davelepka

iPhone info

I need to pick up a couple of iPhones, one for me and one for my son (13). Any thoughts on the different models available? How much better is the 4 over the 3, and what the deal with the different versions of the 4?

Last question, what's the hot ticket for a case or protection of some sort for the one going to my kid? It seems like there are 1000's of cases out there, what's going to protect the phone without being bulky and still look 'cool'.

Thanks in advance for any help. I could do some research online, but aside from the above questions, I don't give two shits about iPhones.

Otterbox is the ticket for protection.

Seconding the otterbox, I am forced to carry an iphone for work. I'm sure the thing would be smashed to bits already if it weren't for the otterbox. It's been knocked off my belt or flown off when I had to run, hit the solid concrete or ashpalt and it's still ticking no scratches. A downside is it does make the phone larger of course.

While keeping it simple, there is a big difference between the iPhone 3 and 4, the 4 being quite a bit better. The iPhone 4 and 4s have less of a margin in difference, mainly the 4s has a faster processor, better video recording and better camera.

I think it's like:

Camera:

iPhone 3: 3.2mp
iPhone 4: 5mp
iPhone 4s: 8mp

Video:

iPhone 3: Regular Video
iPhone 4: HD 720p
iPhone 4s: HD 1080p

The Siri voice control was also only present from 4S on.

I cracked a screen on my iPhone 3, wasn't too terrible to swap with a new one. Once I put the new screen on it, went straight into an Otterbox defender where it worked fine for a while before I sold it to another dz.commer.

I've got the 4 now, and it's in slightly less of a case, primarily because I think the Otterbox defender for the iphone 4's suck.

If you got time and money, wait a few months for the 5 to hit the stores, it's probably going to have LTE and be much faster than the 3G (location will play a big role in that though).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Video:

iPhone 3: Regular Video
iPhone 4: HD 720p
iPhone 4s: HD 1080p

The Siri voice control was also only present from 4S on.

iPhone 3 does not have Video, iPhone 3'S' does though. I have a 3
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am curious as to why a 13yo needs an iPhone. But I guess that is neither here nor there.

If they were available when my kid was 13, I wouldn't have hesitated to give her one provided that she was responsible and didn't have a habit of breaking / losing things.

I may even have used it as an example of "Now you have a thing that's made for adults. Conduct yourself as an adult and you'll get more of these types of things"

It gives a kid a means of contact, camera, video, tunes, games, and the parent the ability to see where the phone is, all in one package. What's not to like about that?
Owned by Remi #?

I'd stay away from the version 3 models. Any one of those is old and well past its life expectancy.

You'll also probably have to have AT&T to use one. If you were determined and wanted to dick around with the phone, I think they can also be hacked to work on T-Mobile, but I don't think that's really your style. ;)

Edit to add: A 3 that's been refurbed by Apple might not be as bad an idea.

Owned by Remi #?

I am curious as to why a 13yo needs an iPhone. But I guess that is neither here nor there.

If they were available when my kid was 13, I wouldn't have hesitated to give her one provided that she was responsible and didn't have a habit of breaking / losing things.

I may even have used it as an example of "Now you have a thing that's made for adults. Conduct yourself as an adult and you'll get more of these types of things"

It gives a kid a means of contact, camera, video, tunes, games, and the parent the ability to see where the phone is, all in one package. What's not to like about that?

Agreed. It also gives you something to take away if they don't act like an adult.

I am curious as to why a 13yo needs an iPhone

Just to be fair, this was for his 14th birthday.

Aside from that, he's had a phone for 2 years, his first phone was his 12th birthday present. I wasn't sure what a 12 year old needed with a phone, but his mom seemed to think it was a good idea and most of his friends already had a phone anyway.

Now I'm not the type to go along with everything his friends have or do, but at the same time I don't want him to feel 'less than' because he doesn't. The phone itself is more than just an object or accesory, it's an avenue for communication and staying 'in the loop', and that's important to a teenager.

Anyway, he managed to hang onto his frist phone for two years with no problems or damage, and the truth is the iPhone was only $100 anyway, so it's not like I spent a fortune (of course paying for the service is going add up, but that's another story).

He's a good kid who stays out of trouble, and does incredibly well in school, and in my book that get's you the 'finer things' in life.

Dave,
I have an IPhone 4 and like it. I have an Otterbox I use at work(steel mills can be tough on smart phones) and a smaller less bulky case that I use for kicking around town with but it needs one of those screen protector films to go with it. The smaller case is tough(I've dropped the phone a bunch and never a scratch. If you are out at the DZ this weekend I'll show it to you. It was rather inexpensive too(under 20 bucks).
It's time for my nightly ritual: Pleasure myself, weep, and repeat.

My son is in the same boat- stays out of trouble and does well in school. He's 11 and has a droid phone. With all the sports, school activities and playing outside, it's nice to have a way to get a hold of him even if it's just to text him and tell him I'm on my way to pick him up. His brother is usually with him so I can get to both of them at the same time.

I've found that he's more responsible with his phone than just about anything else he has so it's working out for him. The droid is a hand me down from my wife but as soon as contract will allow me to, I'll probably bump him up to an iPhone 4. As far as smart phones go, $100 isn't too bad for an iPhone 4. I imagine that if the rumors are true and the 5 comes out this fall, prices on the 4s will be pretty good.

I wouldn't waste the money on a 3. Can you even get one anymore? I guess it depends on what your carrier has too. Right now, my son has a simple clamshell case for his droid and it's holding up well. The Otterbox cases are nice but way too bulky for a kid's pocket. I have a zero chroma for my iPhone with a rotating kickstand that works great. It took a dive onto the street one day when I was running and the phone turned out just fine.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!