kallend

Memories

It's 32 (2^5) years since I bought my first computer. Adding an extra 16k of memory cost me $100 (1980 dollars). 16G of memory would have cost $100,000,000

It just cost me $100 (2012 dollars) to add 16G of memory to my phone.

That's 1 million times less per byte, even before accounting for inflation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I wrote my first program 40 years ago - in portran, punched manually into cards and run by the local bank at their central office :-)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

It's 32 (2^5) years since I bought my first computer. Adding an extra 16k of memory cost me $100 (1980 dollars). 16G of memory would have cost $100,000,000

yes but at the time you could do things with 16k of memory
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The first computer that I had was a IBM 5100...
32k, 2 cassette tapes, 3in screen B/W.... Had to write all your own software in Basic;)

We paid IBM $28,000 for it, And that was without the dot printer.... Salesman said we would NEVER need more then 32k.....:P

killler....

I wrote my first program 40 years ago - in portran, punched manually into cards and run by the local bank at their central office :-)

I got you beat by 5 years. And mine was on punched paper tape.

yes but at the time you could do things with 16k of memory

Indeed. I wrote a flight simulator that ran in 48k, which included the screen memory.

Adding an extra 16k of memory cost me $100 (1980 dollars)

Sucker! I bought 16K expansion for my Atari 800 for $89. It was the size of a large, thin paperback book. I installed it myself. I was 10.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I got you beat by 5 years. And mine was on punched paper tape.

Fair enough, but I'm a mere 52 years old, so I'm guessing that you have me beat by more than 5 years :P

Incidentally saw my first ever hand-held calculator 42 years ago, an HP :-) still use one and RP on my android phone calculator today.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Adding an extra 16k of memory cost me $100 (1980 dollars)

Sucker! I bought 16K expansion for my Atari 800 for $89. It was the size of a large, thin paperback book. I installed it myself. I was 10.

Yeah, Apple was always expensive. But at least I didn't have to use a cheap Atari:P

The first computer my dad got when I was a kid was a Radio Shack TRS-80. Right about 1979 or 1980. It had a specialized tape deck using cassette tapes to load programs.

It's still in their basement in the original packaging today. Going to be fun cleaning the basement out when the time comes.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I used to joke/dream about some day having a gadget the size of a book of matches that would hold all of my record collection on it. It's here. I also have a hard drive the size of a fat paperback that holds all my movie collection on it and a kindle with my entire library. B|B|

Let's hear it for cheap memory. B|