admitting those mistakes.

The most important part is that hopefully some new TI's are reading these posts, and it emphasizes to them the importance of doing gear checks routinely, especially since someone elses life is on the line.

I realize that I am not all that experienced, and that you guys know a lot more about how it all really goes down. Sometimes I just get lost in what I am reading here and forget that fact. I was a little hasty on the critisizing post. Hey, we all make mistakes right? Wink

I had almost forgot about this thread after I originally posted and I would have lost out on an important lesson.. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Fuzzy Wink See you next weekend dude. Just for fun, partyboy Mark for me will ya.

I don't see anyone bashing you, I do see you admitting that others might know more than you.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334