npgraphicdesign

Who doesn't love George Carlin?

I don't.

I've always thought of him more as a "shit," "piss," "fuck," "cunt," "cocksucker," "motherfucker," and "tits"comedian.. Share with me one other thing he's done that he's known for?

Seriously... a whole life and career and what he's known best for is seven words.

Never got it. :S

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

This sums up George Carlin for me.

"Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do. This invisible man has a list of ten things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and torture and anguish for you to be forever, ...and suffer and burn and scream for eternity. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs your money." - George Carlin
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

I don't.

I've always thought of him more as a "shit," "piss," "fuck," "cunt," "cocksucker," "motherfucker," and "tits"comedian.. Share with me one other thing he's done that he's known for?

Seriously... a whole life and career and what he's known best for is seven words.

I suspect George Carlin was never popular, or widely exposed, or widely understood, among the socially-conservative demographics, especially in regions of the country where social conservatives vastly outnumber those who were, and are, not.

Being the generation I am, and having grown up and lived a lot of my life in the Northeast, I've taken away a far different impression of Carlin's career than you have.

So, "Who doesn't like George Carlin?" is kind of like "Who doesn't like chocolate?". The answer, of course, is: "People who don't."

Here's his Wikipedia biography, for what it's worth. In scholarly fairness, it should probably be read in its entirety. I suppose there's enough in there for anyone to cherry-pick stuff out to support one perspective or another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_carlin

Without looking anything up I can think immediately of at least two other things going for him. "The Hippy Dippy Weatherman" and for his dramatic not comic role as the suicidal poets neighbor in "The Prince of Tides". Anyone who has made it as big as George Carlin certainly had plenty going on. To not recognize that is comparable to saying the only thing Carol Burnett is known for is tugging her ear. Phyllis Diller was also a concert pianist. These people worked hard in many areas to get to the top. But I'm certain some people will only remember Carol for tugging her ear and Phyllis for her messed up hair.

I don't.

I suspect George Carlin was never popular, or widely exposed, or widely understood, among the socially-conservative demographics, especially in regions of the country where social conservatives vastly outnumber those who were, and are, not.

Being the generation I am, and having grown up and lived a lot of my life in the Northeast, I've taken away a far different impression of Carlin's career than you have.

So, "Who doesn't like George Carlin?" is kind of like "Who doesn't like chocolate?". The answer, of course, is: "People who don't."

Here's his Wikipedia biography, for what it's worth. In scholarly fairness, it should probably be read in its entirety. I suppose there's enough in there for anyone to cherry-pick stuff out to support one perspective or another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_carlin

The question was... "Who doesn't love George Carlin?" I gave my answer.

I'm really not sure how this turned into a socio-political demographics discussion in Bonfire, but I will not engage photon torpedoes.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You stated "share withe me one other thing he's done that he's known for". I and at least one other gave you an answer which has nothing to do with politics blah blah blah. The fact is he has done many other things and you chose not to acknowledge these things. Then why in the world did you ask to share other things he's done?

You stated "share withe me one other thing he's done that he's known for". I and at least one other gave you an answer which has nothing to do with politics blah blah blah.

Yes, you did. blah blah blah

The fact is he has done many other things and you chose not to acknowledge these things. Then why in the world did you ask to share other things he's done?

That was my mistake. I really didn't care and shouldn't have put it out there.

On a separate note... How about sharing something with us about you in your profile. For all we know, you could be just another troll.

The "7 words" bit is a very minute portion of what Carlin did, however it got a lot of media attention.

I admire the man for being able to step back, objectively observe society, and provide entertaining commentary on the lunacy that we live in. We, as humans, partake in a lot of ridiculous activities that make no sense whatsoever.

Many of his routines are nothing but objective observations about humanity, and that by itself provides for grade-A comedic material.

I think George had something to say and said it as humorously as he could. I think these people are very necessary to a free society, as much as newspapers and other media. He was not my favorite comedian, but was certainly head and shoulders above many of the others.

I was impressed that he made both of his marriages last, ending only when he became a widower each time. In the heady world of show business, I think that speaks volumes about his character.

I think George had something to say and said it as humorously as he could. I think these people are very necessary to a free society, as much as newspapers and other media. He was not my favorite comedian, but was certainly head and shoulders above many of the others.

I was impressed that he made both of his marriages last, ending only when he became a widower each time. In the heady world of show business, I think that speaks volumes about his character.

Agreed.

One thing I can give him was his intellectual approach to associating the lack of logic to many areas of religion, government, etc. But as far as "loving" comedic talent I lean more towards; Eddie Murphy (the early years), Steven Wright, Bob Newhart and Bill Cosby.

Ahhh, Bill Cosby. B| I remember my dad bringing home his albums as they came out new, and the family would gather around to listen to them and laugh our heads off. I still remember my folks having to give me vague explanations about a PG routine called "Midol". :S:D

It was during my renegade Catholic years that his first album came out and when he said, "Noah, you're going to have to take one of those hippos out and bring in another one... you got two males and you need a male and a female..." and the following discourse had me laughing for days. WHAT?!?!?!? :D

Poor Sister Theresa. I hope I didn't drive her insane.

"Toledo Window Box" By far my favorite album especially the cut "Nursery Rhymes" and "Goofy Shit" and "Some Weirds" "the same thing I get when walking through Sears wondering what they did with Roebuck". Why don't we have cheese fondon't for those that don't like cheese fondue. . Refrigerator-Freezer too long it should be called a Frigideezer. Jumbo Shrimp etc.

I updated my profile. The fact is I do not own a computer and am doing this from a second generation kindle which is slow and why I make a lot of spelling mistakes. Sorry you thought I could be just another troll. But even trolls have something to say!

:D:D:D:D

Hey bro!!!!!! It's kinda been a long time hasn't it???

What bride have I been under lately? The same one that's going to cost us a fortune because the city is installing new sewer lines that will now seperate run-off with cotaminated sewerage and we now have to run new laterals from our house to their mains.....nice little price tag for my "bridge">:(

And what's been up with you?

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)