npgraphicdesign

Has anyone traveled to Bogota, Colombia?

"Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist, sir.":$
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yes, I've spent a good deal of time there and in other parts of the country. There is a parachute club but it only operates every 2 weeks. The flight is out of Bogota and you fly about 35-40 mins to the DZ in Flandes which is 6000 feet lower than Bogota. The flight in is lift #1 so no AAD unless you have a Vigil and offset it the 6k feet. You can land if you wish but most jump in. Others travel by car to the DZ but that is several hours drive and not something I'd recommend you do if you've never been there before or don't speak the language fluently.

As for things to do, Bogota is sort of like New york city, always something to do at any hour. I'd recommend you stay down around the Parque 93 (park 93) area. It's one of the places that most people go to and you can walk around and see things and there are several malls. It's an upper end of town neighborhood area. It all depends on what you want to do. Best bet is pull the hotel doorman or the desk clerk to the side and tell them what you want to go see and they can tell you where to go or better yet, where not to go.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Had a two hour layover there on the way to Ecuador a few years ago. Was informed that the best thing was not to leave the plane, they would not be responsible for our safety and would leave on time - with or without you. Maybe things have changed.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Had a two hour layover there on the way to Ecuador a few years ago. Was informed that the best thing was not to leave the plane, they would not be responsible for our safety and would leave on time - with or without you. Maybe things have changed.

I spent a few days in Bogota a month back, it would be an extreme understatement to say I felt 'ill at ease' in most of the areas I went...

I got a chuckle reading LouDiamond's response...thought to myself, must be nice to be a rock hard special forces d00d ~ Puts a little different slant on how ya see the world when you're the meanest SOB in the valley!

:ph34r::ph34r:B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I lived there for a few years back in the early 80's. Beautiful. I was kinda young, and it was a long time ago, so I can't provide much in the way of specific suggestions, but the Museo de Oro was amazing and had a big impact on me.

If you have some time before/after the conference, there were some great places a bit out of the city, too - Villa de Layva, San Gil, etc. I had a great time as a kid shooting roman candles at the other kids at Christmas in San Gil. Good times...

About five or six years ago I flew a Lear Jet down to Bogota to do an air ambulance trip back to Houston. We had to spend the night for our legal crew rest. Our company briefing before we went was to trust and do only what our handlers (an aviation crew handling company) told us to do.

When we arrived we were introduced to our driver who would take us to the hotel. We were told only to get into his car the next morning to come back to the airport. We were told not to step out of the hotel and to eat all our meals there. When we got to the hotel there were two armed security people with AK-47’s standing in front.

When we went back to the airport the next morning our two medical people got into an ambulance to go pick up the patient, a one month old baby. An armed guard went with them and stayed with them all the way in and out of the hospital. From there it was a routine flight back to the USA.

I can’t say I had a good time in Bogota or felt relaxed there. But I’m sure there are many great people and wonderful places to go. I was told that the reason for all our security was because of the kidnapping and ransom business. Foreign corporate pilots were supposedly prime targets because their bosses or companies supposedly had lots of money. Who knows, maybe it was just a scam so my company had to pay for all the security. I bet if I got with skydivers down there like Lou Diamond did it would be a wild and crazy time!

Sounds like overkill, 6 years ago would be 2006. So when it started getting worse again but still not too bad. Maybe it was an extremely important baby? I mean for a lear, guards, and all it was someone who had money and maybe political clout. In 05 we were unrestricted in the city, by the end of 06 we were told to avoid the Southern part.

BTW, prostitution is legal down there so this crying about the Secret Service is stupid. Unless it directly affected their jobs they were doing then so what. Looks like I'll be going a bit early here in May so I can attend this competition and get a few jumps in.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Hi Jack, ( I just like typing that; probably dumb as all get-out, but I laugh :P ),

to do an air ambulance trip back to Houston

Last week I was talking to a long, long time friend ( and ex-skydiver ) down in Tucson, who had to be air-evac'd out of Puerto Rico last year.

He said it cost him $70k. :o

JerryBaumchen

:o I meant to buy that medical or evac insurance before my last couple boogies but forgot. Maybe I need to look into it again before something like that happens. B|

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I'll be there in a week or so. I head down every so often for business. I enjoy it. Honestly I feel safer there than I do in Memphis, TN. Be aware of your surroundings, stay with your group, just use common sense and enjoy the trip.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I was in Bogota back in 2009. Loved it!

Do....
Visit the Salt Cathedral outside the city.
Go to a salsa club.
Walk around on market day.
Check out some churches.
Take the gondolla up to the top of the mountain to over look the city.
Look people you pass in the street in the eyes, it shows awareness and confidence....making you less likely to be mugged.

Don't....
Carry too much money on you, you probably will be mugged at some point. Just give them a couple bucks and they will go away. Its more like aggressive begging, but still...
Carry your passport on you...leave it in your hotel/hostel and carry a copy if you want.
Dress too flashy. Fit in best you can and your chances of being mugged will decrease.
Look at a map every 2 seconds, it will make you stick out like a sore thumb. Asking for directions is alright though.

There are police/military everywhere, its reasonabally safe to walk around. If you find yourself on a back street with a bunch of kids looking at you, you'll probably end up giving them money (getting mugged).

The rest of the people are beautiful, friendly, and helpful.

Outside Bogota there is a fuck ton of things to do. Rafting, climbing, all sorts of stuff. I know there is a DZ somewhere in the country but I'm not sure where. Also visit Cartagna if you get the chance!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"